Difference Between GitLab vs Jira
The following article provides an outline in GitLab vs Jira. The GitLab is considered as web-based tool that is used to manage the software development lifecycle and help the developer to store their code online. The GitLab is provided as open-source tool for the developers and also used by large scale organizations. The Jira is another software tool that is used for tracking bug, threats, issues and also for project management. The main use of the Jira tool is to track the bugs and issues that are present in mobile applications and software. The issues can be easily handled by using the Jira tool.
Head to Head Comparison Between GitLab vs Jira (Infographics)
Below are the top 8 differences between GitLab and Jira:
Key Difference Between GitLab vs Jira
Let us discuss some of the major key differences of GitLab and Jira:
- The major difference between GitLab and Jira is the use and functionality of both platform. The GitLab is defined as open-source tool used for version control of application, code review and many more. The GitLab platform is connected to the servers that are capable of handling 25000 thousand users per server. While on other side, the Jira platform is defined as testing tool for the software that are mostly used by agile team to track the bugs and threats in the software and mobile application. The other use of Jira platform is to reduce the complexity for software development and also helps in project management.
- The other difference between GitLab and Jira is pricing. The GitLab platform is open-source tool platform that means it is provided free of cost to the developers to used for version control of the application. The GitLab platform supports various features free of cost to the developers. While on other hand, The Jira platform is considered as expensive tool as the tool is capable of debugging the whole application for threats and issues. The Jira platform is widely use by the companies and organizations.
- The other difference between two is ease of platform use. The user interface of Jira platform is very complex and native users cannot easily use the platform for their application. The Jira platform require complete knowledge of tool before using it. The features are not properly displayed on the user interface of platform. While on other hand, the GitLab user interface is good and all the features are properly displayed on the GitLab. Although the user interface is slow of the GitLab as compared to Jira platform.
- The another difference between two is reliability and customer support offered by the platform. The Jira platform provide complete customer support and is reliable platform as the tool is expensive the service offered by the tool are quite good. While on other hand, the reliability of GitLab platform is not up to the mark and the customer support is not proper for GitLab platform.
- The other difference between two is support of group issue board. In the GitLab platform the issues can be seen in group level, so that the bugs and threats related with all projects of that particular group can be solved. On other hand, no such functionality is provided for Jira platform.
- The other difference between Jira and GitLab platform is support of portfolio management. In GitLab platform the work can be properly planned and track at portfolio level. The resources can be properly managed in GitLab platform. On other hand, no such support is there for Jira platform.
- The other difference between two is customization of the existing features. As the Jira platform is paid tool the features offered by the tool can be customized as per the user requirement. On other hand, there is no such functionality provided for the GitLab platform. The user needs to use the features that are offered by the GitLab platform.
GitLab vs Jira Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between GitLab vs Jira:
|Definition||The Gitlab is defined as source code repository that is used in software development version and used by the developers to manage the project lifecycle.||The Jira is defined as the tool that is used to track the bugs and issues present in the mobile application and software. The Jira tool is also used for the project management.|
|License||The GitLab platform get the license from GitHub that is controlled by Microsoft.||The Jira platform has the propriety license and is absolutely free for non-profit entities.|
|Integration||The GitLab is capable of integrating with version control system. The application can be migrated to some other source repository system very easily.||The Jira platform supports various plugins that help to integrate with other third-party applications.|
|Developed||For developing the GitLab platform the programming language was Ruby.||For developing the Jira platform, the programming language used was JAVA.|
|Generality||The GitLab platform can be used by GUI (Graphical user interface) and CLI (Command line interface). The user can use these two platforms to use the features of GitLab platform.||In Jira platform there are numerous types of dashboards that are used to use the platform. The dashboards include Scrum and Kanban.|
|Ease of Use||The GitLab platform can be used for any type of project and support various kind of project. The platform is open-source for any type of project.||The Jira platform is basically used for the platform that uses the agile methodologies in it. The platform helps to find the bugs and threats present in the project.|
|Flexibility||The GitLab platform supports only latest codes and also enough flexible to integrate the built in server in the platform.||The Jira supports multiple categories of project and also help to migrate project from one platform to another platform.|
|In-Built Facilities||The CLI and GUI platform are used to use the GitLab platform and helps to version control of software and application.||The Jira platform is purely a web-based application and detect the bugs and threats in software and mobile applications.|
The Jira platform is issue tracker tool and used for the application that used agile methodologies in their project. Jira service desk is capable of solving issues of the customers and provide excellence support to them. The GitLab is open-source version control system that helps the developers to manage the software version and code review.
This is a guide to GitLab vs Jira. Here we discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –