Introduction to Pro tools shortcuts
Pro tools shortcuts are the combination of keyboard keys for performing a particular task in this software, and by using these short cut, we can save our time as well as increase working efficiency. Pro tools offer a number of shortcuts which works for basic to advance level of commands or options available in it and deals with them for making those command ease to access during working on any project, for example, you can use shortcuts for saving any project quickly, starting recording or stop recording in just pressing few keys of the keyboard, for importing audio tracks, creating groups and many other important commands involves in it. So let me tell you about them one by one.
Here in this article, I will divide these shortcuts into three sections to make them more understandable for you. These sections are for the Beginner level, intermediate level, and Advance level. So let us have a look at these sections in a very exciting manner.
Shortcuts for beginner level
When you start working with this software, these shortcuts help you for polishing your working skill and efficiency in this software and these shortcuts are as follows:
Note: use the Command key on Mac in place of the Ctrl key of Windows everywhere in the shortcut key.
- Save command is used for saving any project or work in this software, and you can press Ctrl + S or Command + S keys of the keyboard as its shortcuts key.
- To start recording or for punch in, press Ctrl + Spacebar of the keyboard, F12 (function key of the keyboard), or 3 (numeric key of the keyboard).
- For the stop recording or discard recording option, you can press the Ctrl + period (.) keys of the keyboard. One thing you should remember here is that discard recording is not undoable command.
- For setting track to Record Safe, you can press Ctrl + click on track record Enable button that means hold Ctrl key of the keyboard and then click on track record enable button on working window area for performing this command.
- By pressing Ctrl + Shift + I keys of the keyboard, you can quickly import any audio in this software.
- For opening the Fades dialog box for the selected clip, you can press the Ctrl + F keys of the keyboard.
- Ctrl + E keys of the keyboard will separate the selected region from the other regions.
- By pressing the Ctrl + G keys of the keyboard, you can create a group for selected elements.
- Ctrl + H keys will do Heal separation.
I think these some commands will work enough for a beginner to have a good start with this software. Now let us move to one step forward and discuss some other shortcuts which deal with the next level of commands and features.
Shortcuts for intermediate level
Once you have command on beginners’ shortcut, then you will need these shortcuts your enhancing your skill, and these are as follows:
- For using zoom in horizontal you can press Ctrl + [ or Ctrl + ] as short cut key of it. Ctrl + [ will use for Zoom in and Ctrl + ] for zoom out.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + [ or Ctrl + Alt + ] for Amplitude Zoom option. Zoom in and Zoom out will work the same as a horizontal command.
- Increasing or decreasing the height of any lane in the Edit window, which has a cursor pointer on it, can do by pressing the Ctrl + Upward arrow key (for increasing) or Ctrl + Downward arrow (for decreasing) key of the keyboard.
- Pressing Ctrl + Alt + upward arrow key (for increasing) or Ctrl + Alt + downward arrow key(for decreasing) will increase or decrease the track height of all tracks which are in the edit window.
- Input only Monitoring for tracks in record or Auto input monitoring can do by pressing Alt + K keys of the keyboard.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + N keys of the keyboard for bringing up the New track dialog box in your work.
- Dropping a marker on the timeline section when you record or play anything can be done by pressing Enter key of the keyboard on the numeric keypad.
- Toggle Edit Window Modes can enable by pressing the F1 – F4 functional keys of the keyboard, or you can also press Alt + 1 to 4 numeric keys of the keyboard.
- Press F5 – F10 functional keys of the keyboard or go with Ctrl + 1 to 6 numeric keys of keyboard for Toggle Edit window tools.
- Consolidate Clip option can enable by pressing Alt + Shift + 3 keys of the keyboard.
Now let me take you through shortcuts command of Advance level to have knowledge about advanced features of this software for having efficient work output.
Shortcuts key for Advance level
- Shift + Alt + ] keys of keyboard enable Import session Data option on this software’s working window.
- Alt + A keys of the keyboard will reset the zoom option so that the entire song can fit on the screen.
- Open Tempo operations windows can open by pressing the Alt + 2 (numeric keypad button) keys of the keyboard.
- Ctrl + Alt + shift + B keys will work for Bounce Track option.
- Bounce to Disk can do by pressing Ctrl + Alt + B keys of the keyboard.
- For Half-speed playback, you can press the Shift + Spacebar keys of the keyboard.
- Half speed record can do by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar, or you can also press Shift + F12 functional keys of the keyboard.
These were all possible information about the shortcut keys of Pro tools software from a basic to advanced level of command. You can point out a number of shortcuts from here according to your requirement of work to make it smoother.
Conclusion – Pro tools shortcuts
We are sure now you have enough knowledge about different shortcut keys of this software, which can easily increase your working efficiency in this software’s work. You can take these shortcuts in your habit during work on any project of Pro tools so that they will become easy to use for you.
This is a guide to Pro tools shortcuts. Here we discuss the different shortcut keys of Pro tools that can easily increase your working efficiency in this software’s work. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –