Updated July 28, 2023
Difference Between WLAN vs WWAN
In WLAN vs WWAN, wireless networking operates on microwaves to regulate transmitter and receiver communications devices like desktops, laptops, mobile applications, and business networks connected to the internet. It is a computer networking technology that allows the user’s devices to access the information without any connecting wires. The connection is established to a particular extent of the business wireless network if any devices are connected to Wi-Fi. There are four major categories of wireless network.
- Wireless Local Area Network
- Wireless Metropolitan Area Network
- Wireless Wide Area Network
- Wireless Personal Area Network
Head to Head Comparison BetweenWLAN vs WWAN (Infographics)
Below are the top 10 differences between WLAN vs WWAN.
Key Differences of WLAN vs WWAN
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between WLAN vs WWAN.
- WLAN is proposed by the standard IEEE 802.11. This standard was established with a frequency of 5 GHz to transfer data of 54Mbit per second. WLAN has an abounded signal range and can be established in a room or building, especially in an indoor range with short coverage of around 40m. It is created by connecting two or more computers to a single internet network. The owner controls the network operator. If the development of a wireless network is increased to higher bitrate values, the values didn’t reach as high as the network. in recent days, the good bitrate value can have a network design that corresponds to standard 802.11n with data transmit of 540Mbit per second. The bit rate values are measured in IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11.b, and IEEE 802.11.a
- WWAN provides services for the user to connect to wireless using remote or public, or private access. The connection is established in a huge geographic range, like a complete city that uses mobile operators’ current network structure. The WWAN started with a standard of 802.20, and is the goal is to achieve optimization of Mobile Broadband Wireless Access which is called MBWA. This 802.20 standard stands as a tough competitor for classical models of 2.5 and 3G. The WWAN successfully made the possibility of superficial voice transfer. It is also measured in GPS is Global positioning system, General Packet Radio Service is called as GPRS is, EDGE is abbreviated from Enhanced Data rates for global evolution, Universal mobile telecommunication system is known as UMTS, HSUPA is a high-speed uplink packet, and HSPDA is a high-speed downlink packet access.
- WLAN and WWAN are different wireless networks that offer an internet connection. If the user is within the range, the internet connection to the network is very fast and gives quick access to a mailbox, file downloads, storage, loading of websites, etc. The typical difference to be stressed is coverage, whereas one is set up in the home and the other is established over a town. Because of this major difference, Wireless Wide Area Network cannot operate on the same technology as Wireless Local Area Network does. WLAN, such as Wi-Fi, has limited ranges and requires many nodes to cover a wide area. WWAN adopts telecommunication which is adaptable for wider coverage. Since WWAN covers a wider range simultaneously, it implements security protocols also. The security protocols employed are WPA, WLAN, and WEP. Even though it’s advanced, it is not a guaranteed option. But still, few people use it as unsecured networks as they are prone to vulnerable encryption. But they can receive signals even though they use unsecured networks.
- Performance of WLAN has an import over WWAN. The limited range covers a few people and focuses on operating speed with high performance. But it is not related to network connection which has limited to WLAN or WWAN speeds. WLAN is adaptable for moving and hosting files from one device or system to another and related applications. The deployed feature in WLAN is DLNA, a method for connecting devices in a LAN to regulate storage for all media types. But this is not suitable for WWAN because of its low operating speed. Few people take benefits of both the technology according to their requirements.
WLAN vs WWAN Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between WLAN vs WWAN.
|Abbreviation||WLAN stands for wireless local area networks. it is also called a LAWN that is a local area wireless network||WWAN stands for wireless wide area network|
|Performance||The performance of WLAN is high compared to other wireless networks.||The performance of WWAN is low compared to other wireless networks.|
|Coverage||It is covered within a campus or building or that tech parks.||It is established worldwide.|
|Application||It is used in the mobile propagation of wired networks.||It is applied to the mobile devices from the internet, or outdoor access via multiple satellite system referred to as a spectrum of 3G and 4G|
|Standards||The standards of WLAN are HiperLAN, Wi-Fi and IEEE 802.11||The standards of WWAN are measured in 2G and 3G|
|Technology||It is a temporary network formed with a limited number of users in the short-range without access points or network resources.||It belongs to the family of GSM, CDMA or CDMA 2000. Belong to cellular family to transmit and receive the data|
|Services||It offers service to the desktop laptop, mobile application, and all the devices that work on the internet.||It provides service only to smartphones and tablets.|
|Installation Set up||WLAN is an affordable method and can be set up in 24 hours||Replacement of connecting lost WWAN is costly, and ISP contract should be made for Internet service access which is high.|
|Security||WLAN is not secure as WWAN||WWAN provides the best security than WLAN because of its 128-bit encryption|
|Speed||WLAN operates faster than WWAN because of its short-range establishment||It is not as fast as WLAN since it has a global range of access.|
In simple, WWAN uses telecom while WLAN doesn’t use it for its operation. WLAN is worked in a secure condition where WWAN is not that secure. WLAN is faster than WWAN because of its coverage. WLAN has DLNA for its effective usage. If the user wants to set up an internet connection in his home, he can prefer WLAN, and if he wants to be a businessman for an internet service provider, then he must choose WWAN. Each has its unique feature and adaptable according to its requirements.
This is a guide to WLAN vs WWAN. Here we discuss the difference between WLAN vs WWAN, along with key differences, infographics,& a comparison table. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –