Page Numbers in Excel (Table of Contents)
Page Numbers in Excel
We come across data, which needs to be printed. When we print the data and want them to be in order we put page numbers in it. Similar to MS Word, In Excel, we can also put page numbers to our documents when we print it.
As the name itself suggests page numbers are used to order our documents when we print it. Suppose we want to start a new document and start it from where the previous document ended, let’s say it was page number 49. We can start numbering our new document from page number 50.
We insert Page numbers in a worksheet which do not display in a normal view. It is displayed in Page Layout view, but it is visible when the document is printed on the sheets of paper.
There are two ways to Insert Page Numbers to Excel:
- Insert Page numbers to a single worksheet.
- Insert page numbers to multiple worksheets.
We are going to learn both of them with examples.
How to Insert Page Numbers in Excel?
When we insert page numbers in excel by the above steps:
4.9 (2,180 ratings)
- Go to View Tab & Page layout view.
- In the footers, section, select any block and in the design tab under Header & footer controls select Page number.
- After inserting page number type a word “Of” and then click on Number of pages.
- Click on anywhere in the sheet and the sheet is ready with the page numbers.
- Click Ctrl + P to print the document.
The page print preview shows the document has page numbers.
- After the document is ready with pages, click on Normal Layout in the view tab.
How to Use Page Numbers in Excel?
These Insert Page Numbers is very simple and easy to use. Let us now see how to use the Page Numbers in Excel with the help of some examples.
Page Numbers in Excel Example #1
Insert Page numbers to a single worksheet.
- Click on the worksheet you want to insert page number on.
- Go to View Tab, Click on the Page Layout section.
- By default, Normal view is selected in Excel, when clicked on Page layout view an option appears for headers and footers.
The above image appears on the top of the page. In the bottom of the page, we get an option to add footers.
- There are three blocks in the footer section. Click on any one of the blocks where you want to insert the page number.
I have written a text “Third block” inside the 3rd block to highlight the third block.
- When we click on any one of the blocks, a design tab appears in Header & Footer Tools.
- In Design Tab, there is an option of Page number & Number of pages.
- Now in the block where we want to insert page number and click on “Page Number”, a code appears in the block. Write the word “OF” after the code.
- Now again in the design Tab, click on Number of Pages. Another code appears in the block after the word “OF”.
- Now click on anywhere in the sheet, and the sheet is ready with page numbers.
- Currently, our sheet does not contain any data so, it shows a total number of pages 0 and a null value for the page number.
Now let us practice with some data in the sheet.
Page Numbers in Excel Example #2
Our second sheet has values in column A & B up to cell 230.
Let us give a page number to this worksheet as well.
- This data is on sheet 2 so we click on Sheet 2, named as “Random Data”.
- Again, go to the view tab and click on the page layout section.
- Now the option pops up for headers & footers. The top section is for the headers and the bottom section is for footers.
- Click on any block of footers and then click on Page number from the Design Tab.
- A code pops up in the block. Now type the word “OF” after the code.
- Again in the design tab of headers and footers section, click on a number of pages. Another code pops up in the block after the word “Of”.
- Now click anywhere on the sheet and the page number is ready for the worksheet.
There are total five pages in the worksheet and the page number is first. Now let us learn to insert page numbers in multiple worksheets at once in the next example.
Page Numbers in Excel Example #3
There are two sheets of sheet 3 & sheet 4. We will try to insert page number on both the worksheets.
- Hold control and click on sheet 3 & sheet 4 to select both the sheets.
- In the view tab, click on a page layout.
- A design tab appears, in the design tab in headers & footers section click on a page number in the third block.
- Write the word “Of” and then click on Number of pages in the design Tab.
- Another code pops up in the block after the word “Of”.
- Now click anywhere in the sheet and page numbers are ready for both the pages.
The above image is for the sheet 3 & the below image is for sheet 4.
Explanation of Page Numbers in Excel:
- Page number in excel is a useful tool to organize the data if we need to have the data in printed form.
- Page number in excel data can be seen in Page layout form but not in Normal view.
Things to Remember About Page Numbers in Excel:
- A page number is displayed in Page Layout View, not in Normal view.
- Footers has three blocks and page number can be inserted in any one of them.
- Once the Page number is inserted, when the document is printed it contains the page number.
We can choose the starting number for page number from the following steps:
- In the Page Layout Tab click on Button as shown in the screenshot.
- A page setup dialog box appears as below:
- By default, the first-page number is Auto we can change it to the desired number.
This has been a guide on Page Numbers in Excel. Here we discuss how to Page Numbers in Excel along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –