Overview of Scrum Values
Scrum is a very popular and widely used methodology used for agile product development or agile software development. Scrum is focused on the association, functioning software, team anticipation, and the flexibility to adapt to emerging project or organization requirements. Scrum is an agile method or framework for implementing the agile software development life cycle. Scrum is based on team anticipation and alliance of the cross-functional teams involved in the project management. In scum agile methodology, the scrum development team is the boss as the team knows the best way to deploy the product development and to deliver the best. In this topic, we are going to learn about Scrum Values.
Scrum development begins with the initial sprint planning, where the agile team members identify the requirements and tasks they can commit to and then develop or create a sprint backlog which is nothing but a detailed list of the tasks to be performed during the sprint execution. A sprint lasts for 2-3 weeks, and there is a scrum meeting on each day of the sprint to track and monitor the project progress. The product prototype or the functionalities of the product is tested, and the prototype is released to collect feedback from the customers and the stakeholders for the improvement actions. The improvement actions are implemented in the next sprint.
The agile product development comprises of two specific roles of the scrum teams, including:
1. Scrum Master: A scrum master is the top dog of any organization. A scrum master is the project manager who outlines the entire project and guides the agile team. They supervise the daily activities of the project, mentor the team, and track and monitors the progress of the project. A scrum master is the one who decides the project deadline and eradicated any obstruction in the way of project implementation.
2. Product Owner: The product owner is the stakeholder or the client, and the product owner is the most important role as the client has the vision and shares that vision of the end product with the team. The stakeholders are constantly updated with the progress of the project so that the product can be reviewed at the end of every phase. The stakeholder and the scrum master together prioritize the work.
Values of Scrum
Following are the core values of Scrum agile methodology:
It is the anticipation and commitment of the scrum team members to achieve success, to carry out and stick to the realistic goals and objectives defined in the initial sprint meeting. The scrum team members have the freedom to divide the hefty chunk of work into smaller portions to success step by step.
The goals in scrum deployment are clear and realistic. As the larger work is divided into smaller tasks or sprits, the focus is on a few things at a time, and there is no distraction or load of work. The focus is on the defined objective of the sprint, and so is the commitment to achieve.
Scrum agile methodology promotes transparency in the process of project management. All the team members are well aware of the project progress and work completed as there is a scrum meeting every day during the sprint execution. Transparency avoids chaos and ambiguity among the cross-functional team members working on the project.
Every team member has their own strengths and is selected to work on the project on the basis of their individual strengths and qualities, and they must have mutual respect for each other. Respect is fundamentally moral and is the key to the success of Scrum. Mutual respect within the scrum team and all the members creates harmony. Thus respecting each other is the golden rule for the success of agile project management.
Scrum is all about adapting to the changes over a period of time. Scrum encourages the amalgamation of traditional agile scrum practices with modern technology to increase productivity and to enhance the quality of the developed product. It encourages safety and transparency in the process. Courage is about being ready and prepared to accept the new agile practices. Scrum agile method takes courage to accept the change as at certain times the changes can be hard, and decision making becomes a tough task. A lot of courage is required to make changes for bringing out improvement in the existing system.
Significance of the Scrum Process
1. The primary artifact in Scrum development or the scrum process is the product or the software which is developed. At the end of each sprint, a prototype is released and delivered to check the functionalities and the improvement areas of the product. The Scrum methodology expects the scrum team to bring the product or system to a deliverable state at the end of every Scrum sprint so that the product can be delivered to the stakeholder.
2. Another important significance of the Scrum process is managing the product backlog or the sprint backlog. The sprint backlog enlists all the functionalities which are to be added to the product in the next sprint as the course of improvement actions. The sprint backlog helps the product owner to prioritize the backlog tasks as per the urgency and lets the most valuable feature be added at top priority.
3. Sprint burndown charts and the release burndown chart is the other important significant outcomes of the Scrum process as they demonstrate the amount of work complement and remaining in the sprint. These burndown charts are very effective project monitoring tools in agile software development to schedule and manage the sprint and the product release.
Scrum methodology is driven by the above-mentioned scrum values, and the scrum master is the driver. It is the duty of the scrum master to incorporate these scrum values within the scrum team to achieve scrum success. The scrum master must interact with the team and the product owner to ensure that the sprint backlog is created and utilized efficiently. Thus by incorporating the scrum values, an environment for learning through experimentation is created.
This has been a guide to Scrum Values. Here we discuss the values, roles, and significance of the Scrum Process. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –