Updated May 22, 2023
What is a Web Application?
In today’s world, web application usage is growing daily. Professionals in software areas, like Software developers and Software Testers, need to have familiar with Web Applications.
It is a client-server application program stored on a remote server that uses web browsers and web technology to perform specific functions over the Internet through a browser interface.
As said above, It is a client-server application program; therefore, multiple computers can share information by saving it into a database in the client-server environment. The “client” can be used to enter the information, and the ‘server’ is used as storage for the information.
Simply, you can define it as a computer program that performs specific tasks for its client using a web browser. Web-based applications are also known as web apps.
Examples of common include webmail such as Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL, online retail sales; online forms and shopping carts; word processors, spreadsheets; video and photo editing; file conversion and file scanning; Google Apps such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, online storage and more.
There are six different types of applications:
- Online Store or E-Commerce
- Portal Web Apps
- Content Management System
To understand the concept of a web application, you need a webserver to handle the user requests, an application server to perform the required tasks, and a database to store the information.
The below points explain this process briefly:
- A user sends a request to the web server through the Internet, which uses either a web browser or an application’s user interface.
- Next, the Web server sends the user request to the appropriate web application server.
- The server performs a specified function, such as querying the database or processing the requested data.
- The server forwards the user data to the web server with the requested information.
- In the end, the Web server displays the requested information of a user on the screen.
How does it make working so easy?
It makes working very quickly based on client-server architecture. Here, the client is used to enter the information, and the server is used to store and retrieve the information. It interacts with applications, middleware systems, and databases to work with multiple applications together. The server accepts a user’s request sent over the browser. After this, the browser executes those files and displays the requested page to the user. Now, the user can interact with the website.
What can you do with it?
The best example of a web application is web email, where Google’s Gmail and Microsoft’s Outlook provide web-based email clients.
You can do the following things :
- You can display the reports in graphical format.
- To get information on the product online.
- Workers can get information related to tasks through mobile devices.
- This application allows remote workers to complete the job within the specified time.
- Customers can easily track the orders and budgets of Goods.
The below-listed points describe working with the web application process:
- Initially, the client will request to HTTP server through HTTP.
- Next, the web server will send a message to the static data store with the help of a static data request.
- The web server responds to a static data store and moves to an application server using the servlet request that includes a web container and other services.
- Then servlet request extracts information from the application data store and responds to a web server.
- In the end, the webserver gives a response to the user by using HTTP Response.
The following are the advantages:
- It runs on different types of platforms.
- Data is secure and easy to take Backup.
- You can easily update the application.
- You can easily use low specifications of PCs or smartphones.
- It eliminates compatibility issues as a user can access the same version.
- With the help of SaaS, they reduce software piracy in subscription-based web applications.
- With a web application, employees can work from anywhere using internet access.
The following are the essential skills needed for developing a web application:
- Handle storage and retrieve the information using server-side scripts such as PHP, ASP.Net, and Ruby.
- WordPress and SEO
- Responsive design skills
- Development tools like IDEs, editors (Visual Studio, Eclipse)
- Web servers (Apache, IIS)
Why should we use or why do we need Web Applications?
It would be best if you used or needed it to deliver business benefits to the customers. The below points specify why we use or need this in the software area:
- You can easily create a responsive design for a better user experience.
- The storage of the web application can be increased as there is a cloud storage facility.
- It reduces business costs as businesses have less maintenance and low requirements for the end user’s system.
- Installing is unnecessary because all systems will have a browser, thus eliminating space limitations.
- It enhances the customer’s product and services by collecting existing customer feedback.
- Using it, you contact anybody and anywhere in the world.
The scope of this includes improvement of customer’s productivity and efficiency. It uses fewer business costs and allows access to business information anywhere in the world. It saves time, money, and connectivity between consumers and business partners.
Who is the right audience for learning Web Applications technologies?
These technologies have a large target audience as it uses web browsers and web technology to perform some functionality over the Internet. It’s mainly used by business persons, retail salespersons, wikis developers, messaging service developers, and many more.
How will this technology help you in career growth?
This technology provides good career growth. Getting a master’s in this field requires more daily practice and flexibility with all web trends. This technology is the fastest growing industry in today’s world, so you need to learn new technologies, and it should have to be more dynamic.
So far, we have studied how it works, how it will help customers in the present industry, its advantages, and many more. It provides the ability to increase the efficiency of business by reducing costs. Common applications such as Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL, online retail sales, online forms, shopping carts, word processors, spreadsheets, video, and photo editing can work across multiple platforms and are easily accessible from anywhere.
This has been a guide to What is web applications? Here we discussed Web Applications’ basic concept, scope, career growth, skills, and advantages. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –