Introduction to Datadog and Splunk
Datadog is a type of monitoring tool which is mostly used for the cloud-based application and to monitor the database, services, servers, and other tools and also measure the performance of the applications. Datadog tool uses the Software as the service (SaaS) platform for implementation in the application. Splunk is a type of tool which is used for log management of devices and analyses the data generated from devices. The Splunk tool analyzes the data generated from the machine and then convert the unstructured raw data into some human-readable form.
Head to Head Comparison between Datadog and Splunk (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 comparisons between Datadog vs Splunk:
Key differences between Datadog and Splunk
Let us discuss some key differences in the following points:
- The major key difference between Splunk and Datadog tool is that the Splunk tool is a log management tool which is used when there is a requirement of managing the data generated from the devices. And Datadog tool is an analytic or monitoring tool that can be used by the DevOps and IT department for monitoring the performance of cloud services and other infrastructure.
- The other difference is that the Datadog tool can be used for integrating with other several products so that performance can be measured in a better way for cloud services. In Splunk tool, there is no such functionality of integrating with other tools and the tool is a standalone application.
- One of the most important key differences between Datadog and Splunk tool is the installation and commissioning steps for the tool. The implementation and installation of the Datadog tool is easy and comes with different features whereas, on the other hand, the Splunk tool requires additional technical support for the installation of the tool on the system.
- The other key difference between Datadog vs Splunk is the use of programming languages. Datadog tool supports various programming languages that are PHP, Go, .NET, Ruby, JAVA, Node, and python. In the Splunk tool, there is no such standards for using any particular programming language. The Splunk tool has a separate administrator which does not require any programming language for use of the tool.
- The other main difference is sending alerts upon receiving any issue. The Datadog tool is capable of sending the alarms and alerts whenever any issue is raised in the system so that appropriate action can be taken immediately against the issue. In the Splunk tool, there is no such additional functionality the alerts need to be taken care by the system administrator only.
- The other category of differentiation between the Datadog vs Splunk tool is the uses of the tool. The Datadog tool is used for monitoring the performance of servers, tools, and different databases whereas on other hand the Splunk tool is used for monitoring the data and analyze the data which is generated from various types of machines. The Splunk tool converts the data in a human-readable form so that it can be analyzed properly by the developers.
- The Datadog tool dashboards can make customized as per the requirements and the IT team and DevOps team can use the tool for monitoring the performance of cloud services. In Splunk tool, the dashboard can be customized it needs to be used the same way it is offered.
- The other major difference is the functionality of both the tools Datadog and Splunk. The Splunk tool is used for analyzing the log files generated from the systems. The tool uses the search processing language for finding any terms present in a log file. In the Datadog tool, it supports the multiple cloud visibility in the network which helps to monitor the data and performance of cloud services.
Comparison Table of Datadog vs Splunk
The table below summarizes the comparisons between Datadog vs Splunk:
|The Datadog tool does not support multiple types of data formats.||The Splunk tool provides support to multiple types of data formats like.xml, .csv and .json file.|
|The Datadog tool is a type of monitoring tool which is used for monitoring the performance of cloud services. The tool can analyze the performance of servers, database.||The Splunk tool is a type of log management tool which is used for analyzing the data which generates from the machine. The log files can be analyzed by the Splunk tool.|
|The dashboard used in the Datadog tool can be easily customizable as per the requirements.||There is no such option in the Splunk tool. The dashboard can not be customized or changed.|
|The configuration and installation of the Datadog tool are comparatively easy from the Splunk tool. As the tool uses the SaaS service the installation of software is easy.||The configuration and installation of Splunk tools are not easy when it is compared to the Datadog tool.|
|The Datadog tool generates alert when there is something wrong in the tool and helps to identify the issue in the system.||There is no such option of generating alerts by the tool for the system.|
|There is no such option present in the Datadog tool for analyzing the data in real-time.||The data can be visualized in real-time by the Splunk tool which helps to properly analyze the data.|
|The implementation of the tool is cheap when it is compared to other tools like Splunk tool. The features of the tool are cheap and easy to install in the system.||The implementation of the tool is expensive when it is compared to other tools like the Datadog tool. The Splunk tool features are a bit expensive for installation in the system.|
|The Datadog tool does not support the front- end application it only supports the back-end applications.||The Splunk tool supports the front-end application. The GUI is supported by the tool for the system.|
|The Datadog tool always has the stability issue as the tool is not stable with all the features.||There is no such problem in the Splunk tool as the tool is stable compared to other tools like Datadog.|
The Datadog tool is a type of performance measurement tool for the cloud service which helps to measure the performance of databases, servers. The Splunk tool is a type of log management tool which helps to analyze the log files generated from the machine and convert raw data to some human-readable form.
This is a guide to Datadog vs Splunk. Here we discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –