Introduction to Couchbase vs CouchDB
Head to Head Comparison between Couchbase vs CouchDB (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between Couchbase vs CouchDB:
Key Differences between Couchbase vs CouchDB
- Though both are open source and open documented, key-value store is only on Couchbase. Key-value store has a capacity to store, retrieve, and manage the arrays and also to take care of the data store like a dictionary. This helps Couchbase to use an associative array as a non-relational database to store data. This helps in storing multimedia and also large data.
- Couchbase has a strong consistency while CouchDB has consistency depending on the data stored in the database. All the data stored in Couchbase can be retrieved with the same consistency but in CouchDB, it depends on the size of the data and the time it was stored and the location it is stored. Though it does not offer same consistency throughout, eventually the data has consistency.
- The topology of Couchbase is distributed while that of CouchDB is appended. The distributed topology helps to distribute the components in all the sites when appended topology combines different components into one component to help in working. In distributed topology, the group of nodes are formed from scratch and is built on top of another.
- Couchbase handles its failovers gracefully by handling it automatically. When the failover happens, Couchbase transfers the data to any nearby system to manage it and hence the data is not lost. CouchDB does not have this option and if any failure happens, the data is lost and should be retrieved using other methods. Automatic failovers help to manage data systematically.
- Couchbase has integrated cache and the data is stored in the system itself. Only if the system is restored, the data is lost from the system. Otherwise, the data is safe. CouchDB does not have this integrated cache and data has to be retrieved always. Also, Couchbase is compatible for Memcached data. CouchDB is not compatible and manages the data within the system.
- Couchbase has both optimistic and pessimistic locking while CouchDB has only optimistic locking. Optimistic locking enables the user to check the database before updating data while pessimistic locking updates data first and ensures that no one updates it again. CouchDB enables the locking with MVCC. This enables the data to be isolated while updating is being carried out. Also, the data can be updated by any user and it cannot be locked out.
- Couchbase uses a query language in the database whereas CouchDB does not have any query language. The query language is SQL and is used for JSON scripts. This helps to update and manage data with the help of SQL while CouchDB has to check for the available languages in the system.
Couchbase vs CouchDB Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Couchbase vs CouchDB:
|Binary data can be stored easily in this and it is stored with proper protocol and queries in the system.||Binary data cannot be stored and REST APIs are used to store the JSON documents in the system.|
|N1QL, view, and key-value is used as queries to store data in the system and this helps to manage the data in the database. Simple operations are done using key-value and complex queries using N1QL queries. NIQL is a query language used for JSON.||View query is used to retrieve data from the system and this helps to manage the contents of the documents. A view is created and this view is queried for retrieving data.|
|This operates as a group of nodes and the documents are copied to read from it. Model replicas are made to store data in the system.||All the nodes work individually and the system stores data in the individual node to retrieve the data.|
|Cache is managed in the system and the load is checked in the system and only if it is not available, data is loaded from the server. This makes the work easy for the database.||Data is not loaded from the cache as it does not manage cache from the system.|
|The database clustering and distribution is written in Erlang and the data handling is written in C and C++.||The database is written in Erlang and only one language is used in the database. Community support is available and the developers support the system for its working.|
|Notifications are provided in the system and the protocol is changed with the help of database. This helps to check the data and update it.||Notifications provided are with the help of data and it changes the feeds when data is updated in the system. Thus, data is kept updated.|
|Couchbase is open source but it depends on the versions released. User can easily download the community version while enterprise and developer editions are not freely downloadable.||CouchDB is fully open source and the user can easily download the versions depending on their usage.|
|There are APIs available but HTTP APIs are not available in the system and this is difficult for beginners.||HTTP APIs are available and this makes the system easy to use. The APIs are written easily with the help of few commands and it works well.|
|Data can be spread over different nodes and hence multi-master facility is available in the system.||Data is stored only on same nodes and are not spread evenly. Multi-master facility is not available in the system.|
Couchbase is the combination of CouchDB and membase and hence the performance is better when compared to others. Also, Couchbase is faster when compared with others. We can use CouchDB for smaller applications and this helps to maintain the system well.
This is a guide to the top difference between Couchbase vs CouchDB. Here we discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –