Introduction to WAP
Wireless Application Protocol or WAP helps in accessing wireless data through all the communication networks. It is a communication protocol and helps maintain the connection of mobile devices in the network and the internet. Information can be accessed easily, and a web browser is provided for devices that use the WAP network. Only if the devices are connected with Wi-Fi, WAP provides information about the devices. Connectivity is provided faster in the devices, and they follow the protocol of WAP. Internet services are provided in the devices with the help of WAP. WAP also helps to cover the network at larger distances.
Why do we use WAP?
A set of communication protocols is given so that all the communication made within the device or between devices follows a standardized procedure. This communication method includes any wireless devices, radio devices, emails, messages, and any kind of communication. A protocol helps to manage the clutter of all the messages and make the user follow the way as all do it. Manufacturers were using different technologies that are connected through a single protocol called WAP now. WAP can be created in any operating system, and the working is easy to understand by all the devices. In order to work with mobile devices, WAP provides CSS so that screen sizes can be made into that of mobile size. Page layout and the screen size are controlled by CSS, and hence the developers need not worry about resizing the screens.
A protocol called datagram is the center of the WAP and helps in the systems’ internet models. Operations of mobile networks and the systems are made independent due to datagram protocol. Wireless gateways are easily accessed in this layer, so that network issues and global networks are managed in the gateways. WAP is known for cross-platform technology so that HTML and HTTP are combined in the protocol along with bandwidth devices and pagers in the network. Wireless phones and digital devices are integrated into the system so that they can communicate well without any hindrance in communication. Also, there are devices that view only those pages allowed in the protocol, maybe a plain page or black and white pages in the system.
What is Important in WAP?
- There are four layers in this that make the communication between devices easier. They are described below.
- Wireless Application Environment is the topmost layer in WAP which has different applications in its environment. This layer plays a major role in the communication of devices with web servers of other devices or of the same device. The architecture is simple and is based on WWW architecture.
- Wireless Session Layer helps to maintain a healthy relationship between the sessions within the devices where communication is held. The sessions’ high performance is carried out in this layer, and the session details are stored inside. The client and server communicate through this layer as it provides the session protocol here. The interaction between the communicating systems are properly maintained in this layer, and they are synchronized well.
- Wireless Transport Layer Security helps in the security of the entire WAP protocol. Privacy is provided to the communication carried out between the devices, and data integrity is promised in the layers. Also, authentication is provided only to authorized people, and this helps to prevent malicious attacks to the layers in WAP. Transport of the data is protected, and the bandwidth is made low in some communication to provide authentication of data in the devices.
- Wireless Transport Layer is the last layer in WAP that provides data continuously to the topmost layers and has a proper interface to all the layers in WAP. All the features are taken from other layers, yet they make their working internal to themselves. All the applications of this layer can be used in other layers as well.
- Tool testing is provided in WAP with the help of Open Mobile Alliance that is specified for the development and support of all the mobile devices. Since the testing is specific for WAP, there are many internal applications that make the system to its fuller capacity.
Advantages of WAP
- It is portable, as its name itself suggests, as a wireless application. Any mobile devices or remote network can make use of it. Due to the communication protocol, it is easy to use, and the protocols are made known to anyone who uses the system. All the layers are interconnected, and communication is made easy.
- All the services are easily accessed, and it is faster due to the availability of WAP in all the layers. It is made it convenient to make use of the layers in the system and know the transferring path of the data.
- WAP provides various services, and the users of WAP can access all these services. This makes the communication reliable and the data transferring authenticated in the system. In the market, this makes WAP outstanding of all the services and makes them fuller use.
- Any applications can be made into personalized services in the system as it provides access to all the services. Also, it appears in various forms such as pagers, digital devices, phones, any handheld devices, and this makes the system easily portable from one place to another.
- User experience is brought to a different level by making it use all the characteristics of the WAP environment in the system. Bandwidth connection is provided without interruption. Devices are provided with CSS, memory, and processing power up to the user’s use for a limited range, and the battery can be used without recharging it to a limited level.
WAP is used at a lower cost based on the applications needed in the networking system. Software kits can be developed with WAP. Some companies have older devices that make the use of WAP into existence with its higher range of advantages.
This is a guide to What is WAP. Here we discuss an introduction to Wap and its uses, importance, advantages, and disadvantages in detail. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –