Introduction To AWS Interview Questions And Answers
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a comprehensive, on-demand cloud computing platform provided by Amazon to individuals, companies and government organizations on a paid subscription basis.
The technology provides a virtual cluster of a computer that is available all the time via the web. It provides a mix of infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and packaged software as a service (SaaS) offerings and Recovery as a Service (RaaS).
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is a type of computing that relies on computing resources that are shared rather than having local servers or personal devices inside an organization’s firewall to handle applications.
The cloud refers to software and services that run on the Internet, instead of locally on your computer as explained above. One of the many advantages is that, because the remote servers handle much of the computing and storage, so one should not incur expensive, high-end machine to get your work done and maintenance is also not a liability.
Types of Clouds
Three types of clouds are available i.e. Public, Private, and Hybrid cloud.
- Public Cloud: A cloud where the third-party service providers make resources and services available to their customers via the internet. Related data and security are with the service providers’ owned infrastructure.
- Private Cloud: This is almost similar features as public cloud, but the data and services are managed by the organization or by the third party only for the customer’s organization. In this type of cloud, major control is over the infrastructure so security-related issues are minimized which makes it different from a public cloud.
- Hybrid Cloud: As the name suggests Hybrid, it is the combination of both private and public cloud. The decision to choose a type of cloud i.e. private or public usually depends on various parameters like the sensitivity of data and applications, industry certifications and required standards, regulations, and many more.
Understanding different types of Cloud Computing
- IaaS stands for Infrastructure as a Service. It is the lowest level of cloud solution and refers to cloud-based computing infrastructure as a fully outsourced service. It provides provision processing, storage, and network connectivity on demand. With the implementation of this service model, the customers can develop their own applications on these resources.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) an advanced form of IaaS. In this type, a service provider provides various services like databases, queues, workflow engines, e-mails, etc. to their customers. Then the user can build their own applications. The services, availability of resources and data backup are handled by the service provider itself that helps the customers to focus more on their application and business requirements.
- Software as a Service (SaaS), as the name suggests, here the third-party providers provide end-user applications to their customers with some administrative capability at the application level, such as the ability to create and manage their users. Basic customization is possible such as the user can use their own corporate logos, colors, etc.
We have discussed about AWS, cloud computing and few of its services. But as the two sides of a coin, we have to keep in mind that with many of its advantages and reasons for its popularity it too has some disadvantages.
Security Issues: The Biggest concerns in today’s world:
The infrastructure provided by AWS cloud is designed in such a way which ensure flexibility and secure cloud network. It is a scalable and highly reliable platform that enables users to deploy applications and data quickly and securely and thus it is gaining its popularity in today’s market.
Security is the major issue in cloud computing. The cloud service providers implement the best security standards and industry certifications, however, storing data and important files on external service providers always a risk.
One of the technical issues that are very common is that if the internet connection is offline then we will not be able to access any of the applications, server, or data from the cloud.
Not easy to switch service providers:
It is usually promised that cloud will be flexible to use and integrate, however, switching cloud services is not easy.
Now, if you are looking for a job which is related to AWS then you need to prepare for the 2019 AWS Interview Questions. It is true that every interview is different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important AWS Interview Questions and Answers which will help you get success in your interview.
In this 2019 AWS Interview Questions article, we shall present 10 most important and frequently used AWS interview questions. These questions are divided into two parts:
Part 1 – AWS Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic AWS Interview Questions and Answers
Q1. What are the main components of AWS?
Following are the basic elements of AWS:-
- Route 53: It is a web service (DNS).
- E-mail Service: Provides email service which can be utilized by RESTFUL API or through normal SMTP.
- It provides strong protection and identity control services for AWS account.
- S3 Services: It’s like warehouse equipment and is a very widely well-known utilized service.
- Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2): It is used for hosting purposes. It is available on-demand and extremely valuable with variable workloads.
- Elastic Block Store (EBS): It provides persistent storage that connects to EC2 to endure data beyond the lifespan of a particular EC2 instance.
- Cloud Watch: It is used to observe AWS sources, it also provides facilities by which one can produce a notification alert in the state of crisis.
Q2. What is S3?
S3 stands for Simple Storage Service. It is possible to use S3 services to save and recover the unspecified volume of data, at any time and from everywhere over the web.
Let us move to the next AWS Interview Questions.
Q3. By default how many buckets can be created in AWS?
100 buckets are possible to be created by default for each AWS account.
Q4. In VPC with private and public subnets, where the database servers should ideally be launched (subnet)?
This is the basic AWS Interview Questions asked in an interview. Database servers should ideally be launched with separate subnets, among private and public subnets in VPC.
Q5. List out the components required for Amazon VPC?
Following are the components required for Amazon VPC:
Peering Connection, IG (Internet Gateway), HW VPN Connection, Subnet, Customer Gateway, Router, VPC Endpoint for S3, Virtual Private Gateway, Egress-only Internet Gateway, NAT Gateway.
Let us move to the next AWS Interview Questions
Q6. How do you safeguard EC2 instances running in VPC?
EC2 instances can be protected by using Security Groups in a VPC. Both INBOUND and OUTBOUND groups can be configured in a Security Group which enables secured access to the EC2 instances. It automatically denies any unauthorized access to the same.
Q7. In a VPC how many EC2 instances can be used?
By default, it is limited to launch 20 EC2 instances at once. However, a maximum of 65,536 instances is possible with VPC.
Part 2 – AWS Interview Questions (Advanced)
This part covers Advanced AWS Interview Questions and Answers
Q8. What are the different connectivity options present for VPC?
NAT, Internet Gateway (IG), Peering Connections, VPG (Virtual Private Gateway), End Points.
Q9. What are the different types of available Cloud Computing services?
Following are the few services available:
IAAS (Infrastructure as a Service), PAAS (Platform as a Service), SAAS (Software as a Service) etc.
Let us move to the next AWS Interview Questions.
Q10. When a standby Relational Database Service instance is launched will it be available in the same Available Zone?
It is not advisable to keep the same in the same zone because the main purpose of having standby RDS instance is to avoid an infrastructure failure.
So it is advisable to keep the standby RDS service in a different Availability Zone, which may have different infrastructure.
Q11. What is Lifecycle Hooks?
This is frequently asked AWS Interview Questions asked in an interview. It is used in Auto Scaling. It allows performing custom actions by pausing instances as an Auto Scaling group launches or by terminating them. It is possible to have multiple lifecycle hooks for each auto-scaling group.
Q12. Name two types of Load Balancer?
Application Load Balancer & Classic Load Balancer.
Q13. What is Hypervisor?
It is a kind of software that gives the advantage to enable virtualization.
Virtually it delivers the combination of physical hardware resources into a platform to one or more users.
XEN is the Hypervisor for EC2.
This has been a guide to the list of AWS Interview Questions and Answers. Here we have listed the top 13 Interview Questions and Answer that are commonly asked in interview with detailed responses. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –