Difference between QuarkXPress and InDesign
QuarkXPress was released in 1987 for Macintosh. QuarkXPress is owned and developed by Quark. It’s work on WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) environment. QuarkXPress is desktop publishing software (DTP) which is used by graphics designer, marketing and corporate professionals. For different applications, for example, to create the layout, produce the advertisement and many more things. QuarkXPress is multilingual software that supports 36 languages excluding English. This software imports various formats of files like pdf, illustrator and EPS files.
The main applications of QuarkXPress are listed below.
With the help of this software, we can create and produce banner, stickers, broachers, magazine, book, catalog, flipbooks, newspaper, Print, book and user guide, financial report, logo design marketing Ads, professional print out and digital output.
QuarkXPress 2017 comes under four major categories.
- Image and vector
- Typography and text
- Customer wish list items
- Digital publishing
Quark Inc. launches QuarkXPress 1 which supports on Mac OS only by 1987.
The most recent version of this software is QuarkXPress 14.1 launched by Oct 2018. Which operate and supported by both MAC OS as well as Window operating system. The latest version enabling to support eBooks, web and mobile apps.
InDesign software was owned by Adobe system which was developed by Adobe by 31 Aug 1999, InDesign is basically desktop publishing software (DTP) which is used by graphics designer, marketing and social professionals for different applications, for example, to create the layout, for combining the text and images, to designing the eBooks. This software provides a platform to create professional pages which can be published and distributed in print or online.
The main application of Adobe InDesign is listed below.
posters, banners, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, presentation, book, eBooks books cover, postcards, stickers, comics etc through this software file can be shared in different ways like digital as well as print format. This software suitable for both Mac OS and Windows.
InDesign may be used to conjunction with other application which is part of clouds service.
Adobe InDesign versions.
Adobe InDesign launches its first version InDesign 1.0 by Aug 1999 with the intent to replace PageMaker. In 2002 they launch InDesign 2.0, which was the first version to support Mac OS X.
Later on Adobe launch InDesign version InDesign CS by Oct 2003.CS format which stands for the Creative Suite. This service is available for onetime payment. The last version of this series is CS6 launched by Apr 2012.
The latest Series launched by Adobe is CC, InDesign CC by Jan 2014, CC stands for Creative Cloud, and InDesign CC is a subscription Base service which can buy by monthly or annual.
Subscription. It provides bundle package including photoshop.illustartor etc.
Adobe launches the latest version in this series for InDesign software it’s CC 2018 (22.214.171.124) by October 2018
These are some feature that makes InDesign better than QuarkXPress
- Text setting:- Provide a special setting for local language for i.e. Arabic
- Bidirectional text flow:- Its allow writing Left to right or vice versa
- Table of contents:- provides a set of the table of contents according to local language
- Indices:- Indices can be write down according to Languages
- Importing and exporting:- It can import QuarkXPress files including the 50import/export files retaining the layout and contents in the same manner
- Reverse layout:- similar to text layout feature is reversible when reversing layout document
- Complex script rendering:- they support Unicode character encoding with local languages
Head To Head Comparison Between QuarkXPress and InDesign (Infographics)
Below is the top 16 difference between QuarkXPress vs InDesign
Key differences between QuarkXPress and InDesign
Both are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major difference:
- New pdf print engine.
- Direct InDesign IDML import.
- Optimized resolution.
- Xenon graphics Feature.
- Digital preview improvement.
- HTML5 export optimization.
- Create an unlimited single android app.
- Upgraded font listing.
- Updated color fonts support.
- First type open type control.
- Your team can work on the same layout simultaneously.
- You can create your own libraries with text, colors, graphics etc and share with your team.
- Imports comments and edit from your pdf.
- Your layout adjusted automatically whenever you change the size of the document.
- Images are automatically resized and fit to screen.
- You can browse different font.
- You can design with fonts of multiple colors.
- You can create footnotes in the table.
- It’s easier to add spacing in the paragraph and you are enabling to share in the same style.
QuarkXPress vs InDesign Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between
|The Basic comparison||QuarkXPress||InDesign|
|Operating system||Classic Mac OS, Mac OS, Microsoft Windows||Windows and Mac OS|
|Quality vs. Quantity||Feature rich software||Quality rich software|
|License||Lifetime license||Subscription base License|
|Colors||Its support hexachrome color||It doesn’t|
|Page Size||48 Inch Square (QX 6.0)||216 Inch Square|
|Installation||Concurrent installation is prohibited||Concurrent installation permitted|
|Export JDF files||Yes||No|
|Convert print to HTML for use in Dreamweaver||Yes||No|
|Design web page compatible with Dreamweaver||Yes||No|
|Import flash swf files for pdf||No||Yes|
|Support for illustrator layers||No||Yes|
|Drag and Drop from illustrator||No||Yes|
|Photoshop transparency control||Yes||No|
|Photoshop like palette controls||Yes||No|
|Control Photoshop spot colors||Yes||No|
QuarkXPress focused on adding to more new features rather than improving previous tools and features. One side Quark focuses on improving various types of HTML tools so that you can create multiple layouts in a single document but another side their typographic and layout feature not updated. So why we called QuarkXPress is feature-rich software
Adobe InDesign does not focus on only adding a feature, they try to improve the previous feature as well. For i.e. Adobe InDesign have a Typographic feature more powerful than QuarkXPress but what Adobe did, they improve in newer version InDesign 2.0 as well. Adobe InDesign focuses on improving performance and speed so that’s the reason why Adobe InDesign giving better performance than any other competitive software.
This has been a guide to the top difference between QuarkXPress vs InDesign. Here we also discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –