Updated April 17, 2023
Difference Between Wireshark vs Fiddler
The following article provides an outline for Wireshark vs Fiddler. Wireshark is defined as a network protocol analyser which can be deployed either on Windows, Linux or Mac. The Wireshark is responsible for capturing ample type of network packet where the captured packet details are below TCP/IP (and HTTP is at the topmost). But it does not include filters that help to minimize the noise which gets captured too. On the other hand, the Fiddler can be demarcated as a web debugging proxy tool which can capture the HTTP(s) traffic and can be only deployed or installed on Windows.
Thus, Fiddler functions as an HTTP or HTTPs alternative, capturing each HTTP request that the computer system makes and also records everything related to it. Further, it permits few things such as changing post variables into a table form and then modifying/replaying the requests. But by default, the Fiddler is not responsible in IE for capturing the localhost traffic.
Head to Head Comparison Between Wireshark vs Fiddler (Infographics)
Below are the top 10 differences between Wireshark vs Fiddler:
Key Difference Between Wireshark vs Fiddler
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Wireshark vs Fiddler:
- The Wireshark is said to be the world’s leading and broadly implemented network protocol analyser which helps to observe what’s going on in the network at a miniscule level and is also denoted as standard diagonally numerous profitable and non-profit enterprises, even government organizations and educational associations.
- Wireshark improvement flourishes cheers to the volunteer assistances of networking specialists around the sphere and is known to be the persistence of a scheme initialized by Gerald Combs in the year 1998.
- The Wireshark is an exceedingly trustworthy cross-platform application that has been innovated since 1998. The latest version of it supports entire platforms containing macOS, Linux and Windows even if the UI is not relatively up-to-date.
- Few of the progressive structures of the Wireshark app are intended to have a lot of low-level info to gratify hard-core designers so that it may not be welcoming to further users.
- It may be tough to decide which application is best suited for practice and several developers work on it to enhance the best features. But in a nutshell, if someone is a security developer or a hacker who require a whole set of proxy tools for digging deep into the network level, then he/she can go with anyone options between both, either Wireshark or Fiddler.
- The most robust feature of Fiddler includes setting breakpoints after which one can fix any sort of message in httpRequest containing host, data or cookie in the form.
- Fiddler is responsible for examining traffic, swindle with requests & responses, confirms the valid cookies, cache directories and headers are conveyed between the server and client. Fiddler also supports frameworks that include Java, .Net, Ruby, etc., and can modify or pretend responses and requests on any website.
- Thus, fiddler provides a swift and simple method for altering the request and responses for testing websites but not modifying the code program. The Fiddler is implemented to record all HTTP/S traffic between the Internet and the computer system.
- Fiddler holds the functionality for capturing traffic through its functionality decrypt HTTPS, so it should be noticed that one must enable this earlier to start the capturing process.
- Both Wireshark and Fiddler have few basic features such as intercept and analyse, detects requests and responses on the mobile simulators and devices, repeat and compose responses and requests and also export responses and requests to common files like Format, HAR, Log.
- Wireshark is a favoured tool implemented when troubleshooting Sharepoint connectivity concerns. It cannot snort traffic inside the identical machine, i.e. localhost on Windows. Therefore, if one requires to use the sniff local traffic, we have to use Fiddler on Windows.
- Wireshark is capable of screening procedures by means of regular expressions for writing. It is other tool to grasp packages which are more robust than Fiddler along with more messages. Whereas in fiddler, some features are not available such as verification of anti-cheating info and Pingback messages and also it implements to a single request only; the next request requires to be reset. Therefore, Wireshark is a powerful tool than Fiddler.
Wireshark vs Fiddler Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Wireshark vs Fiddler:
|It can be installed on the platforms such as Windows, SaaS, etc.||It can be installed on the platforms such as Windows, Mac, etc., currently.|
|Audience: The packet analysers searching for a network protocol analyser for viewing their network at a miniscule level.||Audience: Those who require an operational web debugging proxy.|
|It has online support for its users.||It has online support for its users.|
|Anyone can learn or be trained through documentation.||Anyone can learn or be trained through documentation.|
|The company who developed Wireshark is Wireshark, which was founded in 1998 in the United States, and the website link is www.wireshark.org.||The company who developed Fiddler is Progress Software, which was founded in 1981 in the United States, and the website link is www.telerik.com/fiddler.|
|Its alternatives can be Cisco Packet Tracer, Cloudshark, Fiddler also, Netreo, PathSolutions TotalView, etc.||Its alternatives can be Postman, Wireshark also, Insomnia, Ping-API, Paw, etc.|
|It belongs to the categories of VoIP Monitoring and Network Troubleshooting.||It belongs to the categories of Bug Tracking and API Testing.|
|Integrations: It includes River Network & Application Performance and ScyllaDB.||Integrations: It contains River Network & Application Performance and also ScyllaDB.|
|It is open source and does not cost any price, as well as its free version is also existing.||Its initial cost is $12 per operator per month, and the free version is also present.|
|It is applied for local map, whitelist and blacklist, breakpoint, external proxying, rewrite and network throttling.||It is applied by Skybox Security, NeoQuant and Cloud Drive.|
Both Wireshark and Fiddler performs identical things, which is capturing network traffic. Fiddler is implemented by Skybox Security, Cloud Drive and NeoQuant. Wireshark is an analyser of the network packet that aids to capture the packet data info. Wireshark can be installed on operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux, whereas the Fiddler can only be set up on Windows. Fiddler is a program for debugging websites, and Wireshark interactively glances at the traffic executing on a computer network.
This is a guide to Wireshark vs Fiddler. Here we discuss Wireshark vs Fiddler key differences with infographics and comparison table, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –