Updated May 24, 2023
Must Read Oracle Books
Oracle is among the most popular and essential database management systems that top-notch corporate houses and business industries use. Oracle is a highly versatile DBMS that can help manage the data for an organization with the highest level of security and promises seamless performance without any lag.
- Increased knowledge and skills in Oracle database administration and development.
- Improved understanding of Oracle database architecture and internal workings.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve common problems related to Oracle databases.
- It has increased productivity and efficiency in working with Oracle databases.
- Improved job prospects and career opportunities for individuals with Oracle database skills.
List of Top 10 Oracle Books
Those who are planning to master Oracle need the best reference books. Here, we list the top 10 Oracle Books available. Have a look:
Rating (out of 5)
|1||SQL, PL/SQL – The Programming Language of Oracle||Ivan Bayross||1 Dec 2010||Amazon: 4.2|
|2||Oracle SOA Suite 12c Handbook||Lucas Jellema||16 Oct 2015||Amazon: 4.7|
|3||SQL & PL / SQL for Oracle 11g Black Book||P.S. Deshpande||7 Jul 2011||Amazon: 4.3|
|4||Oracle 12c For Dummies||C Ruel||29 Nov 2013||Amazon: 4.4|
|5||Mastering Oracle SQL||Sanjay Mishra||17 Apr 2002||Amazon: 4.4|
|6||Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus||Lex deHaan||28 Mar 2006||Amazon: 4.6|
|7||Practical Oracle SQL||Kim Berg Hansen||20 Feb 2020||Amazon: 4.8|
|8||Oracle PL/SQL by Example||Benjamin Rosenzweig, Elena Rakhimov||1 Jan 2015||Amazon: 4.2|
|9||The Oracle 19c DBA’s Handbook||Tanveer A||28 Mar 2021||Amazon: 4.6|
|10||Oracle SQL and PL/SQL Handbook||John Adolph Palinski||8 Aug 2002||Amazon: 4.3|
Let us discuss the reviews and takeaways of the Oracle Books:-
Book #1: SQL, PL/SQL – The Programming Language of Oracle
Author: Ivan Bayross
This book on SQL and PL/SQL programming in Oracle is aimed at beginners who want to gain proficiency in these programming languages. PL/SQL is a control-oriented language that extends the functionality of SQL by enabling the creation of customized functions and procedures. One of the notable strengths of this book is its practical approach to SQL and PL/SQL programming. The author has included examples and case studies demonstrating how SQL and PL/SQL can solve real-world problems.
- Basics of SQL programming, including data types, operators, and functions
- Advanced SQL programming topics include subqueries, joins, and data manipulation.
- Basics of PL/SQL programming, including data types, control structures, and functions
- Advanced PL/SQL programming topics, such as cursors, exceptions, and triggers
- Practical SQL and PL/SQL programming applications in various domains, such as finance, inventory management, and human resources.
Book #2: Oracle SOA Suite 12c Handbook
Author: Lucas Jellema
With this volume, stay updated with all the latest updates and technical inclusions in PL/SQL and SQL. This updated version provides a rich set of additional informative materials to understand the latest ongoing process in Oracle DBMS. Also, this book features plenty of examples to gain better insight into the world of PL/SQL and SQL programming.
- Clearly explains the Oracle Business Rules that can help in the decision-making process.
- Explains the logic behind using Spring Component using Java
- Helps users to perform data analysis in real-time through the help of Event Processor
Book #3: SQL & PL / SQL for Oracle 11g Black Book
Author: P.S. Deshpande
Arguably the most concise volume on this list, the Black Book comes with all the updated information concerning Oracle 11g and the language suits, SQL, and PL/SQL. Filled with many examples, the Oracle 11g Black Book will undoubtedly provide a rich learning experience for the readers.
- Covers various SQL and PL/SQL programming topics, including data types, control structures, functions, procedures, and triggers.
- The instructions are easy to follow and include numerous examples and screenshots.
- A comprehensive reference section provides a quick guide to SQL and PL/SQL syntax, functions, and operators.
Book #4: Oracle 12c For Dummies
Author: C Ruel
“Oracle 12c For Dummies” by Chris Ruel is an introductory guide to Oracle Database 12c aimed at beginners. This volume is an excellent addition for Oracle enthusiasts, filled with examples and step-by-step procedures to crack codes. The book provides a complete introduction to Oracle Database 12c and covers various database administration and development topics.
- Detailed step-by-step process to install and set up Oracle 12C
- It makes it easier to maintain your database using the tricks mentioned in the book
- Guidance on recovering all your valuable data
Book #5: Mastering Oracle SQL
Author: Sanjay Mishra
Want to learn programming in Oracle through SQL? This book makes learning Oracle SQL and all its creative techniques to implement in different applications easier. The author designed the book for developers and database administrators who wish to enhance their skills in SQL programming in Oracle.
- SQL programming fundamentals, such as data types, operators, and functions
- Advanced SQL programming topics, such as subqueries, joins, and data manipulation
- Performance tuning techniques for SQL queries
- Best practices for database design and normalization
- Advanced topics, such as XML and spatial data in the Oracle database
Book #6: Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus
Author: Lex deHaan
“Mastering Oracle SQL and SQLPlus” is an excellent resource for developers and database administrators who want to take their SQL programming and database administration skills to the next level using SQLPlus.The book is well-structured, easy to follow, and provides numerous examples and case studies to help readers develop practical skills in SQL programming and SQL*Plus.
- Helps users learn SQL programming for Oracle from scratch
- Best practices for database design and normalization
- The book covers a wide range of SQLPlus commands and features and provides numerous examples of using them for SQL programming and database administration tasks.
Book #7: Practical Oracle SQL
Author: Kim Berg Hansen
Practical Oracle SQL” by Kim Berg Hansen is a comprehensive guide that covers more advanced topics such as creating and managing tables, indexes, and constraints, using joins to combine data from multiple tables, using subqueries and set operators, and working with dates and timestamps. It also covers data aggregation, grouping, sorting, and using functions to manipulate data.
- This book guides users with cross-row calculations using the Analytics Functions.
- Learn the concept of Sub-Query factoring to handle complex calculations
- The book provides practical tips and techniques for optimizing SQL performance, including indexing strategies and query tuning.
Book #8: Oracle PL/SQL by Example
Author: Benjamin Rosenzweig, Elena Rakhimov
The book introduces PL/SQL, including the language syntax and structure and the tools and utilities used to develop PL/SQL code. It then covers the basics of programming constructs such as variables, data types, loops, conditional statements, and exception handling. The book then delves into more advanced topics such as PL/SQL subprograms, cursors, triggers, and packages.
- It provides detailed explanations of each topic, along with practical examples and exercises to help reinforce learning.
- The book also covers how to use PL/SQL with SQL, including how to embed SQL statements in PL/SQL code and execute SQL queries and DML statements from within PL/SQL.
- This volume benefits those with minimal Oracle PL/SQL programming exposure.
Book #9: The Oracle 19c DBA’s Handbook
Author: Tanveer A
“The Oracle 19c DBA’s Handbook” by Tanveer A is a detailed guide for Oracle Database Administrators (DBAs) who want to learn the latest features and best practices for managing Oracle databases using the 19c version. Throughout the book, the author emphasizes best practices for database administration and guides how to implement them in an Oracle 19c environment. The book also includes quizzes and exercises to help DBAs reinforce their learning.
- Covers the core concepts of database administration, such as managing users, tablespaces, data files, and backups.
- Covers advanced topics such as performance tuning, high availability, disaster recovery, and security.
- It uses Oracle’s management tools, such as Oracle Enterprise Manager and SQL*Plus, to monitor and manage the database.
Book #10: Oracle SQL and PL/SQL Handbook
Author: John Adolph Palinski
This is a reference book for those who are into Oracle SQL. Using real-world examples, this book guides students to unleash the power of Oracle SQL. It also provides step-by-step guidance on mastering the PL/SQL programming language.
- Includes in detail Logical Data Models to understand the concept of RDBMS
- It provides many practical examples for students to learn
- Plenty of examples to understand different SQL techniques.
Get this book
Our Top 10 Oracle Books compilation aims to be helpful to you. For an extensive list in the category, EDUCBA recommends the following,