Updated June 14, 2023
Introduction to Digital Computer
A digital computer is a system that can feed some set of inputs, which further uses some processing operations and gives the required output in some presentable format. The processing operations in digital computer are so fast that it happens in a fraction of a second, which helps save a lot of time. Moreover, these digital computers only understand the processing information fed as input and manipulation as part of processing in binary 0 and 1. It makes communication streamline between humans and computers by simplifying the entire task.
Various Digital Computer Uses with Example
A digital computer, as mentioned, is a system or machine which has a lot of usage in every field, whether it is science, research, technology anything; it has evolved a lot from its initial days till now like anything. Whether personal computers, smartphones, or tablets, almost every field has some or the other to make the system robust and highly available in every worst situation.
1. Digital computer uses and evolution in the field of scientific research
- Digital computers can deal with any odds regarding scientific calculation and manipulation.
- It has the processing power to calculate quite fast, as in the blink of a second. Thus, it reduces time consumption, making the research and science go hand in hand by making the entire process streamlined using the digital computer.
- Anything can be performed using a digital computer, from requirement gathering to data storage, analysis, and computation.
- All the scientific graphs and algorithms, with their definite computing capability and display, are possible using any digital computer to form, making the entire process relatively easy and streamlined.
- Personal computers, laptops, and desktops can serve scientific research needs.
2. Digital computer usage with industries and technical applications
- Software and other industries use digital computers enormously, which has helped bridge the gap between non-tech-savvy and tech-savvy enthusiasts.
- Digital computer, when it comes to designing any schema or architecture related to any program, provides many tools and options to explore and use it as part of the project implementation.
- Regarding software industries, they have religiously adopted and considered digital computers for basic tasks.
- In some way, the entire software and hardware industry depends on the digital computer that makes the working compatible in any form, whether the starting or the end product.
- An overall digital computer comprises hardware components that make it possible for the technical applications to get run over the system. Then all the computational activities are performed on top of it.
- Even the planning, till architecting, needs a combination of hardware and software to achieve the desired result for any activity.
3. Digital computer usage with control systems
- Control systems have come in many ways regarding computational capacities by incorporating and blending digital computers.
- A digital computer can perform many operations and build software with that help; the control systems can be fabricated with its utmost requirement and features.
- The design of the control systems will again include tools that the digital computer will support in one way or another.
- This makes the entire control system more efficient and robust in computation and manipulation.
- All the latest infrastructure related to home automation, home designs, and drawings is built using software and tools mentioned earlier, which again constitutes part of the digital computer.
- An example includes the entire smart home concept involving automatic switches on or off, automatic car drives, robotics, and many more involving control systems.
- Compared to analog systems, digital computers can only support any control system to drive its entire plan until the completion of the entire requirement or project, making it robust and versatile.
4. Digital computer and their usage with embedded systems and IOT
- IOT (Internet of Things) with a blend of embedded systems are the latest trend, and they both can do wonders when it comes to satisfying a particular computation need.
- The digital computer has not only revolutionized the history of the present era of computation but has also revolutionized the entire era of analog to digital computation.
- All these processing themes include four major steps: input reading, saving the data into the memory, processing the data further, and making digital computer aid to it.
- Examples include digital washing machines, scientific calculators, digital clocks, etc.
5. Digital computer and their usage in the financial domain
- Money plays a pivotal role in every sphere of life, so the digital computer has evolved its root in financial technology and the domain.
- Earlier transfer and money-related deals only included physical presence where digitization didn’t appear.
- Later, when digital computers came into existence, which made the entire financial technology float and worked over systems and networks, which somehow became dependent on a digital computer.
- Example of digital computer in the financial domain include ATMs which have made the transaction process digital. It takes a particular set of inputs and then processes that input with the algorithms or the operations within it, thus providing the output as money required.
The digital computer has indeed acquired and made all the spheres of human life depend on it. Everything and every component around us somehow depend on digitization and computation, which is only digital computers’ power. So the digital computer has evolved and made its existence never-ending till everything around gets extinct.
This is a guide to Digital Computer Uses. Here we discuss the introduction and various digital computer uses with example, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –