Introduction to DevOps Testing
DevOps is a savior for both dev and ops team to work in unison while creating less impact on both the teams individually. The development team can spend more time on writing quality code and the testing team can perform testing simultaneously without putting much manual effort as automation is a part of DevOps which is the actual characteristics of DevOps and especially testing. But if we look a bit back then we can see the waterfall model with certain major pit holes, needed to be taken care of. Then comes into picture the importance of DevOps Testing.
How DevOps Testing is Performed?
If we walk through a normal DevOps lifecycle then it starts in the following process:
- The developer will write code and commit it in a designated repository.
- Further, building and deploying the binaries in a QA Environment.
- Executing the test cases.
- Finally, Deploying the entire integrated thing into production with one smooth integrated flow.
The use of Automation tools with continuous integration has become a mandate norm in the entire DevOps cycle.
What is the Significance of DevOps Testing?
Although there is a very small difference between agile and DevOps Testing. People already working with agile will be familiar with agile and will eventually adapt to the work with agile and DevOps. DevOps is an extension to the Agile method, and It helps in bridging the gap between agile and DevOps by introducing and incorporating the feature of continuous Development, Continuous Integration, and continuous deployment. The code is written and committed to the destination repository by the developer in a feature branch one of the features of the waterfall model. But now the scenario changed after DevOps has come into the picture, but how matters.
The code will now get committed to a versioned control repository instead of the creation of a separate branch or feature branch for all. It will pick up the code, will form a jar i.e. a build, will get deployed, tested and installation will happen automatically. All this manual task of making things tedious and cumbersome has been overcome and removed after adopting and following DevOps. Production environment and giving release every day has become more profound and easy for the end-user. This process not only helps to only one person or any team like development or testing but the entire cycle or chain gets an advantage as the environment and processes associated are standardized.
Every phase in the entire cycle is automated from development to deployment. This is the main advantage or motto which helps other folks to concentrate on delivering a quality code or other relevant scenarios important for project release or development. It is quite saving as it brings down the time frame of entire project development to deployment drastically down to several long burning hours to fruitful hours without disturbing all the key contributors and ultimately helps in end-user consumption of the project flow. Automation has really played a pivotal role in making the DevOps feature of testing an advancement and enhancement. Earlier a build given by the developer to the tester from the feature branch used to sit down ideal for two to three days until and unless a QA will approve and sign off the build to the next phase of deployment for production.
4.5 (2,207 ratings)
Strategies of DevOps Testing
- QA will align itself with the automation and required phase of the entire DevOps lifecycle.
- Then comes into picture the code coverage which is targeted for 100% but then that’s just the mere myth one fix % coverage is mandatory.
- Maintaining the environment standard and then making the deployment by QA is also made Automated fully.
- Continuous integration cycle with continuous deployment is a very important factor which is needed to be maintained throughout.
- Parallel running of test cases will help in achieving tests with reduced defects and bugs with less time consumption for successful DevOps implementation.
Advantages of Using Testing in DevOps
- Customer Satisfaction and Improved Customer Experience: Customer satisfaction and revenue generation is the main goal of DevOps incorporation with a standardized environment of continuous development to continuous deployment thing.
- Giving Fuel to Business and IT: Automation with Testing has made the overall IT to break down the silos and make the Development and Operations to work in coordination. It has added a spark to the entire IT and development field of product generation and delivery.
- A True Digital Transformation: Breaking all those old ways of product development to product deployment following the continuous integration and continuous deployment has come a very long way by providing the end customers a quality product which they are in seek off.
- Business Boom: No doubt it is quite a revenue-generating as it is adopting DevOps which again brings into picture the advantages and standardized ways of incorporation of multiple ways of simultaneous builds and deployments for quality and defect-free product deliverance.
- Agility and Velocity: Taking into consideration the speed and velocity then the old or conventional method of waterfall or agile method was a total waste. But now time consumption and flow of the entire lifecycle has taken over that with improvised methods or ways.
Techniques of DevOps Testing
There are certain essential steps needed to be followed for the testing techniques which involve:
- Identification of test cases required to be executed for any build.
- There should be a very minimal gap between the Dev and QA Team.
- Environments for both testing and development teams should be standardized.
- Various automation testing techniques and QA should have cross platforms ready with the environment parallelly running with DevOps Environment.
- All defects critical, major, trivial all should pass through all phases of DevOps lifecycle.
It can be easily concluded with the fact that DevOps is the future. V model got replaced with the Waterfall model, further Waterfall model got replaced with an agile model and then now DevOps extension to Agile. It is very much a fascinating feature that to survive with DevOps and automation get ready to fight and learn by adopting the DevOps testing which is the crux and core of the entire DevOps lifecycle.
This is a guide to DevOps Testing. Here we discuss the Introduction to DevOps Testing its Significance and how DevOps Testing can be performed. You can also go through our related articles to learn more –