Differences Between WordPress vs Magento
WordPress is an online and open-source website creation tool written in PHP language. It is the most popular open source Content Management System. WordPress exclusively supports MySQL only to store data. Magento is one of the famous and most widely used open-source e-commerce software. Magento has many high and rich features e-commerce platform. Magento uses PHP language to develop the software.
WordPress is initially released by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little in the year 2003. It is declared as an Open source in the year 2009. WordPress is a powerful blogging and Content Management System (CMS), which allows users to build dynamic websites and also facilitate customizing, updating and managing the website from its back-end components.
As mentioned earlier, WordPress allows people to create blogs also i.e., to build communities, sharing ideas, and some of their own stories which help many others to make proper decisions.
Some of the WordPress features are listed below:
- User Management: This feature mainly allows managing User information such as the role of the user, create, delete, and changing user password.
- Media Management: This is the tool used to manage media files and folders.
- Theme System: This Theme system feature permits a site to view and its functionality.
- Multilingual: This is a very useful feature that helps to translate the website full content to the user’s preferred language.
- Importers: Importers helps in importing data in the form of posts to the website.
- Search Engine Optimization.
- Magento was developed by a US private company – “Varien, Inc” (headquartered in Culver City, California) in the year 2008.
- The architecture of Magento is very flexible and scalable with many control options that are user-friendly and it allows the user to update automatically which is very quick, simple and easy to use for E-commerce.
- Magento provides services from a small organization to large organizations to build a business by enabling the searching and sorting of products in many ways.
Head to Head Comparison Between WordPress vs Magento
Below Is The Top 5 Comparison Between WordPress vs Magento
Key Differences Between WordPress vs Magento for ecommerce
Both WordPress vs Magento are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Differences Between WordPress vs Magento:
- WordPress is an online and open source website creation tool written in PHP language whereas Magento is written in the PHP language, which uses Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) techniques to create e-commerce websites.
- Installation of WordPress is very easy, user-friendly and with a lot of menus to use it, but an installation of Magento is little difficult compared to WordPress. It will be more challenge to the beginners.
- WordPress has very less security that makes hackers to hack the websites easily which are built using WordPress, whereas Magento has very high and robust security to their e-commerce websites
- The WordPress has very good default plugins in its plugin directory. There are free WordPress plugins (more than 38000) are available in the Plugin directory and also premium plugins which are paid service. But in the case of Magento, Since it focuses only on e-commerce features – it does not facilitate much default features.
WordPress vs Magento Comparison Table
The main comparison between WordPress vs Magento for ecommerce are as follows-
|The Basis Of
Comparison Between WordPress vs Magento
|About & Definition||WordPress is one of the famous Content Management System that consists of many default themes, plugins, and other inbuilt tools which helps a user to create blogs, portfolio, e-portal, or an e-commerce website site.
More than 70 million websites are present across the web uses the WordPress platform.
|Magento has many high and rich features ecommerce development platform. It includes and provides all facilitates to create and support webstores from the beginning.
Popular Course in this category
WordPress Training (3 Courses, 3+ Projects) 3 Online Courses | 3 Hands-on Project | 25+ Hours | Verifiable Certificate of Completion | Lifetime Access
4.5 (1,064 ratings)
Related CoursesJava Training (38 Courses, 21 Projects)Python Certification Training (35 Courses, 12+ Projects)HTML Training (12 Courses, 16+ Projects)
More than 150,000 of e-commerce website are built using the Magento platform.
|Installation and Ease of Use
|Series of Posts and Pages which can be edited easily are available in WordPress.
Loops and function tags will be used to call the Page or Post content in the website while developing template files.
There are many default template files can be used to custom the website.
For any instance, there is no need of creating a new template file to set up any additional CMS Page templates.
The call function within these templates is performed using PHP script as written below:
<?php the_content(); ?><?php
|Since Magento operates with more programmatic fashion, it is not easy to form a page as compared to WordPress.
To set up additional CMS Page templates, a user must be created the new module and that updates the list of templates which are available and suitable to it.
The call function within these templates is performed using a PHP script as written below:
echo $this->getChildHtml(‘content’) ?>
|Security||Websites which build using WordPress will keep targeted by hackers. However, WordPress is built on a very secure code, and it responds to security threats and attacks very quickly. WordPress also has a feature that gives auto updates which allow the website to update automatically when there is a new security patch released.||Magento is giving more importance to Security, unlike WordPress. It is well known for its high and robust security features. A user should make sure about an installation of extensions whether those are reliable, developed by professional Magento supported developers and is that really necessary to do it.
|Flexibility||WordPress facilitates a wide range of plugins, some are free/ inbuilt and some are paid service plugins to help user convert a simple website into an online store for e-commerce business.||Since Magento focus only on e-commerce features, it loses the race with WordPress inflexibility.
But a strong e-commerce can be built using Magento.
Both WordPress vs Magento are open source and fantastic CMS (Content Management Systems) and also for e-commerce. But Magento is a more suitable and stable platform to build e-commerce because of high security to the business.
Even though WordPress has got many good features/plugins over Magento, it is recommended that Magento is ideal for building e-commerce websites and WordPress is good to build websites that allow people to create blogs also i.e., to build communities, sharing ideas, and some of their own stories which help many others to make proper decisions.
This has a been a guide to the top differences between WordPress vs Magento. Here we also discuss the WordPress vs Magento key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –