Difference Between Node.js vs Go
What is Go?
Go is an open source programming language developed at Google by developers, first released in 2009. Go was created by combining the advantages of existing programming languages to achieve better performance. Go structure is a combination of basic principles of C and Python programming languages. Go is simple, strong, static, structural and easy to readable with an effective way of handling concurrent programming with huge performance improvement over other programming languages. Go will be used as a primary choice for developing concurrent applications as technology majors Google, Dropbox and Docker are already started using Go. Go is also called as Golang. It has very limited tutorials which are being developed as its popularity increasing year by year. Though Go has a good standard library, garbage collection handling, and dynamic interfaces, it is not the best choice for web development but a great choice for real-time application development, cloud infrastructure, microservices, and networking development.
What is Node.js?
Head To Head Comparison Between Node.js vs Go (Infographics)
Below is the top 7 difference between Node.js vs Go Performance
Key differences between Node.js vs Go
Both Node.js vs Go Performance are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between Node.js vs Go:
- Building blockchain applications with Node.js is possible but with Go is much easier to build blockchain applications.
- Go has the better raw performance for CPU and memory-based tasks whereas Node.js has less performance comparatively but in real-time, both Go vs Node.js will give satisfactory results.
- Go has excellent scalability and concurrency ability as it uses goroutines by which threads will be managed and they handle communication in parallel very effectively whereas node.js is single threaded and event call-back mechanism for communication which has scalability is less elegant but Node.js promises to do the job.
- Node.js has better error handling as it uses “throw/catch” mechanism to catch errors immediately after occurrence whereas Go needs explicit error mechanism as it gives errors after program flow completes, which is a difficult process but finally gives reliable applications which will be consistent.
- Node.js has the better learning curve as it is a popular language, it has a lot of resources and forums for learning and assistance whereas Go language is a new language available with few learning sources and difficult for self-learning, clear doubts as we have minimal resources.
- Node.js has good developer availability as it is a popular language, obviously a lot of developers will possess Node.js skills whereas finding Go developers is a difficult task as it is a new programming language, few developers only available and they will be in high demand.
Node.js vs Go Comparison Table
The primary Comparison between Node.js vs Go are discussed below:
|The basis of comparison Between Node.js vs Go||
|Performance||As Node.js is based on JavsScript which is interpreted language is generally slower than compiled languages. But in real life Go and Node.js provides satisfactory results as overall performance will be affected by so many factors.||Go gives a good raw performance for CPU and memory-bounded tasks as it is based on C language which is good at performance. So Go is the real winner in terms of performance.|
|Concurrency||Node.js is a single threaded and uses event-callback mechanism. So we can’t achieve concurrency using it.||Go language uses goroutines and lightweight thread communication mechanism to achieve concurrency as it is elegant and seamless due to channels.|
|Scalability||Node.js is weaker in terms of achieving the parallel process for large projects as it uses event callback mechanism though it will get done a job for smaller projects||Whereas Go has “goroutines” which is a big advantage as they handle parallel threads very effectively. In general parallel tasks will be complex but with Go, we can do simply.|
|Tools for Developers||Node.js has so many tools available for developers to develop every possible application as we have platforms, examples, and libraries.||As Go is a new language, it has good libraries and packages to use but comparatively, with node.js it has less tool as a developer will do more programming work.|
|Error Handling||Node.js uses “catch/throw” mechanism for error handling as errors will catch immediately after the occurrence and familiar among developers. But in last final application will be sub-optimal||Go language uses explicit error handling as error codes return after program flow completes – which is a difficult process but gives reliable application with consistency.|
|Developers availability||Node.js has a lot of developers as it is a popular language for web development. We can easily form a team with a different level of Node.js knowledge people.||Whereas Go, we have very fewer developers as it is a new programming language. Still many are learning as resources also minimal. Forming a team with Go developers is a difficult task.|
Conclusion – Node.js vs Go
Finally, it’s an overview of Node.js vs Go language. I hope you will have a better understanding of these Node.js vs Go programming languages after reading this article. As we compared both Node.js vs Go in several aspects and each has advantages and disadvantages, so it will be difficult to say one is better than the other. From the performance aspect, Golang is better than Node.js but you need to decide based on the project, its size, and structure, development plan based on your business requirements. Node.js is popular and widely used for backend development whereas Golang is highly consistent and performance used for backend development.
This has a been a guide to the top differences between Node.js vs Go. Here we also discuss the Node.js vs Go key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following Node.js vs Go articles to learn more –