Updated June 8, 2023
All About Study Tips
Study tips refer to various methods, strategies, and techniques that individuals can use to improve their learning and studying process.
There are students who spend dedicated few hours every day and score better grades than their counterparts. The difference lies in the technique used for studying. It is never too early or too late to develop effective study habits. Your chances of getting good marks will also improve. Students generally grapple with many issues in their lives. There is a lot of disturbance that comes the way. It becomes very difficult to concentrate.
To progress in each class, you must follow some effective study tips.
Tips and Tricks for Effective Study
1. Approach Matters (Effective Study Tips)
Most of the students look at studying as a mandatory task and not as enjoyment or an opportunity to learn something. How you approach something matters almost as much as what you do. It is very important that you should be in the right mindset to study smarter.
There are situations when you can’t force yourself to be in the right mindset, and in such scenarios, you should simply avoid studying. These situations can be relationship issues, favorite shows on TV, important functions organized in society, or an upcoming game. If you study in such a scenario, it will just be an exercise in frustration. You can come back to study after this disturbance, and you will be focused.
There are a few study tips to help improve your mindset.
- Aim to think positively.
- Avoid catastrophic thinking. E.g., Instead of thinking that “I’m terrible at studies and I cannot even score passing grades in exams,” think that “I can score better grades in exams if I study daily and earlier grades don’t matter since I’m going to study better from now on.”
- Avoid comparing yourself with others. It is more likely that students who score poor grades compare with those who score better.
2. Right Place and Time (Effective Study Tips)
The place as well as the time you select to study matters most. Everyone has their idea regarding the best place and time to study. You should find a study space and a regular study time that will work better for you. For a few students, it’s a bedroom at night or the library after lectures, which differs for every student.
- The right place: Your study space should be quiet and comfortable. It should always be free from distractions such as TV, Social Gatherings, Computers, etc. You can decorate the surrounding walls with your favorite pictures or inspiring quotes. Ideal places for study are a study room (in case you have better staying), library, and bedroom during the daytime. Such a place makes you feel inspired to study.
- The right time: Some students feel comfortable studying in the morning, while others prefer the night. Work out which time suits you, and then plan accordingly. The ideal time for study is early morning when no one is in the room. You should not study much later than your usual bedtime, which will make you tired to study.
3. Equip All Study Materials (Effective Study Tips)
Always equip the study area with all materials needed while studying or completing the assignment. Materials such as pens, pencils, all relevant notes, a dictionary, paper clips, calculators and other gadgets (for engineers), water, refreshments, etc., should be kept handy.
This helps to study without any interruption. Turn your mobile phone into silent mode or switch it off during study time. Attend calls only if it is very important; otherwise, ignore them and reply to them later. Keeping essential materials handy allows better concentration without any interruption.
4. Use Memory Games (Effective Study Tips)
Memory games are techniques for remembering pieces of information with the help of simple associations between words commonly used. You can use this technique to remember difficult concepts. Sometimes you remember a sentence because it rhymes or sounds funny.
E.g., If you are preparing for the civil service exam and you want to remember the list of Prime Ministers of India, then you can use the below technique :
This list includes prominent names such as Jawaharlal Nehru, Gulzarilal Nanda, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Indira Gandhi, Moraji Desai, Rajiv Gandhi, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Manmohan Singh, Narendra Modi. You can remember this list as JG-LIM-RAMN, which includes the initial letter of each person.
You can use any memory technique that sounds comfortable to you. This technique will be helpful in case you want to remember difficult names such as the scientific names of plants, a list of medicine, etc. These don’t work for everyone, and if it doesn’t work for you, then don’t use them.
5. Prepare a Schedule (Effective Study Tips)
While preparing a schedule, keep several factors in mind, such as the schedule should be achievable, more time for the difficult subject, and less time for easy subjects. Keep aside certain hours each day for study as you do for sleep and nourishment.
The amount of time required for study differs from student to student. Some students can study continuously for three to four hours without any break, whereas others find it difficult to study even for an hour! It completely depends on an individual’s skills and ability to grasp concepts.
An average of two hours of study every day is recommended. Spending an hour or two every day is better than studying one 12-hour marathon a day before an exam since this avoids last-minute cramming.
Going to coaching classes is a different thing than self-study.
6. Take Intermediate Breaks (Effective Study Tips)
Taking regular intermediate breaks while studying is important to avoid feeling tired or frustrated. According to research, if you take a break every two hours of continuous working, your performance at study will be tremendously better.
If you are working too long on a task, it can gradually decrease your performance. Typical activities recommended in the break are indulging in conversation with people and doing physical activities such as walking, running, or listening to music. Watching television, sleeping, or having heavy meals should be avoided.
This intermittent break can often help you scrutinize a problem differently and solve it better!
7. Teach What Is Learned (Effective Study Tips)
If you have studied something, you can test it by explaining it to someone else. Using this technique, you will come to know how better you understand the concept. It will also help you revise concepts, and the person you are explaining will be able to learn it.
I’m reminded of the below quote when it comes to learning:
“Tell me, and I forget.
Teach me, and I remember.
Involve me, and I learn.”
8. Study Every Day (Effective Study Tips)
Effective study tips help you understand and remember things for the long term. Studying every day can help you avoid the stress of last-minute pressure. If you study a little bit every day, you will continuously review concepts in your mind.
Plan a schedule and devote an hour or two daily to stay on top. Increase the time limit if the exams are near.
Prioritizing activities can easily help chalk out time for study. This means cutting time spent online or sacrificing the weekend plan, etc.
9. Review and Revise (Effective Study Tips)
It is human nature that we forget things over a period of time. Hence, you should review and revise things you have studied in class once a week to understand the concepts.
- Quiz: You can ask friends or family members to quiz you on concepts you have studied. This is a great way to enhance confidence limits. It can also help you know what you still need to learn in an effective study plan. In turn, you can offer your friends their work too.
- Prepare notes: You can think of some practice exam questions or can create flashcards. The advantage of this technique is that you learn it all twice. Once when you prepare study materials and then revise them. This helps in remembering concepts for the long term.
10. Always Stay Motivated (Effective Study Tips)
Every person has a different source of motivation. E.g. some looking at idols is inspiring; reading quotes or watching inspirational talks is boosting factor. Students generally find it difficult to stick to their goals.
When studying, remember the reasons for doing all the hard work you are working towards. You can decorate your study place with favorite pictures, inspirational quotes, or photos of people you admire most. This creates a better aura for studying.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest.
‘Til your good is better, and your better is best.
11. Practice Old Exams (Effective Study Tips)
You should always practice on old exam question papers. This is one of the most effective ways to prepare for exams.
It helps you get accustomed to the format of the questions that come in exams, helping you score better grades.
This gives you an understanding of the time spent on each section.
12. Snack on Brain Food (Effective Study Tips)
Always keep your body and brain well-fuelled by choosing nutritious foods. Foods such as fish, milk, nuts, seeds, yogurts, green leafy vegetables, blueberries, etc., are rich in nutrition. You should inculcate effective study tips and avoid junk foods that can have an impact on energy levels as well as the mind.
Scientists have proved that eating nutritious food can improve concentration and memory. During exam days, you should eat a healthy meal that will provide energy throughout the day. Students generally avoid meals during exam time which results in weakness and dizziness and thus impacts their exams.
It is rightly said that a “Sound mind dwells in a sound body.” This means you can have a better mindset if your health is good.
13. Drink Plenty of Water (Effective Study Tips)
You should drink plenty of water so that you remain well hydrated. This is essential for your brain to work at its best.
Drinking water and brain function are interlinked. Lack of water in the brain can cause problems such as poor focus, brain fatigue, brain fog, poor memory, headaches, depression, insomnia, etc.
According to scientists, around 70% of your body is composed of water, and every function depends on water, including critical activities such as the brain and nervous systems.
To keep the body properly hydrated, drink at least four to six liters of water every day. Ensure you keep drinking plenty of water throughout your revision session and during exam time.
These tips can help individuals to absorb information effectively, memorize it for a longer time, and recall it when needed. Overall, study tips are used to enhance the learning process and help individuals achieve their academic goals.
So here are some articles that will help you get more detail about effective study tips and the effective study plan.
- Mechatronics Projects
- Project Risk Management Plan
- Project Planning and Scheduling
- Project Documentation Plan