Alpha and Beta Testing
Alpha and Beta Testing process help the launch of the product by building the needed confidence using validation techniques at the customer end. It includes feedbacks from different teams and much more importantly the strategies process and goals involved in building the product play a bigger role. Determination of existing bugs of the priorly tested product is also a key aspect of this kind of testing. The life span for each of these products in these distributed markets and its success after the launch can also be largely determined using this process. On the other hand, it also allows the customers to gain some kind of experience to the surface of the product. Each of these strategies has saved a large sum of dollars for tech giants like Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc.
Understanding Alpha Testing
Mostly carried on by internal QA and test teams. it acts as the final layer of testing from the development site. Usually takes place after acceptance testing. The key people involved in alpha testing areas below,
1) First phase by developers
2) Second phase by software QA people
The process of alpha testing involves the below steps,
- Requirements and design specification are reviewed.
- Test plan and test cases are developed comprehensively.
- Test plan execution.
- Log defects.
- Determine the issues captured.
- Enlist the issues.
- Get the issues fixed.
- Retest the whole setup.
Understanding Beta Testing
This phase helps the developing segment to gain the user level feedback on the software shared. After completion of alpha testing the beta testing process comes into role. Here the whole software will be available for use to some set of external users. here the software version initially shared with users is called as a beta version. Only this version of testing allows the use of real-time users in their real-time environment.
This segment of testing assists to wrap the segment where the testing of the application for its corresponding classified set of environments can be tested. Beta releases build it to ease where a large number of applications on the test machines can be tested with ease and their errors can be flexibly determined and fixed. These selections of test groups in the beta level can be accomplished according to company needs. Like either a smaller sample test group can be invited by the developer company or make it open for any user in the company, this acts as a great cost saving scenario because a couple of major fixes can be easily determined in this phase.
Advantages of Alpha and Beta Testing
1) Determining and fixing bugs which were missed in previous testing phases.
2) Reliability and usage level of the product can be determined.
3) Build in the faith of the customer for the product.
4) Management of testing in an effective manner.
5) Before and after the launch of the product the possible factors of risk can be easily judged.
6) Better opinion and perception of the product can be gathered.
7) Real-time user feedbacks largely enhances the life cycle and timeline of the product in the market.
8) Customer satisfaction can be accomplished.
Disadvantages of Alpha and Beta Testing
1) Customers may not strictly follow according to the scope of the product.
2) All these processes involve a large amount of documentation which is going to be large time-consuming.
3) These testing scenarios may neglect some test scenarios in some instances.
4) On the other end, these cases operate only on the operation scope of business.
Why Alpha and Beta Testing?
1) Tools for testing websites.
2) Form of Agile project management
3) Quality assurance in software products.
4) These tests are reviewed and designed for business requirements.
5) Traceability matrix ought to be accomplished for all the alpha tests and requirements.
6) Domain testing team with knowledge about the domain and product.
1) When tech giants launch new products in the market they prefer to alpha testing on their products.
2) The beta test commences with a gathering of every stakeholder as soon as an adequately steady beta build process is ready. These meetings are conducted frequently all the way through the beta test to keep posted of every one of the stakeholders on the advancement of the beta test and collect reaction and proposal from the rest of the teams. Also, beta test teams put forth recurrent meetings to proactively monitor the beta test and take remedial behavior if needed.
3) This segment of testing assists to wrap the segment where testing of the application for its corresponding classified set of environments can be tested. Beta releases build it to ease where a large number of applications on the test machines can be tested with ease and their errors can be flexibly determined and fixed.
Both these testing techniques are largely significant in each of the company and also play a major role in the success of a product. Moreover, these techniques provide quality increase and performance increase for the product and also helps to troubleshoot the releases of the software in the market. These phases of testing largely boost the satisfaction of stakeholders and customers in the market.
This has been a guide to Alpha and Beta Testing. Here we discussed the Concepts, Understanding, Advantage, Disadvantage with Examples. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –