Introduction to Features of ASP.NET
Microsoft has built a very powerful framework and most successful web application development framework. Microsoft is delivering many new updates which are new and extended features that help the developers to make their web application highly scalable. Also, which leads to high performance. If we coupled both things that are application monitoring with other performance tools like .net profiler tool (used to improve line by line code), it results in a more powerful solution for building an unbelievable application.
To boost up and increase the performance of the application it has many great features that also help to overcome the common development challenges. Web pages and technologies are created with the help of ASP.NET.
Top Features of ASP.NET
Let’s see some major features of ASP.NET in detail so as to build a better application.
1. High Performance
Performance is always a critical feature for any of the applications or software. Due to its ASP.NET Core and Kestrel web server, it’s remarked as the fastest and quick web application framework which is available in the market. Due to its new Kestrel web server, it is more fast and lightweight. Also, it has the advantage of asynchronous programming models. All other things like python, java, jsp, php use an interpreter. However, compilers are faster as compared to the interpreter. Compilers take all the code and compile at a time. So it is fast because ASP.NET uses compiler-based technology.
2. Cross-Platform and Container Support
As we say it supports cross-platform means it supports Windows, macOS, and Linux. So if we create ASP.NET application then we can directly deploy it on these platforms.
3. Asynchronous via Async/Await
Asynchronous programming patterns is now implemented in all .net frameworks classes and 3rd party libraries. You know why asp.net is faster, because of its wide use of asynchronous patterns in kestrel frameworks. However, most of the applications spend their lots of time waiting for database queries, web services call and its input-output operations to complete.
4. Rich Development Environments
If we are creating the application then we will use IDE i.e visual studio. It provides a rich development environment by which we can easily drag and drop the components (radio buttons, checkboxes, etc.) and create the application.
5. Language Independent
The framework is language independent that is developers can use various languages like C#. So it’s easy for a developer to make its application by language which they know. We can create a dynamic web application using any of the languages.
6. Supports for Web Sockets
Sockets are used to create a client – server-based Applications. By socket normally we can create web-based client-server applications. These provide back and forth communication of the browser.
7. Action Filters
NET supports a very great feature that is ACTION FILTERS. These filters are used to implement error handling, authorization, caching or to any custom logic which we would like to implement. There is a logic been implemented which will be executed before and after controller action. To implement these logic Action filters are used.
8. Globalization and Localization
We host the web application and it can be accessed from anywhere globally. So language, date and time format, number format, the currency must be different for different regions or countries. ASP.NET supports globalization so that different countries’ clients or people also can understand and they can access this application. ASP.NET customize our application for different languages with the help of resource files. These files act as a central repository where all the texts are placed.
As it supports the .net framework so it will provide security for our application. Applications have its individual identity, so before running this .net will check its identity of those objects. It will also check the operating system security. Due to its pre-application configuration and feature of built-in windows authentication, our developed application is safe and secure. With built-in Windows authentication and per-application configuration, your applications are safe and secured.
10. Supports for HTML5 Form Types
It provides support for HTML5 form types. There the new controls are available in HTML5 like email, URL, Number, RNGE, Date pickers (week, date, month, time, DateTime-local, etc.), color and search.
11. NET Web API
This includes ASP.NET web forms. HTTP services are easily consumed and build with the help of ASP.NET Web API.
Why Should we Use ASP.NET?
Let see some of the important uses of ASP.NET which are given below:
- We have seen so many features of ASP.NET and because of the wide variety of features and functionalities, it is widely used in the market. Security is the major thing and the most important one. Suppose we have logged in our bank account and then we navigated to the different websites. If that other website does money transfer, it’s really a bad thing. So ASP.NET really has a very good framework that will prevent these types of cyber-attacks.
- Also, ASP.NET framework supports caching by which it’s easy to specify how long any request should be cached through the common HTTP header.
- ASP.NET is a server-side technology that uses compilers to compile the code which leads to faster performance. Also, it reduces the number of lines of code to build large applications. One of the major reasons for using ASP.NET is its wide variety of languages for building an application. It is not restricted to only one language, it allows us to use .net languages like C#, J#, VB, etc.
- Many popular web sites like web amazon.com, eBay and many more use ASP.NET for its development. webserver monitors and notices memory leaks, infinite loops, illegal activities. It continuously monitors the web components and application pages. As soon as it found any of these activities, it will destroy those activities there itself and restart.
- ASP.NET pages are easy to write and maintain because of the source code and HTML codes are together. As the source code is executed on the server-side it leads to powerful and flexible web pages.
This is a guide to the Features of ASP.NET. Here we discuss the introduction and top 11 different features of ASP.NET. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –