Difference Between ArangoDB vs MongoDB
- ArangoDB and MongoDB databases both are NoSQL databases which may seem to be identical at the first glance but they are slightly unlike when it approaches data modeling as well as data querying.
- Between both the databases the main difference is that ArangoDB is more flexible and purposeful when functioning with graph data.
- ArangoDB is defined as an inherent multi-model DBMS for graph, key/value, document, and search. It is all in one engine and available with one query language.
- MongoDB is one of the most standard document stores accessible both as a fully managed cloud service and for deployment on self-managed infrastructure.
Head to Head Comparison Between ArangoDB vs MongoDB (Infographics)
Below are the top differences between ArangoDB vs MongoDB.
- The ArangoDB and the MongoDB both are classified as Databases tools.
- Whereas, MongoDB database tool is explained as a database for huge ideas that stores data records in JSON-like documents which can differ in structure, delivering a dynamic as well as flexible schema. Also, this MongoDB was created to gain high availability and scalability by having built-in replication with Auto-Sharding.
- ArangoDB is intended for quick development and easy clambering by decreasing development effort and supporting data-model flexibility. One can create production ready session facilities in minutes with the support of Foxx Microservices Framework.
- Both databases tools include Multi-Document Transactions and Multi-Collection Transactions.
- ArangoDB and MongoDB both contain Text Search and Geospatial type indexing and queries. They also have Server-Side functions and encryption is TLS/SSL type.
- Both databases tools include authentication and auditing with enterprise version.
- ArangoDB maintains all the elementary security necessities by means of Foxx Microservice framework where users can gain very great security standards fitting specific needs.
- ArrangoDB and MongoDB both have concurrency and durability with user access concepts.
- ArangoDB has unique categories as Graph Databases, Enterprise Search Software, Database as a Service i.e. DBaaS, and Key-Value Databases. Whereas MongoDB includes no such distinct categories.
Comparison Table of ArangoDB vs MongoDB
Following explains the comparison of ArangoDB and MongoDB:
|It was initially released in 2009.||It was released in 2012 initially.|
|License: It is commercial/AGPLv3||License: It is commercial/Apache 2|
|It does not contain a commercial-friendly license.||It contains a commercial-friendly license.|
|It is written in the C++ programming language.||It is inscribed in the C++ programming language itself.|
|Its data model is document.||Its data model is multi-model documents, graphs, key-value.|
|It is schema free having further schema validation.||It is schema free having schema validation with Foxx.|
|Its data format is JSON/BSON.||Its data format is JSON/VelocyPack.|
|The data storage is MMAPv1/WIREDTIGER.||The data storage is MMFiles/RocksDB.|
|It is perseverance to disk.||It is perseverance disk.|
|It has Auto-Sharding.||It has Auto-Sharding.|
|The replication is async with its conflict resolution as Master/Agent.||The replication is sync/async with its conflict resolution as Master/Master and Master/Agent.|
|It does not have elastic scalability.||It has elastic scalability and also on K8s.|
|It does not hold zero configuration.||It holds zero configuration.|
|It does not have native Apache Mesos support.||It has native Apache Mesos support consisting persistent primitives.|
|The transactional Model is ACID.||The transactional Model is ACID as well.|
|It does not have any declarative query language.||SQL like query language, AQL works as a declarative query language for all data-models.|
|It does not consist of innovative path-finding using many algorithms.||It consists of innovative path-finding using many algorithms.|
|The TinkerPop support is absent.||The TinkerPop support is available.|
|It has role based access control.||It also has role based access control with attribute level via Foxx framework.|
|It does not contain web based GUI i.e. self-contained.||It contains web based GUI i.e. self-contained.|
|It even does not contain Cluster friendly GUI.||It further contains Cluster friendly GUI.|
|The server operating systems where it can be used are Linux, OS X, Solaris, Windows.||The server operating systems where it can be used are Linux, OS X, Windows.|
|It has triggered.||It has no triggers.|
|It does not contain Foreign keys.||It contains Foreign keys.|
|The key customers are ADP, Cisco, Bosch, Barclays, Adobe, Amadeus, Auto trader, BBVA, CERN,AstraZeneca, etc.||The key customers are Cisco, Siemens Mentor, Barclays, Kabbage, MakeMyTrip, Refinitive, Douglas, Liaison, etc.|
|MongoDB has 16.2K GitHub stars with 4.08K forks.||ArangoDB has 8.14K GitHub stars with 575 forks.|
|MongoDB is used by few popular companies like Lyft, Bodybuilding.com, MIT, etc.||ArangoDB is used by the companies like Stepsize, AresRPG, and Brainhub.|
|It has broader approval i.e. stated in 2175 company stacks with 2143 developer stacks.||It is listed in 11 company stacks with 13 developer stacks.|
|It also has decent documentation.||It has good documentation.|
|Joins is not supported.||It includes Joins for collections.|
|Job role openings can be Python Intern Citrusbug Technolabs in Ahmedabad, Test Specialist Automation IBM in Bengaluru, Senior Quality Engineer Larsen & Toubro Infotech Limited, Full Stack Developers at RannLab Technologies in Agra, Python Developer at Innovate Technologies in Lonavale.||Job role openings can be Software Engineering at JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in Mumbai.|
|Some tools that can be integrated with MongoDB are Meteor, Datadog, Mongoose, Let’s Encrypt, Metabase, JSON, and MongoDBAtlas.||Some tools that can be integrated with ArangoDB are Spring Data, ArangoDB Foxx, Spring Data, FF4J, ArangoSearch, TypeArango, Foxx-Builder, Cruddl.|
- ArangoDB a database tool is developed by ArrangoDB Inc. whereas MongoDB database tool was industrialized by MongoDB Inc.
- MongoDB is known to be the foremost modern, common purpose data platform which was designed to release the authority of software and data for the creators and the applications that they create.
- ArangoDB characterizes single engine, single query language with multiple data models.
This is a guide to ArangoDB vs MongoDB. Here we discuss the ArangoDB vs MongoDB key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –