How to Install Kubernetes?
Microservices being the buzz term in recent times is an architecture pattern of application development. It is a collection of services that are
- Highly testable and maintainable
- Loosely Coupled
- Ability to deploy independently
- Woven around business capabilities
It empowers business to continuous delivery, deployment of large, complex applications with an ability to grow its technology stack.
Brief Introduction about Kubernetes
It has become the leading platform for modern cloud-native micro-services. The growing demand for Kubernetes in recent times has some astonishing factors behind it – Its cloud-native design, portability and being open-source.
Steps to Install Kubernetes
There are 2 parts involved to install Kubernetes
- First, we have to install the Kubectl and
- Later followed by Minikube
We will focus on the later part i.e. Kubectl. So, Kubectl is a command line tool for install Kubernetes. A user of Kubectl can easily deploy and manage applications and related functionalities on Kubernetes. Kubectl empowers its users to verify and inspect cluster resources, Creation-deletion, and updating of components, status details and deploy & run applications in K8.
Step 1: Follow this link Kubectl here a user will get the details of Kubectl installation process. It looks like this – install Kubectl link is highlighted in the screen.
Step 2: After you click on the link the below screen opens up
4.7 (3,220 ratings)
It contains all the OS and platforms details, we will focus on the windows part which is also present in the later section of the page.
Step 3: There are again two ways to install Kubectl
- Via Chocolatey
- Via Scoop
Have a look of these
Step 4: A user has to write the below code for installing these.
- For Choco: choco install kubernetes-cli
- For Scoop: scoop install Kubectl
Step 5: Once these steps are complete a user has to save the file in any desired location on the Windows system. Then add the kubectl.exe folder location in the path variable, the details are shown below –
‘Advanced System Settings>Advanced>Environment Variables>Path’
Means you have to add this path variable to the location you have saved kube.
Step 6: Now open a command prompt (as known as cmd) and type the keyword ‘kubectl’ this will allow the users to see all the valid commands which are supported by kubectl.
With this the Kubectl is installed in the user’s system, moving ahead we will now focus on the Minikube installation
Step 1: Download the Minikube version from this link. At present the version is v0.35.0
A screen of the above link looks like this
We can see that different version details are mentioned. We will focus on the windows part and click on the link mentioned in the screen shown below.
Step 2: After the installation is complete, I need to rename the file with a .exe extension (like the way we did for kubectl).
Now open the command prompt and type the following command –
Command – Minikube start
Let’s see what details a user will get after this command.
Minikube install is almost complete. Follow the below screen –
Step 3: One last checkpoint for the users before they start using the kubernetes is to check the version details. This can be done with a small command in the command prompt. Here it is –
Run command – kubectl version
With this, a user will get the details of the client and server version details.
This is the entire process to install Kubernetes before a user actually runs Kubernetes on his local windows system.
Features of Kubernetes
Below you can find some key features of Kubernetes –
- It can automate the process of a server hosting for you and also decides how part on your behalf.
- It can easily manage and interact with several groups of containers at the same time.
- It monitors on a regular basis for the health of nodes and containers
- Kubernetes can do storage orchestration and add the storage system of your choice to run the application.
- Container balancing is also one of the crucial behavior where it does the calculation regarding the best location for the container placement.
- Being an open source tool Kubernetes runs everywhere. This gives the benefit of on-premises, hybrid, and public cloud to its users.
- Ability to rollback if anything wrongs happen while executing the application. It has the capabilities to rollbacks and rollouts.
- It has the potential to scale horizontally and vertically with ease and quick
Conclusion – Install Kubernetes
As we have said earlier, Kubernetes is a container orchestration tool with an ability to manage containers and at the same time manage it efficiently. The purpose of this deployment is to ease the manual work which needs to be done in the absence of Kubernetes.
This has been a guide on how to Install Kubernetes. Here we have discussed the different steps to Install Kubernetes and also some of the key features of it. You may also look at the following article to learn more –