Sponge Tool in Photoshop
- Photoshop is an excellent software used for multiple images and video editing purposes with all finest tools with it, today we are going to see the use of Sponge tool in Photoshop for editing images in multiple reasons its one of the effective tool used by artists especially to increase and decrease the saturation at particular portions of the images to give the depth or lighting look and feel the existing portions of the image. Photographers, animation artists, texture artists, and others use this option in their process of work. Repeated using sponge movement on the same area lightens the color on saturating mode and darkness the color on de-saturate mode, so the number of reputation depends on the color we need on the image accordingly.
- Slight color adjustments, gradual decrease or increase in color can be done by sponge tool. Remove color can also be done when necessary as per the project. It attribution configurations such as flow helps in depositing the perfect ration of the color on to the image, airbrush helps in stimulating traditional techniques (spreads color equally) of color equally on the image and vibrancy help in depositing solid colors into pixels and avoids share color pixels between saturated and de-saturated pixels leads to smooth color transaction on the image which makes image look visually good without any sharing color pixels. We can achieve high saturation and low saturation value of image colors using the sponge tool on Photoshop. Many artists and photographers encourage to use this to save time while working and to achieve a good look and feel to the image.
How to use the Sponge Tool?
- Once Photoshop and select sponge tool from tools menu which enables all brushes from the menu bar and are ready to use brushes shape, orientation, thickness, and color can be configured there. We can configure the mode of the brush where to saturate or de-saturate the colors on the image taken below are the example for each to know the difference. We can see if we use saturate mode the existing color on the image becomes lighter and if we use de-saturate mode the color becomes darker it also depends on the number of reputations of sponge done on the image. The sponge must be moved only to the required portion of the image to maintain this many users select the portion using different selection tools and then they move sponge tool on the selected portion is the best practice which avoids to spread the color or don’t cause pixilation. The good quality edits can be performed using this trick on client images.
- If we don’t want to modify the original layer we can create the mask and work on it using sponge tool. There are few more properties such as Flow which helps in maintaining the opacity of color deposition on the image set the Value and use sponge accordingly, Airbrush must always be active it spreads the color equality around the portion of sponge moved if airbrush is off solid color dumping can happen which can affect the quality of the image after editing Vibrancy must also be active while working which avoids the pixilation spreading between different modes like saturation and de-saturation when they change where close to each other. Overall sponge tool has its best users from Photography, Animation, VFX making, Graphic designers and many more.
Steps with screenshots
- The sponge tool is used to add different saturation levels to image using a mask or on the existing image based on needs. The below is the step by step tools which helps in configuring the sponge tool before using each attribution has it the importance of working, below is one of the examples of using different saturation on sponge tool respectively. The number of reputations of sponge on the same area the depth of color keeps on changing darker if de-saturates mode or lighter id saturated mode.
Step 1) First open photoshop load the image which we are going to increase or decrease the saturation and select sponge tool which is located in tools menu hotkey to access them is “O”. Once after doing this, we can see all properties such as brush, mode, flow, airbrush, and vibrancy get activated on below to menu bar.
Step 2) All the brushes get enabled we can use the most suitable brush for our needs of the edit. With even adjustable properties as dimension and hardness.
Step 3) Mode has a drop-down list with Saturate and Desaturate options in it which helps in increasing and decreasing the saturation levels on the image using a mask or directly on the image up to the selected portion.
Step 4) Flow is the adjustment value similar to the opacity of brush color to be dumped on to the layer.
Step 5) Airbrush option must always be active which helps in maintaining color spreading equally without overlapping all around unwanted areas. Improves the quality of edits made.
Step 6) Vibrancy maintains the difference between saturation and De-saturation pixels of the image. The difference between mode will be shown clearly by enriching image quality needs.
Step 7) Brushes panel is also available for more needs if required we can make color adjustments, other internal properties for image enhancements and can make sponge edits to look natural.
4.9 (3,121 ratings)
- Sponge tools help in adding effects on the image for saturation, de-saturation, enlightening, blurring and many more within the picture and using different mask layers to save edits. Practice on multiple patterns and images which make to understand the real visual feel of depth which is given to image using tool. Photographer, 2D and 3D vector based and Photoshop graphic can use this option to get visual richness to the images in their projects.
- Beginners and experience can compare their tricks using the sponge tool which saves time and process of many other options for the same needs. Visiting cards, greeting cards, texturing artists and there is many other professional technical solution using sponge tools in Photoshop.
This has been a guide to Sponge Tool in Photoshop. Here we discussed how to use Sponge Tool in Photoshop and its Steps with Screenshots. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –