Introduction to Penetration Testing Open Source Tools
In order to detect security flaws in a network, server, or web application, there are many open-source penetration testing tools available. s These tools are very important because they help you to find “unknown vulnerabilities” which cause a security breach in software and networking applications. Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing (VAPT) tools target the device as if a hacker is targeting it within the network. The device has to be fixed if a security breach is possible.
List of various Open-Source Tools
So, here is a list of various open-source tools.
Netsparker is an efficient vulnerability scanner for web applications that can detect XSS, SQL Injection, and other vulnerabilities in web applications and web services automatically. It is available as an on-site solution and as a SAAS solution.
Features of Netsparker
- Precise identification of dead vulnerabilities with advanced Proof-Based Scanning Technology.
- Custom 404 error pages, URL rewrite rules, are automatically detected by the scanner.
- REST API for smooth integration with the SDLC, systems for monitoring bugs, etc.
- It is a highly configurable system as it Scans 1,000 web applications in 1 day.
It audits, authenticated, complex web apps, and generates management reports and compliance on a large range of network and web vulnerabilities, which also includes out-of-band vulnerabilities.
Features of Acunetix
- It scans all variants of XSS, SQL Injection, as well as 5000+ additional vulnerabilities.
- It can Detect more than 1400 WordPress core, plugin, and other vulnerabilities.
- It is Scalable and fast as it crawls thousands of pages without interruptions in less time.
- It provides Integration with popular WAFs.
- It is Available Onsite as well as a Cloud solution.
In order to detect and monitor SANS top 25 and OWASP top 10 based vulnerabilities, Indusface WAS provides manual penetration testing and automated scanning.
Features of Indusface
- Its Crawler scan single-page applications
- It has a Pause and Resumes functionality
- Automated Scanning and manual Penetration testing Reports can be seen on the same dashboard
- It provides Unlimited proof of concept requests as evidence of vulnerabilities identified
- Optional WAF integration to provide Zero False-positive instant virtual patchings.
Aircrack is a popular and easy-to-use wireless pen-testing tool. It scans and vulnerable wireless connections.
Features of Aircrack
- More cards or drivers are supported by Aircrack
- It is available on all OS
- It provides Support for Fragmentation attack as well as WEP dictionary attack
- Improved tracking speed
5. Nexpose Rapid 7
Nexpose Rapid 7 is one of the widely used and popular vulnerability management tools. It scans and detects vulnerabilities in real-time.
- It offers a Real-Time View of Risk
- It brings progressive and innovative approaches which help the user to secure from attacks.
Nessus is a scanner that is the most robust software vulnerabilities identifier. It provides a wide range in website scanning, sensitive data searches, compliance checks, IPs scans, etc., and helps to find the system’s “weak-spots”.
- It provides easy to use and interactive GUI
- It is an effective scanning engine
- It helps in Generating vulnerability status reports in different formats
- It has Fast activated and deactivate attack modules
- It provides pause and resumes a scan or an attack for the pen test
W3af is a popular Web Application Attack and Audit tool. It helps to detect and exploit more than 200 vulnerabilities in web applications such as XSS, SQL injection, DoS, DDoS, etc.
Features of W3af
- It has a user-friendly console and graphical interface.
- It provides security from Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), CRLF Injection, SEL Injection, and Xpath Injection.
- It also provides Command execution detection.
Wapiti is another widely used penetration testing tool. It provides auditing of the security of the web applications. Wapiti supports the Import of cookies and GET and POST HTTP methods for the vulnerability check.
Features of Wapiti
It helps in Generating vulnerability reports in different formats
- It can activate and deactivate attack modules quickly
- It Supports HTTP as well as HTTPS proxies
- It provides Automatic deletion of a parameter in URLs
- It offers activation and deactivation of SSL certificates verification
- User can Extract URLs from Flash SWF files with the help of Wapiti.
In this article, we have seen various open-source tools for penetration testing. You can choose any of them based on your requirements. We hope you will find this article helpful.
This is a guide to Penetration Testing Open Source Tools. Here we discuss the introduction and various Penetration Testing Open Source Tools respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –