Difference Between CouchDB vs MongoDB
Head to Head Comparison Between CouchDB vs MongoDB (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between CouchDB and MongoDB:
Key Differences Between CouchDB vs MongoDB
Below are major key differences between couchDB snd MongoDB:
- The main key difference between CouchDB and MongoDB is the availability and consistency of the database. The MongoDB database supports the consistency factor while on other hand CouchDB supports the availability factor. The MongoDB uses the replication model in which there are multiple nodes and stored the data in all the replicated nodes. From all the nodes one node act as a primary node and all the other nodes are considered as secondary nodes. By this model, the consistency is maintained in the MongoDB database. The CouchDB database supports the consistency factor in which the data is stored in one of the nodes and all the nodes are in sync with each other so that data is also available in the database.
- The next difference between the two types of the database is storage schema. The CouchDB uses the document schema in which the data is stored in JSON format. The CouchDB offers Restful APIs for inserting the data, edit the data, read the data, and delete the data documents. In the document, there are fields that can be booleans, numbers, lists, and many more. In MongoDB, there is no such schema, and data can be freely stored in BSON format. The structure is not defined for the MongoDB database and the size of the database can be varied as per the document size.
- The other difference between the CouchDB and MongoDB is the use of indexes in the database. MongoDB uses the indexes to read the data as without using the indexes the read time can increase that can affect the database performance. The CouchDB uses the indexes that are similar to SQL indexes. The indexes can be used to retrieve the documents, filter the documents in some particular order.
- The other important difference between the MongoDB database and the CouchDB database is support for handling errors and bugs. The bugs and error support are essential for database schema as the data operations are carried continuously and need support for handling errors. The MongoDB database is comparatively better to support errors and bugs compared to the CouchDB database. The developers and programmers prefer MongoDB over CouchDB for data storage operations.
- The other factor that can be considered for differentiating the CouchDB and MongoDB database is security standards. Both the database follows the high standard of security but the CouchDB has some additional security features which make the CouchDB database more secure compare to the MongoDB database.
- The use of containers is there in the MongoDB database that acts as an additional layer whereas in CouchDB there is no such functionality present in the database. The extra layer of containers helps to manage the task more properly and execute the operations properly in the MongoDB database.
CouchDB vs MongoDB Comparison Table
Here is a comparison table showing similarities between CouchDB and MongoDB:
|Storage Schema||The data is stored in JSON format. The CouchDB database uses the document-oriented type model.||The data is stored in BSON format and follows the document-oriented type model.|
|Programming Language||The CouchDB uses the Erlang programming language for development.||MongoDB uses the C++ programming language for development.
|Support for the SQL||No support for the SQL in the CouchDB database.||MongoDB supports the SQL queries (read-only) that use MongoDB connector.|
|Use of Interface||The interface used by the CouchDB database is the HTTP/REST interface. The interface used is properly defined for the user so that it can be easily used.||The MongoDB uses different protocols in place of the interface. The protocols used are custom protocol and binary protocol that lay over the TCP/IP model.|
|Storage of Object||The CouchDB uses the documents to store the data in the database.||MongoDB uses the collections to store data in a database. And in collections, the documents are there for data storage.|
|Replication Model||The replication model supported by the CouchDB database model is the master-master model.||The replication model supported by the MongoDB database model is a master-slave model.|
|Method of Query||The map/reduce type query method used in the CouchDB database model.||The object-oriented query language is used and also map/reduce the query method issued in MongoDB database model.|
|Performance||The CouchDB performance is much better than MongoDB database schema.||The MongoDB database faces the performance issue and lacks behind when it is compared to the CouchDB database.|
|Failover Mechanism||The failover procedure is slow in the CouchDB database. When one master goes down it takes time to switch over to the next master for data storage operations.||In the MongoDB database, the failover mechanism is fast compared to the CouchDB database.|
The MongoDB database and the CouchDB database are a powerful database that issued to store huge chunks of data and perform the data storage operations in no time. Both databases support both types of data i.e. structured data and unstructured data. And both the database are widely used in various organizations all over the globe.
This is a guide to CouchDB vs MongoDB. Here we discuss the difference between CouchDB vs MongoDB and their key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –