Updated June 9, 2023
Introduction to Penetration Testing Open Source Tools
Many open-source penetration testing tools are available to detect security flaws in a network, server, or web application. These tools are very important because they help you to find “unknown vulnerabilities” which cause a security breach in software and networking applications. Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing (VAPT) tools target the device as a hacker targets it within the network. The device has to be fixed if a security breach is possible.
List of Various Open-Source Tools
So, here is a list of various open-source tools.
Netsparker is an efficient vulnerability scanner for web applications that automatically detect XSS, SQL Injection, and other vulnerabilities in web applications and web services. It is available as an on-site solution and as a SAAS solution.
Features of Netsparker:
- Precise identification of dead vulnerabilities with advanced Proof-Based Scanning Technology.
- The scanner automatically detects custom 404 error pages and URL rewrite rules.
- REST API for smooth integration with the SDLC, systems for monitoring bugs, etc.
- It is a highly configurable system that Scans 1,000 web applications in 1 day.
Features of Acunetix:
- It scans all variants of XSS, SQL Injection, and 5000+ additional vulnerabilities.
- It can detect over 1400 WordPress cores, plugins, and other vulnerabilities.
- It is Scalable and fast as it crawls thousands of pages without interruptions in less time.
- It provides Integration with popular WAFs.
- It is Available Onsite as well as a Cloud solution.
To detect and monitor SANS top 25 and OWASP top 10-based vulnerabilities, Indusface WAS provides manual penetration testing and automated scanning.
Features of Indusface:
- Its Crawler scans single-page applications.
- It has a Pause and Resumes functionality.
- Automated Scanning and manual Penetration testing Reports can be seen on the same dashboard.
- It provides Unlimited proof of concept requests as evidence of vulnerabilities identified.
- Optional WAF integration to provide Zero False-positive instant virtual patchings.
Aircrack is a popular and easy-to-use wireless pen-testing tool. It scans vulnerable wireless connections.
Features of Aircrack:
- Aircrack supports more cards or drivers.
- It is available on all OS.
- It provides Support for Fragmentation attacks as well as WEP dictionary attacks.
- Improved tracking speed.
5. Nexpose Rapid 7
Nexpose Rapid 7 is a widely used and popular vulnerability management tool. It scans and detects vulnerabilities in real time.
Features of Nexpose Rapid 7:
- It offers a Real-Time View of the Risk.
- It brings progressive and innovative approaches which help the user to secure from attacks.
Nessus is a scanner that is the most robust software vulnerability identifier. It provides a wide range of website scanning, sensitive data searches, compliance checks, IP scans, etc., and helps to find the system’s “weak spots”.
Features of Nessus:
- It provides an easy-to-use and interactive GUI.
- It is an effective scanning engine.
- It helps in Generating vulnerability status reports in different formats.
- It has Fast activated and deactivated attack modules.
- It provides a pause and resumes a scan or an attack for the pen test.
W3af is a popular Web Application Attack and Audit tool. It helps detect and exploit over 200 vulnerabilities in web applications such as XSS, SQL injection, DoS, DDoS, etc.
Features of W3af:
- It has a user-friendly console and graphical interface.
- It provides security from Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), CRLF Injection, SEL Injection, and Xpath Injection.
- It also provides Command execution detection.
Wapiti is another widely used penetration testing tool. It provides auditing of the security of web applications. Wapiti supports importing cookies, GET, and POST HTTP methods for vulnerability checks.
Features of Wapiti:
- It helps in Generating vulnerability reports in different formats.
- It can activate and deactivate attack modules quickly.
- It Supports HTTP as well as HTTPS proxies.
- It provides Automatic deletion of a parameter in URLs.
- It offers activation and deactivation of SSL certificate verification.
- Users can Extract URLs from Flash SWF files with the help of Wapiti.
In this article, we have seen various open-source tools for penetration testing. You can choose any of them based on your requirements. We hope you will find this article helpful.
This is a guide to Penetration Testing Open Source Tools. Here we discuss the introduction and various Open Source Tools, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –