What is Scrum JIRA?
Scrum JIRA/JIRA is a project tracking software created for implementing the agile scrum project management. JIRA supports the scrum or Kanban project management models which are used to create and assign activities in a scrum sprint. JIRA was developed to track and monitor the bugs and errors during the software development life cycle. In scrum agile methodology, JIRA helps to create scrum boards and to manage the created scrum boards. It is also resourceful as a ticketing tool to create and enlist the issue faced during software development and allows categorical issues for efficient issue tracking and resolution. The JIRA dashboards comprise of features and functionalities like workflow, screens, custom fields, etc. for making the scrum management easy and organized. It is used by the software development scrum team members as a tool for organizing, monitoring and implementing the improvement actions in each sprit for creating an improved and enhanced version of the software until the software/product becomes error-free and meets the client’s expectation. Jira comprises of JIRA schemes which allow configuring every aspect of software development including:
- Workflows – the workflows for the different processes involved in software development. A workflow is nothing but a combination of status and transitions of the processes during the software development life cycle.
- Issue Types – Different issues faced during the software development arising in the scrum have been categorized into issue types so it becomes easy to identify the issue.
- Custom Fields – New fields or attributes can be created for an issue created like name, description, component, etc.
- Screens – JIRA screen is the display field where all the fields of an issue are displayed whenever an issue is created.
- Field Configuration – Different fields of an issue like the type of issue, the priority of the issue, resolved or open, etc. can be configured and checked in Scrum JIRA.
- Notification – JIRA gives notification for every change and update made during the software development lifecycle.
- Permissions – It prevents unnecessary actions performed by users by limiting the permissions granted to the users. JIRA admin has the right to manage the user’s permission.
Activities of Scrum JIRA
Below are the activities supported by scrum JIRA:
- Product Backlog creation – The requirements also called the user stories are clustered together when all the team members have agreed upon the created requirement list which helps to study the product backlog.
- Prioritizing the user stories – The different user stories are analyzed and prioritized as per their importance to the business and are ranked from high priority to low priority.
- After the product backlog is created and the user stories are prioritized, the scrum team moves forward in the direction of sprint planning consisting of sprints that lasts for 3-4 weeks.
- A scrum board is maintained which serves the purpose of documentation of the activities going on during the software development lifecycle to track the project progress and avoid any chaos or ambiguity among the team members.
Features of Scrum JIRA
Significant features of Scrum JIRA:
- Scrum boards – JIRA facilitates and allows the user to create and manage the scrum boards enlisting the activities and issues of either the same project or multiple projects. These scrum boards help the user to track and monitor the progress of the project. The scrum boards are of two types in JIRA which help to plan and work the different issues in a synchronized manner. The two types of scrum boards let you know what work is to be done and what the team members are going to do.
- Configuring the scrum boards – Once the proper scrum board types have been selected then the various requirements for the scrum boards can be collected and categorized into plan mode and work mode. In the plan mode, the user stories are categorized into sprints and in the work mode, the overall progress of the project and the total time spent on the project are tracked to generate reports.
- Plan mode – Plan mode comprises of following steps:
- All the requirements known as the user stories are displayed and studied in the very first step of the plan mode.
- The menus on the left-hand side menu bar of the JIRA enables the user to display the issues and lets the user choose whether they want to display all the issues or certain specific issues. This is extremely helpful during the meetings.
- With the help of the plan mode, the issues or the user stories can be controlled or prioritized as per the business needs.
- After reviewing the user stories, the JIRA screen can be used to create the sprint to take further actions on the user stories.
- Work mode – The work mode tracks the overall progress of the project and the total time spent on the project to generate reports. It displays all the active sprints in the project and let’s track and execute the user stories clustered in the plan mode.
- Agile Reports – The scrum JIRA enables us to pull out agile reports and other custom reports related to the project and the software development cycle. There is an option named agile board and reports under the agile board option which lets the user fetch the desired report.
- Scrum Board management – The JIRA admin plays an important role in the scrum board management as the JIRA admin has got the right to set permission to users for configuring the scrum after its creation. The JIRA admin can give partial or full access to the scrum team members as per the requirement basis.
- JIRA is extremely beneficial when it comes to tracking the project progress and different issues during the project execution. Scrum JIRA believes in executing the work and achieving the product delivery rather than indulging a huge amount of time in documenting the stuff by facilitating the use of multiple scrum boards. In scrum agile methodology the focus is more on delivering the software or product and customer satisfaction rather than the documentation so JIRA emerges as an extremely resourceful software solution for managing the software development life cycle or any other project.
This is a guide to Scrum Jira. Here we discuss What are Scrum Jira and the activities supported by scrum JIRA along with the Significant Features. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more-