Updated March 4, 2023
Difference Between Go and PHP
Go vs PHP is two of the important languages in the Software Development Industry. Both Golang vs PHP have some similarities in nature, but there are also many differences between Golang vs PHP at the same point in time. Here, we will be going to have a detailed discussion on Go vs PHP.
Go is also known as Golang, which is basically a programming language that can be used for quick machine code compilation. Google creates it. It is a statically typed, compiled language. It provides the concurrency mechanisms that make it easy to develop multicore and networked machine level oriented programs. It’s fast, dynamically typed and interpreted language. It was initially declared in November 2009. This is basically implemented in the tradition of C and has been modified many features to implement the best practices.
Features of Go Programming:
- It provides support for interfaces and type embedding.
- It provides fast compilation support
- It provides inbuilt concurrency support
- It is a statically typed language
- It has large community support
- Google backs it
- It provides fast compilation times
- It is simple and easy to implement
- It is used to provide high performance.
- Libraries present in the Go language are not established
- In the case of Go, all the library files must have a single package
- It doesn’t have generics
- It creates a dependency factor on other artifacts while working on multiple projects.
PHP is basically server-side scripting and also a general-purpose programming language designed for web development. Rasmus Lerdorf initially developed it in 1994. It is dynamically typed, fast and flexible language. It can be implemented in combination with various web template systems and web development frameworks. The PHP interpreter normally implements the code processed through PHP. The standard PHP interpreter was initially released under PHP License.
Features of PHP Programming:
- It is a dynamically typed language
- It is a server-side scripting language that is embedded in HTML.
- It provides support to different databases, including MySQL, Sybase, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- It provides support to a large number of different protocols like IMAP, POP3, and LDAP.
- It is open-sourced
- It provides large community support
- It provides great frameworks and continuous improvement process
- It provides easy deployment procedures and corresponding tool supports
- It provides good community-packages
- It has a fragmented community
- It has a slower execution time
- Limited Visibility
- It has inconsistent API
Head To Head Comparison Between Go and PHP (Infographics)
Below is the top 5 difference between Go vs PHP
Key differences between Go and PHP
Both are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major difference:
- Go is basically a programming language that can be used for quick machine code compilation, whereas PHP is basically server-side scripting and also a general-purpose programming language designed for web development.
- Go is a statically typed language, whereas PHP is a dynamically typed language.
- PHP uses the core PHP language for the templating purpose, and thus, the browser, through sent HTML code, processes the PHP code, and the output is sent to the browser whereas, in the case of GO, it normally uses a simple templating system.
- There is large community support for Go language, and since Google also backs it, its community support increases a little more than that of PHP.
- PHP is dynamically typed, whereas Go provides support for the environment adopting patterns that are similar to dynamic languages.
- Go has features like channels and goroutines, which are not present in the case of PHP language.
- Go provides a ‘go fmt’ tool support that automatically formats the source files, whereas this is not present in the case of PHP language and its corresponding artifacts.
Go vs PHP Comparison Table
The primary Comparison between Go vs PHP are discussed below:
|The basis of comparison
|Go is also known as Golang, which is basically a programming language that can be used for quick machine code compilation. It is created by Google.
|PHP is basically server-side scripting and also a general-purpose programming language designed for web development
|Go is a statically typed language. In this case, the declared variable type is static, and thus, the remaining all can contain only the data of the same type.
|PHP is a dynamically typed language. In this case, the variable can be of any type like it could be a number, string, object, Boolean or array.
|Go has a built-in tool to receive and install third-party libraries, and it follows very strict approaches while using external package libraries.
|In the case of PHP, it doesn’t have any package management tool, and all the dependent and required packages need to be manually copied to the correct location to work properly.
|The main implementation of Go is normally in machine-level learning and its corresponding data science and artifacts analysis.
|It is normally used to perform system functions, handle forms during the web development process. It can also work web page restriction methods in accordance with user access to the web pages.
|There is a lot of community support for Go and its other versions, and also being backed by Google, its community support increases a little more than that of PHP.
|PHP also has a huge backup and lots of community support for continuous system improvement as per the current standards.
Conclusion – Go vs PHP
After comparing Go vs PHP Performance over a range of factors, it can be concluded that these are the two important languages for application development, but at the same point in time, each one has its own pros and cons. So, before choosing any one of them, developers should learn and analyze different aspects of both Golang vs PHP languages. Thus, based on the type of project need, time of work, and other discussed aspects, any of these two should be selected to reach the desired goal.
This has been a guide to the top differences between Go vs PHP. Here we also discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following Go vs PHP articles to learn more –