Difference between SVG vs Canvas
SVG is abbreviated as Scalable Vector Graphics. It is a vector-based graphics and used the XML based format for graphics providing the support for interaction. SVG images are way better than bitmap images. In SVG images, the vector image is composed of a fixed set of shapes and while scaling these images it preserves the shape of the image. Canvas is an HTML element, which is used to draw graphics on the web page. It is referred to as a bitmap with an immediate mode graphics application programming interface. For drawing on it. The element canvas is used as a container for graphics. In Canvas, we need the script to draw the graphics.
Let us study much more about the SVG vs Canvas in detail:
- SVG was developed by W3C. It was initially released in the year 2001. The file extensions are .svg and .svgz. Its internet media type is image/svg+xml and uniform type identifier is public.svg-image. The bitmap image is composed of a fixed set of pixels and while scaling the bitmap it will show us the pixel of the image. SVG images can be generated with the help of vector graphics editor like Inkscape, adobe illustrator, adobe flash, etc.
- The SVG usage on the web was limited because of the lack of support for the vector images in browsers like Internet Explorer. Konqueror was the first browser to support SVG images in the year 2004. After that slowly Google announced its support to vector images on the web content. SVG has support now for the native browser, plugin, and mobile browsers as well.
- Canvas is very interactive and it responds to user interaction with any touch events, keywords, and mouse. Canvas allows the option of saving images .png or .jpeg. Canvas is very efficient in dealing with multiple elements at a time and the object the draw on the canvas can be animated.
- Canvas is mainly dependent on resolutions and it has complex visualizations because of which it sometimes can be slow for drawing large areas. There are several strategies available to draw different shapes like paths, boxes, circles, text and adding the images.
Head To Head Comparison Between SVG vs Canvas (Infographics)
Below is the top 6 difference between SVG vs Canvas:
Key Differences between SVG vs Canvas
Both SVG vs Canvas are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between SVG vs Canvas:
- SVG does not depend on the resolution, means it is resolution independent. If we enlarge the image, it will not lose its shape. Canvas is resolution dependent. If the image is enlarged, it will start reflecting the pixels of the image.
- SVG refers as shape based whereas Canvas refers as pixel based.
- SVG is best suited for the applications with large rendering areas like google maps. Canvas has poor text rendering capabilities.
- SVG becomes slow rendering if it is complex because anything that uses the Document object model (DOM) at great extent will become slow. Canvas provides the high-performance element best suited for rendering faster graphics like image editing, an application that requires pixel manipulation.
- SVG refers as powerful in a browser as it is vector based and which provides a high-quality experience and it can be paired with multimedia, audio and videos as well. Canvas is mainly powered in drawing the shapes, graphs and complex photo compositions.
- SVG can be modified through script and CSS. Canvas can be modified through script only.
- SVG images cannot be saved in other formats. In Canvas, you can save the resulting images in .png and .jpg format.
- SVG is mainly recommended for use in full-screen user interfaces. Canvas is not being recommended for large screens.
- The Size of a file for SVG can grow faster if the object has a large number of small elements. For canvas images the size of file not increased much.
- SVG is manly better for an application which is having fewer elements or items. Canvas is mainly better for thousands of objects and careful manipulation.
- SVG graphics are mainly developed using the mathematical functions and formulas that requires fewer data to be stored in the source file. In Canvas, to draw the graphics there are many strategies to develop.
- In SVG, the event model or user interaction is abstracted. For Canvas, the event model or user interaction is granular.
- SVG provides the better scalability as it can be printed with high quality at any resolution. Canvas provides the poor scalability as it is not suitable for printing higher resolution.
- SVG provides better performance with a larger surface or a smaller number of objects. Canvas provides better performance with a smaller surface or a large number of objects.
- The SVG syntax is easy to understand but it is impossible to read the graphics object. Canvas syntax is very simple and easy to read.
SVG vs Canvas Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between SVG vs Canvas.
|The basis of comparison Between SVG vs Canvas||
|Definition||It is an XML based vector image format for interactivity.||It is an element in HTML to draw graphics on web pages.|
|Format||It uses vector image format.||It uses the bitmap image format.|
|Flexible||SVGs are more flexible as we can expand the size beyond its natural||Canvas images are not that flexible.|
|Event Handlers||It provides any support for event handlers.||It does not provide the support for event handlers.|
|Gaming||It does not suit for any gaming application.||These are well suited for gaming applications|
|Program||SVG refers to draw the program.||Canvas refers to paint the program.|
Conclusion – SVG vs Canvas
SVG vs Canvas both are used for creating or developing the images and shapes. Both SVG vs Canvas are being used by the developers to solve their purpose according to the requirements like SVG is not used for creating the dynamic applications like gaming and canvas is not used for its poor rendering text and lack of animation. Both SVG vs Canvas are used for creating rich graphics on the web but they are fundamentally different.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between SVG vs Canvas. Here we also discuss the SVG vs Canvas key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more
- Spring vs Struts
- HTML vs HTML5
- HTML vs PHP
- Capex vs Opex: What are the Differences
All in One Software Development Bundle (600+ Courses, 50+ projects)
4.6 (3,144 ratings)
600+ Online Courses
Python Certification Course
Become a Complete iOS Developer
Programming Languages Courses