Updated June 8, 2023
Introduction to AWS Architecture
AWS Architecture comprises infrastructure as service components and other managed services such as RDS or relational database services. EC2 instances, also known as elastic compute instances, form a crucial component of the AWS architecture. You can create and utilize EC2 instances as virtual machines for diverse business cases. The elastic load balancing feature lets you dynamically manage and configure these instances for on-demand scalability.
In addition, there are storage components such as S3 buckets and Elastic block stores, or EBS, associated with the EC2 Instances. AWS Architecture provisions certain network and security features, such as IAM roles and policies, are part of its architectural framework. AWS architecture is evolving with enhanced features and services, making AWS the industry’s leading cloud service provider.
Understanding the AWS Architecture
This is the basic structure of the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud architecture. As per requirement, virtual machines of different configurations could be used with the help of the EC2 instance. Pricing options and individual server mapping could be done using it. Load Balancing shares the software or hardware load across web servers, enhancing the efficiency of the server and the application. The hardware load balancer is the common network appliance in traditional web application architectures.
The Elastic Load Balancing service in the AWS architecture distributes traffic to EC2 instances across multiple available sources. Furthermore, the load-balancing rotation dynamically adds or removes Amazon EC2 hosts. Therefore, Elastic Load Balancing enables the dynamic scaling of the load balancing capacity. We will adjust the traffic demands going forward, and sticky sessions will handle advanced routing needs.
AWS Service Delivery
- To deliver content to the websites, Amazon CloudFront is used. The Amazon CloudFront uses a global network to contain the edge locations’ static, dynamic, and streaming content. The nearest edge location automatically receives the user end’s content, improving performance. Like Amazon S3 and EC2 instances, it also optimizes to work with AWS. The storage of original files is seamless and compatible with non-AWS origin servers. No monthly commitments or contracts are there in Amazon Web Services. You only pay a small amount for the content based on the service delivery.
- The Elastic Load Balancer distributes traffic across web servers to improve performance. Over multiple available zones, the traffic is distributed to the AWS EC2 instances. Load-balancing rotation dynamically adds or removes Amazon EC2 hosts. Elastic load Balancing dynamically scales the load-balancing capacity based on traffic conditions, allowing it to grow or shrink as needed.
- Like the inbound network firewall, Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud provides a feature called security groups. Specify the protocols and ports that are allowed to reach the instances. The assigned security groups for each EC2 instance route the appropriate traffic to the respective instances. The specific subnets configuring the security groups restrict access to EC2 instances.
- The Amazon Elastic Cache manages the memory cache in the cloud. As a result, the cache reduces the load on the services. In addition, caching frequently accessed information enhances database performance and scalability.
- Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) offers similar access to MySQL, Oracle, and other databases, enabling the use of familiar tools and applications. The database software patches itself automatically, and the user manages backups. Amazon S3 supports point-in-time recovery, and you only pay for the available resources.
- Amazon S3 stores data as objects called buckets within its resources. As per the requirement, any number of objects could be stored within the bucket. To access the data as block storage, the Amazon EBS could be used. We need persistence beyond the lifespan of running instances. To increase performance, up to one terabyte of the Amazon EBS volumes could be maximized.
- Unlike the traditional hosting model, Amazon Web Services (AWS) enables dynamic scaling of web applications to handle changes in traffic. In the traditional hosting model, organizations use traffic forecasting models to provision hosts in anticipation of projected traffic. According to the set of triggers, the Amazon Web Services instances could be provisioned for scaling the fleet out. With Amazon Auto Scaling, you can create capacity groups of servers that can dynamically grow or shrink as needed.
Advantages of AWS Architecture
AWS Architecture is crucial for any organization as it eliminates the burden of setting up the infrastructure to build an application.
Some of its advantages are as follows:
- We aim to minimize the management, maintenance, and investment overhead.
- The resources are globally available and are reliable as well.
- The right tools can increase productivity.
- The cloud security standards of the modern-day ensure security.
- Furthermore, we improve scalability.
Everyone, from web developers to data scientists, should learn AWS Architecture. Its plethora of resources makes life easier for any developer or analyst as it touches every aspect of technology. AWS gradually adds new resources and offerings to its platform. Knowledge of AWS would push someone in their career and keep them relevant in the job market for years, along with a high salary range.
This has been a guide to AWS Architecture. Here we discuss the introduction, understanding, and advantages of AWS Architecture. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –