Updated May 30, 2023
Introduction to Jira Versions
The Jira versions are nothing but a set of advanced features, and fixing limitations or bugs is released together as a single package or release of the application or product. Identifying bugs in any version serves as a basis for enhancing the development of new features for the product. The company released the β (Beta) version for product testing and to gather feedback before the stable release of the version.
Different Jira Versions
As it is a project management and issue-tracking tool developed by Atlassian, it released the initial version of the product. Multiple versions have improved features of the Jira tool, but until now, version 8.5.1 is the one stable release. It is a java based license tool used in multiple platforms and operating systems, i.e., cross-platform. The initial versions are mainly used for only issue tracking in software development, but later it, is used in project management. There are multiple versions on the Jira tool, like 8.x.x series, 7.x.x series, and so on. We describe some advanced and older versions of the tool.
The examples are given below:
8.7. X Version
- Maintenance of GDPR: This version supports the general data protection policy for the real user of the tool, i.e. the admin has the power to store all data of employees and erase the personal data of employees who left the company.
- Support SQL 11: This version Jira tool supports SQL 11 for the database to the server.
- Support DataCenter Authentication: This version provides OpenID authentication to the user and supports the datacenter authentication to the JIRA tool user.
8.6. X Version
- Handles Version Control: It can handle each modified copy of older version files and copy them into the new Jira instance.
- Support JVM Code Check: It supports checking the developer’s code in cache memory and executes automatically as per the time entry.
- Provide Notification to Outlook: The company maps the response or notifications into the Outlook mail services in this version. Any task, issue, or work will be transparent to everyone.
- Users & Roles Made Easier: In this version, the users and roles section is added reasonably, i.e., adding a resource to a project or assigning a role to the resource will be easier or more noticeable.
- Support SQL 10: This version Jira tool supports SQL 10 for the database to the server.
- Search by Prefix & Suffix: The search with prefix or suffix name of a task or issue can be possible from this version.
- Provides Burnup chart & Edit Sprint: From this version, the Burnup chart (status of task pending) of the task generated, and the team to edit the sprint as per requirement. For this, it keeps the status report.
8.5. X Version
It is one of the stable releases of the Jira tool and an Enterprise edition.
- Managed by Mobile App: The team member can manage the tool through authenticated mobile devices from this version.
- Support Memory Management: It provides troubleshooting and supporting plugins for JVM garbage collection, i.e., to delete unwanted objects.
- Improving Performance: Compared to the previous version, it provides high performance, accessibility, and issue archive.
7.13. X Version
It is also an Enterprise edition of the Jira tool.
- Adopt Java version JDK8: As Oracle stops JDK updates, so Jira 7.13 tool will adopt OpenJDK8. It supports maintenance and security patches.
- Improving Performance: As the tool is utilized for performance and regression testing, it showcases a performance improvement compared to the previous version.
7.10. X Version
- Produce good GUI: In this version, the Jira tools look and feel changes, i.e., colors, pages, icons, etc., but the navigation remains the same.
- History of Projects: This version shows the previous project list to team members to improve the work culture and performance.
- Project List Refreshed: The team can refresh the project list or display the ongoing projects, introducing new projects and the project search bar.
- Performance Improvement: In this version, the performance of an issue or task, or project can be divided into multiple aspects like creating issues, adding comments, working on issues, checking project status, etc. It is case-sensitive and provides a Burndown chart.
- Team Workflow: It provides the status report of team workflow by mailing notifications via Outlook or internal conversation through Stride. It shows the full update regarding the project.
7.8. X Version
- Support Work Faster: From this version onwards, the quick search option will be added to the Jira tool, so we easily search any project or issue, or task by putting the full name or part of the name in the quick search box. It shows us the most relevant results so the work will be faster.
- Add new Language: This version adds the “Dutch” language to the Jira tool.
7.6. X Version
It is also an Enterprise edition of the Jira tool.
- Support Java JDK8: When the support from Oracle stops for JDK8, then the Jira tool adopts OpenJDK8 for maintenance and security updates for the tool. It will support both Jira with JDK8 or JRE8.
- Introduce Priority: From this version onwards, the JIRA tool introduces the concept of priority to the issue or task, or project. The workflow will move from one level to another, depending on the priority.
- Support Live Monitoring: This version of the Jira tool supports the live monitoring of the workflow or status of the project. It is real-time monitoring of the Jira tool to calculate the team’s efficiency.
- Support Extra Features: From this version, some features are added to the JIRA tool, like drag and drop, Issue movement between columns, better security, and performance issue.
This article briefly discusses the different versions of the Jira tool with some extreme features. There are so many versions of this tool, but I discuss some Enterprise versions. Now, the modified release of the tool is going on, but in the near future, some enterprise editions will be released with some new features.
This is a guide to Jira Versions. Here we discuss the introduction and the different versions of Jira, respectively. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –