Difference Between PAAS vs SAAS
In this article, we will see an outline of PAAS vs SAAS. The cloud computing model where a third-party provider provides both software and hardware tools is called PAAS (Platform as a Service). The tools are provided and used by developers for web development. This is also called the Application Platform as a Service. PAAS allows for high-level programming and less complex skills. SAAS is a software licensing and delivery model of software. This is also called on-demand software. Third-party providers give applications, and these applications are made available to customers on the internet. We can say that SAAS is an Application Service Provider (ASP).
Head to Head Comparison between PAAS vs SAAS (Infographics)
Below are the top 24 comparisons between PAAS and SAAS:
Key Differences Between PAAS vs SAAS
Let us discuss some key differences between PAAS and SAAS in the following points:
1. PAAS is the hardware and software tools available on the internet, whereas SAAS is the software available on the internet via a third-party provider.
2. Applications and Data are managed by users in PAAS, while in SAAS, all the requirements are managed by a third party.
3. PAAS users are mostly developers, whereas SAAS users need not be developers always.
4. Configuration and setup have to be done in PAAS. In SAAS, the contribution of the user is not needed to build the software.
5. The software or application needed has to be downloaded in SAAS, whereas in PAAS, the application is built by the user.
6. The chance of errors is very less in SAAS, and if anything happens, the service providers take care of the same. In PAAS, if any mistake happens, the user has to rectify the error and run the application.
7. The error messages appear directly as stack error traces in Clojure. In Scala, the error message directly points out to change the syntax or other errors.
8. PAAS is easy to run for developers with less system knowledge. Developers can run SAAS with no knowledge of system administration.
9. The cost of SAAS includes maintenance, security, and all the compliance, whereas, in PAAS, we have to pay for each service individually.
10. PAAS is hosted anywhere in the developer’s system, whereas SAAS is hosted in a remote server by the third-party provider.
11. The language constructs of Clojure perform very well compared with Scala due to transactional memory and persistent data structures.
12. PAAS does not rely upon any other service as its platform, while SAAS relies either on IAAS or PAAS for its platform service.
13. PAAS is not ready to use applications while SAAS comes from third party providers as read to use applications.
14. Applications have to be maintained in PAAS while the maintenance will be taken care of by a third party in SAAS.
15. Due to multiple services management, time-consuming is more in PAAS when compared with SAAS.
PAAS vs SAAS Comparison Table
The table below summarizes the comparisons between PAAS and SAAS:
|The user control over cloud resources is more when compared with SAAS.||The user control over the resources is very less when compared with PAAS.|
|The applications are not in the public cloud.||The applications are used in public clouds.|
|Hardware-level is abstracted as a platform in this cloud service.||Both hardware and software levels are abstracted in this cloud service.|
|The applications are customized and built on user preferences by the developer.||The applications cannot be customized. Only very few applications can be done so.|
|The servers, storage, and networking is either controlled by a developer or third-party provider.||A third-party provider controls the servers, storage, and networking.|
|PAAS provides a platform for software creation.||SAAS provides a platform with inbuilt software.|
|Development, testing, and deployment processes are fast and easy.||The deployment process is not so easy when compared with PAAS.|
|The platform is not available on a subscription basis.||The software is available for purchase on a subscription basis.|
|The applications do not always provide both web and mobile access.||The applications provide both web and mobile access.|
|The platform has to be downloaded, and the software has to be built.||The software is not always downloaded. Web browsers can be used to run the applications.|
|Customers are responsible for hardware and software updates.||Third-party providers take care of the hardware and software updates.|
|PAAS is considered to build software or hardware based on the developer.||SAAS is considered for consuming the software that the vendors already build.|
|The platform is available to build the entire application or group of software.||The software provided is either a single application or a group of software.|
|The developer provides the software applications.||The Internet is used to provide software applications.|
|The repository does not have any central location.||The repository is managed from a central location.|
|Integrations and interoperability are easily managed in PAAS.||Integrations are not easily managed in SAAS as different software has different operating patterns.|
|Vendors do not create any issue in the software creation or update.||Since vendors provide the service, they may make it easy for them to enter the software, and hence some operations may still be controlled by vendors.|
|Data is easily portable from any other application.||Data from other vendors are not able to port easily across the software.|
|Develops use the same standard, and hence it is easy to use.||Vendors have different standards that may be difficult to follow for the users.|
|PAAS does not limit the usage of the application due to its integration.||The integration difficulty can limit the use of SAAS by the developers.|
|Security provided by the application is more.||Security is less because vendors provide the application.|
|The applications can be customized by the developer based on his usage.||Though customizations are less, Software Development Kits are available to provide customization.|
|Service level agreements are not available.||Service level agreements should be checked properly.|
|Performance is good as it is based on the developer and his application.||Performance is not at par when compared with PAAS.|
Based on the usage of cloud service by the developer, we can select the service. If the developer has very little knowledge of system administration, then it is better to select SAAS. PAAS is for developers who know how to develop software and application. Security and performance should be a major concern always.
This is a guide to the top difference between PAAS vs SAAS. Here we also discuss the PAAS vs SAAS key differences with infographics and comparison table, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –