(Image Credit : Freepik)
Technology saw a significant boom in usage between 1990 and 2000. Today, technology is one of the irreplaceable parts of our life. From healthcare and education to recreational, technology is integral everywhere. In 2023, when careers like data science and artificial intelligence are among top-shot choices, only a few are aware that the technology dates back to the 18th century. Thus let’s discuss what one exactly means by technology alongside covering the advantages and disadvantages of technology.
What is Technology?
The technology involves scientific knowledge for practical applications, especially in the industrial and business sectors. Even the discovery of the wheel is also part of technology, not just computers that run on electricity. Today, most relate technology with electronics, called electronic technology, that runs on electricity.
With cutting-edge technology taking over a significant part of our lives, technology is no longer an option but a necessity. Earlier, when people needed wood logs to cook a bowl of rice, today same is possible with the advent of an induction plate, all thanks to technology. It gave birth to different fields like biotechnology, bio-engineering, food technology, etc.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Technology
Let’s discuss some of the top advantages and disadvantages of technology:-
7 Advantages of Technology
With digitization, people’s needs saw continuous evolvement and thus dependence on it for everyday tasks.
- It Made Communication Easier and Fast: Technology made way for quicker and more effective communication as long-distance communication no longer needs pigeons.
- Track Down Repetitive Tasks: Technology allows using a human workforce for the rest of other work except for repetitive tasks. Whether sending emails or reminders to thousands, smart technology makes work efficient. Now, one can use technology to be more innovative.
- Promotes Equality: The distribution of resources is way more accessible than ever, with resources reaching even far-flung areas. Today, one can access thousands of books and even complete education online.
- A boon for Financial Literacy: Today, one can learn about taxes, investment, mutual funds, etc., using their smartphone. You can check with a ping on your smartphone that your salary got its place in your bank accounts.
- It Made People Efficient: Today, one can order a platter of food or clothes while sitting at home working on other commitments, thus increasing convenience. Also, applications that use the Pomodoro technique allow people to be mindful of time.
- Plethora of Information: No longer must one travel to Ethiopia or Egypt to know its history or see the Pyramid of Giza. Besides, one can learn almost any skill through platforms like Youtube and applications like Coursera, etc.
- Combination of Tech with Nature: Bio-engineering, a new environment-friendly field help in the betterment of human health and the environment.
8 Disadvantages of Technology
- Technology Can be Addictive: Social media is one of the parts of the internet that plays with our brain chemicals. Triggering the feel-good hormone dopamine, smartphone users crave more of the hormone, similar to drug addicts.
- Technology Breeds Laziness: With the availability of OTT platforms, people spend more time indulging in procrastination and bingeing web series and movies. Technology like automation software can result in over-dependence on machines and thus decreased motivation to work.
- Sharp Rise in Infodemic: The digital revolution gave rise to an infodemic, widespread fake news targeted to trigger political or religious unrest.
- Cyber-bullying and Crime on the rise: Today, cyber crimes are a grave problem in every part of the world. From scamming people with malicious links to cyber-bullying, the technological surge gave way for people with criminal minds to blackmail one while sitting in front of their screens from anywhere.
- Disrupted Work-Life Balance: With the constant availability of smartphones and mediums like Zoom, employees no longer get free post-working hours. With urgent meetings to projects, phones keep ringing with work calls even late at night. It results in more instances of burnout, stress, and health concerns.
- Technology Replace in-person Communications: Today, even while sitting in one room, people message one another to interact. People prefer online meetings over in-person group discussions to socialize.
- Threatens Sense of Security: With A.I. and every other application demanding user information, personal information is no longer personal. Even when a data breach is no longer uncommon, it can threaten one’s security. Due to the possibility of hacking systems with viruses like trojans, etc., technology can threaten one’s safety and sensitive information like bank accounts, etc.
- Highly Expensive: The latest technology can upshoot the budget as they are expensive to purchase and maintain. Any fault or malfunction can lead to the shutdown of daily operations, costing a fortune for repairs.
To summarize the advantages and disadvantages of technology, technology is both a boon and a bane for society. It entirely depends on what commitment and responsibility it is in use.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Advantages and Disadvantages of Technology” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,