Updated April 19, 2023
Introduction to Remote Access
Remote access is a method to establish a connection over the server, and it extends the ability to access the network. It allows the user to manage and view the system to fix any faults or requirements when it is not able to connect physically. In other terms, the user can access the system with an internet connection or telecommunication method. IT employees and company chiefs who are traveling to a different location should need to access the computer networks by using remote access control.
How does Remote Access work?
- Remote access is generally obtained with the combined working of hardware and software with robust network connectivity. For example, standard remote access is available before the widespread internet connection. It is attained by terminal simulation which is managed using a hardware modem linked to a telephonic network. The secured remote access is provided by secure software called VPN. It is used to communicate all the hosts by a wired interface network or via internet connection or means of Wi-Fi network interface. The VPN is used to link every individual network to the allotted private networks.
- By using remote access, the VPN has the capability of connecting every private network to the VPN server. When the user is associated with a network through VPN, then the particular software encrypts the traffic before it reaches the destination over the internet. The gateway or VPN server is situated at every target network and then decrypted the information and then transmit to the concerned host located in the private network. A computer should possess the software which should enable it to associate the system which is hosted in remote access service of the organization. If the user wants to interact with another system in the host location, he can log in to the IP of the system in the host location and can check all the status which is displayed in the window of the desktop of the targeted computer.
- The organization can use remote desktop to allow the user to link the network and applications remotely. The application software that is used in remote desktop is integrated into the operating system of the remote host. It allows the applications to execute in a remote method on a network server which is viewed temporarily at the remote establishment of the remote connection. The user can access safely on the cloud applications from any location on any device by using different authentication techniques that include remote sign on for one time that enables the user secure and easy control to the application without any need of VPN configuration or modification of firewall strategies.
How to Control your Remote Access?
The organization can work on authentication of multifactor attributes to check the identity of users which combines the multiple credentials of a single person who has the chance to build a unique password.
There are a lot of techniques applied in remote access management which are listed below:
1. Physical Line
It is the direct remote access which is integrated as the direct line from the organization’s LAN to the employee laptop or desktop. The same line is also used to link both the home and the company’s LAN. The direct connection offers robust speed, but the maintenance and cost are expensive. The LAN cable leads to an improper connection, which is prone to data loss and loose connection that affects productivity. So the damage causes the failure of cables because of the external conditions such as construction work and weather conditions.
The other method which is established on the internet to link to the remote sites by using a virtual private network. It uses tunnel methods and encryption to manage and access the network of the company. It is perfectly ideal for small-scale industries. But here the limitations are complex configurations, restrictions in the operating system and need of additional software to provide a secure connection.
3. Deployment of Microsoft RDS
The performance of controlled remote access which operates Microsoft remote desktop service and the client software should be accessible on a remote server and load machine. The solution like Citrix XenApp and Citrix virtual Apps, remote application server, VMware that improves the RDS allows the use of a web browser to give clientless access. But here limitations are its limited support on the operating system of guest, the installation, configuration and updating it is difficult and is prone to limited load balancing actionality.
4. Other Techniques
The other techniques to enable remote access control is made by integrated service digital network, digital subscriber line, wireless modem. But it requires extra software to get a strong firewall, and in ISDN the speed is very slow, which requires an additional model to boost up the connection. The physical point to point routing is provided in DSL to connect to the user.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Given below are the advantages and disadvantages of Remote Access:
- Disaster recovery is easily performed to retrieve the lost documents and files which are stored in a secured data center. So in remote desktop connection, there is no need for anxiety to theft or data.
- The connections to check the correspondence should be secured and safe to prevent hacking. It has the freedom to work from any location.
- It is easy to move with a desktop or laptop despite any location and time.
- The limitation of the remote desktop service is a requirement of powerful RDS and persistent monitoring of remote desktop. Because the remote desktop service should have the centralized RDS and hence the ability of RDS should be powerful enough to withstand the functional load of the several computer systems.
- The network should be reliable and adjusted to fit into the properly aligned network. The admin should be skilled to fix the issues risen in the network.
- RDS is cost-effective, which cut downs the purchase of some expensive software to all the individual desktop. All the users can share one desktop which owns all the expensive IT system software package.
This is a guide to What is Remote Access? Here we discuss the introduction, working, how to control your remote access? Advantages and disadvantages. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –