Excel Header and Footer (Table of Contents)
Header and Footer in Excel
Header and Footers are the part of page setting which are used to make any worksheet or workbook better for printing. We can add Page Number, Heading, Topic and Chapter name, Company name and Logo, Author’s name and version of publication, etc. To apply Headers and Footers in Excel, go to the Insert menu tab under the Text section we have option Headers and Footers. Once we type any text, it will be marked in all the pages. To insert the page numbers go to Footer and from the Design menu tab, select Page Number option. There we have different types of formats to apply for a single thing.
How to Add Header and Footer in Excel?
To add Header and Footer in Excel is very simple and easy. Let’s understand how to add Header and Footer in Excel with some examples.
First, fix the Top row and First column of the Excel sheet by marking the first column with 1-15 numbers and top row with A-G Alphabets. (You can use any indices as per your need), by doing this, we will fix the page length, in order to see the final page layout.
Now, for adding Header and Footer in the excel sheet, go to Text option from Insert in the Menu bar and select Header and Footer.
Once you click on Header and Footer option, it will be activated in the currently opened excel sheet.
As you can see, Numbers and Alphabets which we entered before, have framed the page border in order to make page layout. Put the cursor on Click to add header and enter header name as per need.
Now go down to enter or change Footer. (If page size is large, which is normally a default set, go down to change footer)
Put the cursor on Click to add Footer, and enter footer name as per need.
Now to see, how Header and Footer in excel will look like, go to print preview by pressing Ctrl+P or go to Print option in the File menu to see the preview.
Here we have Product Sale data of a month in this example.
Now, for adding Header and Footer in this excel sheet, go to the Insert Menu bar and select Header and Footer.
Once you click on Header and Footer, then Header and Footer option will be activated in the current opened excel sheet. Here, our data is arranged in a page set with all columns of a table on a single page.
Now click on the Header tab and it will be to be filled with text.
Now in the header, you can enter the name of the table, document revision number, and the type of data in a different format or font size, as per your requirement. Below, we can see the main Product Sale in the main header which is in bold and high in text size, Document revision number and Document type as Sample Data are kept in corner of the Header.
Now, here we will see another step of adding page numbers. For that go to any page or footer of the first page and click on the Page Number tab from Design option from the Header and Footer Tools menu. This will enable the cell, where you want to see Page Numbers in every sheet.
Once you click on the Page Number tab, the selected will be added with “&[Page]”, which is nothing but the starting page number “1”. This will be visible when you change cell or come out from edit mode from the same cell.
By escaping out of edit mode from that footer, page numbers will start forming in sequence and that will be created in all the subsequent pages as below.
Also in Footer, you can enter Copyright detail or number, the name of your company if format allows you to do so. Below, we have filled the footer with some data.
As you can see in the above screenshot, we have put the name of the company which is ABC Corporation in a light color to make watermark impression and also kept Copy Right Reserved © in small fonts. You can use your format as well.
To make Header and Footer in excel more attractive, we have a few more functions, which are there to make our Header and Footer in excel more attractive and professional. We have seen how Header, Footer and Page Number work. Now we will see a few more functions as shown in below screenshot.
- Number of Pages – It shows the total number of pages where complete data are available. (Formula = &[Pages])
- Current Date – It gives the current or today’s date. (Formula = &[Date])
- Current Time – It gives the current or publishing time. (Formula = &[Time])
- Sheet Name – It gives the name of the sheet which is entered in a sheet to be shown in Header or Footer. (Formula = &[Tab])
- File Name – Same as Sheet Name, It also gives the name of the file to be shown in Header or Footer (Formula = &[File])
- Go to Header/Go to Footer – These are used as a short cut path to go in Header and Footer directly, instead of using a scroll bar to do up and down.
The design menu bar has one Option, by using that we can change the page setting, Margins, Alignments and Scaling the document as per own defined standards.
After entering complete data and using all functions available in Excel, we’ll be having our Header and Footer page setup as below;
Pros of Header and Footer in Excel
If you want to present the data in printable form then Header and Footer in excel make layout attractive.
- Once you add Header and Footer in excel, it will save time in adding Heading, Page Number, Revisions, Copy Right one at a time and it will be carried on in all sheets.
- It saves time in changing the Header and Footer of each sheet by doing it manually.
Things to Remember About Header and Footer in Excel
- Once you add any Header and Footer name, that will be carry forwarded to all sheets, so if there are any changes need to be made in any sheet regards to Header and Footer, then for that, we need to go the Header and Footer of that sheet to make changes.
- If you have not framed the table with cell borders then, print preview will show the table without its border and data will look close to each other.
This has been a guide to header and footer in excel. Here we discuss how to add header and footer in excel and how to print preview along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –