What is PIA VPN?
Private Internet Access is a VPN company launched in 2010. The company has experienced tremendous growth, operating in over 77 countries. According to Forbes, PIA VPN is currently the best VPN provider in the market. PIA VPN offers valuable features that allow users to protect their personal information, access geo-restricted content, and bypass internet censorship. The best features of PIA VPN include multiple protocols, string encryption, and DNS leak protection.
Features Offered by PIA
- Split tunneling is a VPN feature that allows specific applications or web traffic to bypass the VPN tunnel and connect directly to the internet. In short, the feature allows users to use the VPN and local area network at the same time.
- It is a helpful feature if, for instance, you want to access a specific database on a regular, unsecured internet and use another browser privately.
- The spit tunneling feature in PIA VPN does not limit you to browsers only. Another app that you should exclude from the VPN is gaming apps since the VPN might slow them down.
- On the other hand, apps and websites that should always be in your VPN network include email or banking apps to protect your sensitive information.
- It is an advanced feature that allows PIA VPN users to access services and devices connected to the VPN remotely.
- It is an essential feature if you want to access a home network or office network from a different location.
- Users can enable port forwarding through the VPN client software.
- The software includes a port forwarding feature that allows users to specify the ports they want to forward and the internal IP address of the device to which they want to forward the traffic.
- A proxy is basically a server or program that acts as an intermediary between a user’s device and the internet.
- Using proxies, one can mask a user’s IP address, hide their browsing activity, and access blocked or restricted websites.
- Users of PIA VPN can use a proxy to connect to the internet, and from here, you can check the PIA VPN website for more details on how this feature works.
- When connected to the VPN via a proxy, your traffic will get directed through the proxy server before it reaches the internet.
- It could offer added security and privacy by making it harder for third parties to track the origin of your connection.
- PIA VPN can be a good option for anyone who does not want to see advertisements popping up when browsing the internet.
- The ad blocking feature blocks and removes adverts on websites, including YouTube, so that you won’t encounter any banners or pop ups anymore.
- It helps improve your browsing experience and reduce the amount of data you use.
- On top of that, the feature also blocks unwanted tracking and malware, providing a more secure browsing experience.
- The purpose of a kill switch is to protect a user’s privacy and security by preventing their internet traffic from being exposed if the VPN connection is lost or disconnected.
- VPNs always come with the kill switch feature, and this includes PIA.
- When the kill switch in PIA is active, it essentially blocks all outgoing network traffic, preventing your device from accessing the internet without the protection of a VPN.
- This feature ensures that your device is not accidentally accessing unencrypted networks, with the added protection of ensuring your real IP address is not exposed.
Website and Mobile App
- You can access PIA VPN services through various platforms, including websites and mobile apps for Android and iOS devices.
- The mobile app offers many of the same features as the website but is exclusive to mobile devices.
- The app allows users to quickly and easily connect to the VPN service and establish a secure, encrypted connection to the internet.
- It has various features, including server selection, encryption options, Ad and Tracker blocking, Automatic connection, and Multi-language support.
- A user-friendly interface makes it easier for users to connect to the VPN server and configure their VPN settings.
- PIA VPN has an easy-to-use interface, which is a great convenience for users regardless of how experienced they are in using a VPN.
- The interface lets users quickly switch between servers and view their connection status, including the current server, connection time, and data transmitted.
- Users can even monitor their connection and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.
- Besides the desktop and mobile versions, PIA VPN offers Chrome, Firefox, and Opera Mini extensions. The chrome extension is an add-on to the Chrome browser.
- The extension provides unique features not available in other VPNs, such as blocking access to the microphone, camera, and location from sites that do not ask permission first.
- It also disables the address and credit card autofill functions, which can prevent a user’s sensitive information from being stored in the browser.
- This feature is helpful for users who want to ensure that websites are not collecting their personal information without their knowledge.
- PIA VPN uses AES-256 encryption to encrypt users’ internet traffic.
- AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) is a widely-used and well-regarded encryption algorithm considered highly secure.
- When the data is encrypted, it transforms into unreadable characters that the intended recipient can only read with the use of a key.
- The company uses a unique key for each connection, making it much harder for anyone to intercept and read the data.
Private Internet Access is regarded as one of the most reliable VPNs today. The company is strongly committed to maintaining user privacy and security through robust encryption and strict no-logging policies. It is an easy-to-use software and is usable on multiple devices. Generally, the VPN is worth considering for anyone who wants to maintain their online privacy and security.
In this article, you have learned about PIA VPN. To know more about the topic, you can refer to these articles.