Remove Hyperlinks in Excel (Table of Contents)
Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
We have observed that when we enter a URL or email id in Excel and hit enter, it automatically creates a hyperlink. Or whenever we copy and paste data from any website or webpage, it often contains a lot of hyperlinks. When we select the cell to contain a hyperlink, it automatically gets triggered and opens the link in a new browser window.
This is at times very annoying. In such cases, we need to remove these hyperlinks from the worksheet.
Although while copying the data from a webpage to Excel worksheet, we can remove the hyperlinks by using the Paste values command but in this case, we will lose the webpage formatting which might be useful for us.
How to Remove Hyperlinks in Excel?
This Remove hyperlink is very simple easy to use. Let us now see how to Remove Hyperlinks in Excel with the help of some examples.
Example #1 – Remove hyperlinks by using mouse shortcut
Let’s suppose we have given some email ids and URL:
We will follow below steps for removing these hyperlinks:
- Select the cell or all the cells which contain hyperlinks and Right click on the cursor. It will open a drop-down list as shown in below screenshot. Click on Remove Hyperlinks.
- It will remove all the hyperlinks in one go.
Example 2 – Remove hyperlinks by using Ribbon
We have given some email’s and URL.
- Select the cells containing hyperlinks or press CTRL+A for selecting the whole worksheet.
- Go to the HOME tab and Click on the Clear option under the Editing section. A drop-down list will open as shown in below screenshot.
- As we can see, here two options are available in the drop-down list:
- Clear Hyperlinks.
- Remove Hyperlinks
- If we click on “Clear Hyperlinks”, then a pink eraser icon will appear on a screen in the extreme upper left corner as shown in below screenshot.
- As it is clicked on this pink icon, it will ask for two options:
- Clear hyperlinks only.
- Clear hyperlinks and formats.
- Choose the option as per your requirement. Here I selected Clear Hyperlinks and Formats.
- By Clicking on Clear Hyperlinks and formats it removes hyperlinks as shown in below Screenshot.
- If we click on “Remove Hyperlinks” as shown in below screenshot, it will directly remove all hyperlinks exists on excel worksheet.
- By Clicking on Remove Hyperlinks it removes all the links as shown in below screenshots.
Example #3 – Remove Hyperlinks by Excel setting
Whenever we enter any URL/ email id in Excel, it automatically converts that to hyperlinks due to its pre-existing setting. We can change this setting by following below steps:
- Go to the FILE tab and Click on Options button in the left pane. It will open an Excel Options dialog box.
- Click on Proofing in the left pane.
- It will show you some options on the right side box. Click on the AutoCorrect Options button.
- It will open a dialog box as shown in below screenshot.
- Click on ‘ AutoFormat As You Type ‘ tab. It will show you some options as shown below:
- Uncheck the option “Internet and network paths with hyperlinks” and click on OK.
- Exit from the Excel Options dialog box by clicking on OK.
- Now if you enter any URL or email id in excel sheet, it won’t take it as a hyperlink.
Things to Remember
- As in the above article, we discussed three options to remove hyperlinks in an excel, hence we should think before opting the option.
- Like do we want to remove the formatting also with hyperlinks or only hyperlinks?
- The easiest option is the Mouse shortcut. It saves a lot of time and efforts.
This has been a guide to Remove Hyperlinks in Excel. Here we discuss its uses and how to use Remove Hyperlinks in Excel with excel examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in Excel.