Difference Between ASP.NET vs PHP
ASP.NET is an open-source server-side web application framework developed by Microsoft. It allows developers to build dynamic web applications and web services. It provides the programmer with a web development platform which allows them to build dynamic web pages.
PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development, originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994. It is also used a general-purpose programming language. PHP code can be integrated into the HTML code, or it can also be utilized in web CMS (Content Management System) and several web frameworks.
Apart from being a web development platform, ASP.NET also provides a programming model, a comprehensive software infrastructure and various other services which are mandatory to build a robust web application for computers and mobiles. It was first released in January 2002 and is the successor to Microsoft’s Active Server Pages (ASP) technology.
PHP started its journey as a small open source project which has eventually evolved over the years. It can be efficiently utilized to manage dynamic content, session tracking, and building e-commerce websites. There are lots of popular databases, which can be integrated efficiently with PHP code. Its code is usually processed by a PHP interpreter which is implemented as a module in web server. Web server combines the results of interpreted and executed PHP code, could be of any type, including images.
PHP is smugly zippy in its execution. Its execution works even smoother when compiled as an Apache module on Unix side. PHP also supports a considerable number of major protocols such as POP3, IMAP, and LDAP. Added support for Java and distributed object architectures, makes multiple tier development a reality for the first time in the PHP ecosystem.
ASP.NET is highly utilized to create dynamic web pages. It provides a lightweight and faster way to combine server code with HTML. Developers can write down elegant sites that conform to the latest web standards. It also helps to add videos, link to the social media sites. ASP.NET is a robust framework with which developers can write any type of applications. Moreover, we can use any sort of style to create an application.
PHP includes lots of free and open source libraries in its source distribution. It’s basically an internet-aware system with built-in modules for accessing FTP servers and many database servers. There are various functions familiar to C programmers, like in “stdio” family, are available in standard PHP builds.
Head To Head Comparison Between ASP.NET vs PHP (Infographics)
Below is the top 8 difference between ASP.NET vs PHP Performance
Key differences between ASP.NET vs PHP
Both ASP.NET vs PHP Performance are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between ASP.NET and PHP:
- ASP.NET is a paid Microsoft provided web application framework whereas PHP is server-side scripting language which is open source.
- ASP.NET is better suited for large and medium-sized organization whereas PHP is better equipped to server start-up and small sized organizations.
- ASP.NET being paid has a decent market share in the IT world whereas PHP being open source, is freely available to the developers has a higher market share than ASP.NET.
- The ASP.NET community is dedicated and contains decent numbers of developers to address problems whereas PHP being open source has a huge community size.
- ASP.NET is well equipped to serve and create desktop applications whereas PHP performs slower as compare to ASP.NET for desktop applications.
- ASP.NET is better suited for application where key concerns are security and functionality whereas PHP is better suited for applications contain a prime focus on user interfaces.
- ASP.NET framework inform the developers if they made any mistake in coding before compiling, thus more secure and less prone to bugs whereas PHP has no such option of letting the developer know about bad code in a pre-compiled stage.
- ASP.NET can be quite a challenge to learn and understand for a beginner and takes time to master whereas PHP being a scripting language is easier to learn and understand.
- ASP.NET has a license cost associated with it whereas PHP is open source and freely available.
- ASP.NET does not allow any irregularities while still being able to run whereas PHP is highly customizable, hence more prone to bugs, although web scripts can be written efficiently with it.
ASP.NET vs PHP Comparison Table
The primary Comparison between ASP.NET vs PHP Performance are discussed below:
The Basis Of Comparison Between ASP.NET vs PHP
|Type||Web application framework created by Microsoft||Server-side scripting language created by Rasmus Lerdorf|
|Support||Large to medium size enterprise applications||Small to medium sized web solutions|
|Cost||License cost attached||Freely available all over the web|
|Solutions||More focused on Security and functionalities||More focused on client facing, user interfaces|
|Community||Dedicated community with the fewer developers||Large size community since its open source|
|Security||Highly secure||Less built-in security feature than .NET|
|Speed||Decent speed, fast enough for desktop application||Not suitable and slower for desktop application|
|Customization||Less prone to customization||Allow customization causes bugs, thus poor coding than .NET|
PHP is the worlds most used and popular language on the internet is assisting the developer with a lot of applications. Its community is large and freely available on the web. The developer can start working with PHP in the lesser time since it’s easier to learn. It is an open source platform, unlike ASP.NET which is paid Microsoft platform. PHP is a mix between a programming language and a web framework whereas ASP.NET is a straight application framework.
An ASP.NET framework has the most amazing set of libraries. It comes along with a lot of features, thus allowing a developer to create a website with its inbuilt and drag-drop features. All these qualities come with a price tag in the form of a license fee. PHP developers lack the options to work with widely used web frameworks like ASP.NET. A programmer can write code in any language like C#, VB, and F# within ASP.NET ecosystem. But programmer lacks the options to write code in PHP. Thus, PHP enables developers to write an application in flexible ways by allowing them to choose from a wide range of web frameworks.
In ASP.NET vs PHP, Both ASP.NET vs PHP works efficiently, given the business case and required functionality suites to their taste. Both ASP.NET vs PHP have their own set of pros and cons. It is the developer’s skills and business case requirement which would decide the usage of these technologies.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between ASP.NET and PHP. Here we also discuss the ASP.NET vs PHP key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following ASP.NET vs PHP articles to learn more –
- Go vs Java- Useful Differences
- ASP vs ASP.NET – Find Out The Differences
- Django vs PHP Comparisons
- ASP.NET vs C#
- PHP vs.Net – Which One Is Better
- Go vs PHP: What are the Features
- MongoDB vs PostgreSQL: What are the Benefits
- MongoDB vs Hadoop: What are the Benefits
- MongoDB vs Postgres: What are the Benefits
- MongoDB vs Oracle; Functions
- MongoDB vs Cassandra: What are the Features
- ASP.NET vs .NET: Differences
- MongoDB vs DynamoDB: What are the Best differences
- MongoDB vs SQL: Want to know which is the best
- PHP vs C#: Best Features