Updated February 13, 2023
Introduction to Peacock
The Essay on Peacock will take you through India, which is well-known for its cultural beauty and diversity. India is also renowned for its National Bird Peacock. The bird is famous for its stunning beauty and cultural importance. The Peacock is India’s national bird, declared on 26 January 1963. It is majorly in all parts of India, and it is stunning to see, as well as its glimpse seen in Indian traditions and culture. Everyone is mesmerized by its beauty. The Indian Peacock is widely considered to be the most visually striking species within the genus and is indigenous to the Indian subcontinent.
The Peacock is male, while the peahen is female. The Peacock prefers to live mainly in dry areas, so it is abundant in states like Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, and Haryana. Peacocks can adapt to the weather and environment and quickly live in snowy and mountainous areas.
(Image Credit: Pixabay)
The Peacock has great importance in Hinduism. The Peacock is the vehicle of Karthik, Lord Shiva’s son, and Lord Krishna also carries the Peacock’s feather on his head. During the monsoon, Peacock is pleased and unfurls his wings and dances at a slow pace, which is also stunning to watch as this gesture of Peacock attracts the female Peacock. Its beauty is mentioned through poems by poets on the Peacock, reflecting India’s old culture. As this dance is exquisite, it has inspired a type of dance known as the Peacock Dance. The Peacock is also known as Neelkanth because of the bluish tinge of its neck, and their eyes are tiny and black. The Peacock has almost 200 feathers in the form of a moon. It is intelligent, careful, and quiet, as well as gorgeous.
Types of Peacocks
1. The Indian Peacock (Majorly found in India and Sri Lanka)
Primarily found in India, Sri Lanka, and other East Asian countries, it is a known fact that peacocks are the most popular and beautiful species. It is metallic green in color. It has a long blue, brown, green, and gold colored plume, which is a treat to the eyes. The blue crest further enhances the beauty of its head. On the other side, Indian peahens are brown. It has green or blue chairs and a short tail.
2. Green Peacock (Found in Indonesia)
The Javanese Peacock, also known as Green Peacock, hails from Indonesia. It resembles the Indian Peacock in appearance and beauty. It has a long bright-colored plume that looks attractive. The head of this Peacock enhances with a green-colored crest. The body of the green peahen is a beautiful shade of green. It does, however, have a short tail.
3. Congo Peacock (Found in Africa)
The Congo peacock, native to Africa, stands out from the other two species in appearance. Its upper body is in blue feathers. In contrast to the Indian and Green peacocks, it has shorter plumage. In comparison to the other three species, its crest is similarly shorter. Feathers on Congo peahens are green and brown.
Interesting Facts About Peacock
- The Mughal emperor Shah Jahan was impressed by the Peacock’s beauty and ordered throne-like peacock feathers. The throne was full of precious jewels imported from foreign countries. It took six years for the throne to carve out, which was named Takht-e-Taus.
- During the sovereignty of King Ashoka, he made the killing of Peacock an offense.
- Aurangzeb ensured the safety of the peacocks by banning the shooting of this beautiful bird. During the Gupta period, the Peacock was acknowledged as a symbol of royalty.
- The Peacock is known as a good friend of farmers. It helps keep the farmer’s lands free of insects damaging crops.
- Myanmar’s national symbol is the gray Peacock.
- Their feathers are said to protect humans from dangers and calamities. The strange ‘eyes’ of the wings symbolize a similar concept.
Conclusion – Essay on Peacock
An essay on Peacocks will always tell you that Peacock is India’s national bird, which is well-known for its beauty and historical importance. It is a delightful sight to witness the dance of the Peacock during the rain. The breathtaking beauty of the Peacock makes him a devoted representative of India’s fauna, which is why he is known as the king of all the birds. Peacock is one of the most pretty creations of God. The almighty took out time to craft this rare beauty. Peacock is one of the most attractive birds on earth. It is mainly known for its colorful feathers that are a sight to behold. The bird is protected under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act 1972.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Essay on Peacock” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,