Introduction to MySQL OpenSource
This article is intended to provide information on one of the RDBMS software called MySQL. So before jumping into MySQL let’s get an overview of what SQL is and What RDBMS is. SQL is an abbreviation for Structured Query Language. SQL is a programming language that is used to query the structured data present in the Relational Database. SQL is used for storing, accessing and manipulating the data in the database. SQL provides several language elements like Clauses, Expressions, Predicates, Queries, and Statements. It also provides procedural programming capabilities that help to write the entire block of code in functions or procedures.
What is RDBMS?
RDBMS is an abbreviation for Relational Database Management System. RDBMS is a collection of programs that allows to store and manipulate the data. RDBMS always stores structured data. The data in RDBMS is stored as database objects in the form of Table. A table consists of a collection of related entries in the form of rows and columns and a group of related tables is stored in a database. Various companies like Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Teradata and many more provide RDBMS with different capabilities, but the main purpose of all the RDBMS is the same.
What is MySQL?
MySQL is an open-source relational management database system. MySQL is fast and easy to use RDBMS which is being used to develop various small scale and large-scale applications. It is being widely used by various applications like Joomla, WordPress, Drupal and many more. MySQL is popular because of the various features it has. \
Some of them are listed below:
- MySQL Software is released under an open-source license. So, there is nothing to pay for. It can be used freely.
- MySQL Software works on various operating systems and can be used with various programming languages like Java, C, C++, PHP and so on.
- MySQL Opensource uses standard SQL language to query the data.
- The maximum data size that the table stores is based on the operating system constraints on file size.
Is MySQL OpenSource?
MySQL Software is an Opensource RDBMS software. The source code of MySQL OpenSources is available under the terms of GNU General Public License, as well as under a variety of proprietary agreements. For Proprietary use, several paid versions are available that offer additional functionalities. MySQL was originally developed by a Swedish firm called MySQL AB which is now owned by Oracle Corporation. MySQL server software edition is available in different editions like Commercial edition and Community editions etc which are explained below:
- MySQL Community Edition: It is a freely downloadable version of MySQL RDBMS that is supported by an active community of open source developers. There are a lot of forums where users can post their queries and get all the updates on MySQL.
- MySQL Commercial Edition: MySQL is available as a paid version under this edition. Under commercial edition, MySQL Opensource is available in different editions that are mentioned below.
- MySQL Enterprise Edition: It has the most comprehensive set of features, management tools, and technical support to achieve scalability, reliability, and uptime. This reduces the risk involved in cost and complexity in deploying, developing and managing business-critical applications.
- MySQL Standard Edition: This edition enables us to deliver high-performance and scalable Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) applications. It provides transaction-safe, ACID properties complaint database.
- MySQL Classic Edition: Classic Edition is provided as an embedded database for ISVs (Independent software vendor), OEMs (Original equipment manufacturer) and VARs (Value-added reseller) for developing read-intensive applications using the MyISAM storage engine. It is proven as a high performance and zero administration database.
- MySQL Cluster CGE: It is a distributed database providing linear scalability and high availability. It provides various features like in-memory, real-time access with transactional consistency across distributed datasets. It has a globally distributed cloud infrastructure. It also provides a replication factor for the data between clusters across geographical sites which helps to prevent data loss.
Features of MySQL Opensource
- Relational Database System: MySQL OpenSource is a relational database system.
- Client/Server Architecture: MySQL is a client-server system. There is a database server installed in some system and many clients try to communicate with the server to query the data. The client can run on the same machine as the server or it might be on different machines also.
- Query Language: MySQL Opensource uses Structured Query Language is a database programming language.
- Replication: It allows the contents of the database to be replicated onto the number of computers. This feature is provided to prevent data loss in cloud infrastructure.
- Platform Independent: MySQL server can be installed on different operating systems.
- Connectors: MySQL Opensource provides a different type of connectors like ADO.Net, JDBC and ODBC, Node.Js driver, etc, to connect MySQL with various programming languages like Java, Node.Js, Python.Net and many more.
- Easy to use: MySQL is easy to use. It is available both as an editor also as a command-line interface.
So, from the above points, you must have got an idea about MySQL Opensource and its availability. So, after going through the details about the MySQL Opensource we can now conclude that MySQL is one of the best RDBMS databases that provides a lot of features. As we now know that it is available both as open-source and a commercial edition. Users can choose the MySQL edition based on their requirements. Open source edition is best suited for learning, development or for exploration purposes. It can be used by students or those who want to learn any RDBMS database. It can be easily downloadable and installed. Since Commercial edition is a paid version it can be mainly used by companies or institutions for developing business-critical applications as this edition provides technical support like deployment, maintenance, availability that reduces the risk of complexity. The commercial edition is also available in the cloud making it highly available.
This article has been a guide to MySQL OpenSource. Here we have discussed RDBMS, SQL, and features of MySQL OpenSource. You may also look at the following article to learn more –