Introduction to System Design
The process of defining a system’s entire requirements, such as the architecture, modules, interface, and design, is called system design. We can say that system design ranges from discussing about the system requirements to product development. System development creates or alters the system so that the processes, practices and methodologies are changed to develop the system. Therefore, a systematic approach is needed to manage the system requirements and design methodology. It can be classified as logical design and physical design. The logical design represents the abstract dataflow, while the physical design represents the system’s input and output processes.
Understanding System Design
This approach took before the 2nd world war when the engineers required a system to solve complex issues and communication problems. The required platform standardizes their work into a framework with accurate and precise methods and information.
Basically, this is the term that connects the void between the issues of the subject and the existing system in a practical and logical way. Some of the elements are as followed –
- Design and redesign of business processes.
- Defining Data Models.
- Defining the events and their procedure.
- Designing of Applications.
- Designing how the different services, processes, events, and data will work together.
- Defining how the system will be secured
- Defining the technologies that will be used, such as applications, components, toolsets, APIs, and libraries.
How does System Design make working so easy?
It specializes in developing great artwork by saving time and effort. This helps in creating plans for information systems. It is used to solve internal problems, boost efficiency and broadcast opportunities. It also is the foundation of any business. It contributes a lot to successfully achieving the required results and makes working easier and simpler.
Top System Design Companies
Some of the Top companies that use using this technique –
- Design Better Co. Design System Handbook
- Brad Frost and Atomic Design
- Airbnb Design Language System Series
- Shopify Polaris
- Salesforce Lightning
The various subsets of System Design
The different subsets of this are –
1. Logical Design
It is the abstract representation of the data flow, inputs, and outputs of the system. It explains the sources, destinations, data stores, and data flows all in a process that satisfies the user needs. The logical design of a system is prepared while keeping the level of detail that virtually tells the information flow and out of the system in mind. The data flow and E-R diagrams are used, respectively.
2. Physical Design
The process of actual input and output of the system is related to physical design. The main criteria of physical design are to manage how the data is verified, processed, and displayed as a result. It basically revolves around the interface design, process design, and data design of the user.
3. Architectural Design
It is also called the high level of design that emphasizes the design of system architecture. It explains the nature and root of the system.
4. Detailed Design
It follows the Architectural Design and emphasizes the development of every subject.
What can you do with System Design?
- It has proved wonders to many companies and industries. This can reduce system downtime, cut costs and speed up the maintenance work.
- It helps in the training of new users to easily understand the flow of the system.
- It helps the user to solve the issues such as troubleshooting and aids the manager to perform better final decisions of the organization system.
Working with System Design
Working with this is easy, and it speeds up the process of creating applications. There are four main types of documentation that follow with System Design-
1. Program Documentation: It explains the inputs, outputs, and processing logic for all the program courses.
2. System Documentation: It describes the system functions and the way they are implemented.
3. Operations Documentation: It explains the program, system analyst, programmer, and system identification.
4. User Documentation: It includes steps and information to the users who will communicate with the system.
Advantages of System Design
Some of the major pros of using this are-
- It reduces the cost of designing.
- It eliminates inconsistencies.
- It speeds up the process.
- It makes the life of the customer easier and simpler.
- It provides a lot of resources.
Required System Design skills
Before beginning to learn this, users should have a good knowledge of product development and data processing. A brief understanding of interfaces, modules, and architecture will be an add-on for users who want to learn System Designing.
Why should we use System Design?
While designing systems, there are three primary uses that should be taken into mind, and those are-
It means the ability of a system to endure faults or problems to prevent failures or complete shutdowns. The beauty and advantage of this are to build fault-tolerant systems using fault intolerant parts.
Scalability is the system’s ability to perform and give a reasonable performance in the situation of heavy load. Performance can be thought of as the system’s operating traits when the system’s load parameter is changed. These are used to overcome these problems and reduce the efforts of the user.
This means writing code that simply is understood and upgraded by someone who is not the original author of the code. Good Code should have clean APIs and interfaces to construct new functionalities every time.
The system analysis and design benefit business whether used for specific projects or across the full scope of business operations worldwide. Today, more and more businesses must find ways to compete globally. System analysis and design are important in situations where the involvement of a large information system is needed. Thus, the scope is very much bright and in demand.
Who is the right audience for learning System Design technologies?
Well, it is a powerful technique and can be learned by anyone who is keen to study product development and data management. From a beginner to an experienced anyone can learn this technology.
How will this technology help you in career growth?
By learning this, the user not only learns the tools and techniques of designing interfaces and modules for companies and businesses. But also, he acquires the skills that will help him in boosting his career and future opportunities. This technology helps a business identify both opportunities and problems by analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the company.
The business of business is to make money and profit. The advantage of using this is to improve business quality with increased profits. A functional system’s benefit consists of maximum levels of quality control and lower production cost by processing the product and data processing. It is a necessary requirement in any industry and company.
This has been a guide to What is System Design. Here we discussed the working advantages of System Design and top companies that implement this technology. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –
- System Design Interview Questions
- Software Testing Methodologies
- What is Automated Testing?
- Selenium Load Testing