Updated June 28, 2023
Difference Between Nginx vs LiteSpeed
Nginx vs LiteSpeed is the most popular web server for developing web-based applications. Both web servers are essential and valuable when developing web-based applications because they provide robust security features and high performance. Both nginx and LiteSpeed will promise to deliver fast performance and high security. We find the best performance of any web server by using a benchmark test.
What is Nginx?
Nginx is a prevalent web server available as open-source software. The web server of nginx is designed to deliver stability and high performance. While utilizing a non-threaded and event-driven architecture will provide a computation of less CPU per the request served. Also, the Nginx web server significantly reduces clients’ wait time.
Nginx web server is speedy; it will outperform most benchmark rivals to test it frequently. Nginx server, out of the box, serves only static files; the Nginx web server consumes less memory than the Apache server. Also, the Nginx web server handles four requests per second. For that reason, the Nginx web server initially used the load balancer or reverse for the website, which was busy; as per codebase growth and software involved, nginx is entirely replacing Apache instead of just working with the web server.
What is LiteSpeed?
Lightspeed is the most popular and one of the fastest web servers which were available online. Using the unique architecture event-driven, this web server serves thousands of clients simultaneously with minimal resource consumption. Also, Litespeed is a speedy web server for processing the code of PHP. The Litespeed web server is 40 times more effective in using PHP code than the average Apache server. In a benchmark test, Litespeed is on top for delivering fast performance.
By using the architecture of Streamline, organizations are running Litespeed web servers by using double the maximum capacity of websites for the web servers, assuming that they are previously running the Apache server. For example, suppose we are a web hosting company using 30 servers and all the servers running Apache, and each server hosts almost 200 websites. So we can host max 6000 websites on all hosts, but using Litespeed will increase the double capacity of web hosting websites. So by using Litespeed, we can host almost 12000 websites on the same server.
Head-to-Head Comparison Between Nginx vs LiteSpeed (Infographics)
Below are the top 11 differences between Nginx vs LiteSpeed:
Key Difference Between Nginx vs LiteSpeed
Now let’s see the key differences between Nginx vs LiteSpeed:
- Both web server is used to host the websites.
- In nginx, we can enable the cache of fastcgi without installing any additional package. LiteSpeed contains the LS cache, so we cannot force installing the cache plugin. In Nginx, we have not required any cache plugin for installing any software. In LiteSpeed, we needed a plugin to install the additional software.
- The modern host, who was newer, is offering the nginx. The boutique host is offering the Litespeed. The ultramodern and trendy hosts are offering Nginx, most preferably. The ultramodern and trendy hosts are mainly offering LiteSpeed. Nginx web server is pronounced as engine-x. The Litespeed web server is abbreviated as the LSWS.
- Igor created the Nginx web server and released it in 2004. Nginx was created with the goal which was explicit of outperforming the server technology of Apache. Litespeed web servers have gained vastness compared to cut-like for the last few years among web hosting companies due to their efficiencies.
- The nginx implementation will perform less than the Litespeed in a benchmarking test. A benchmarking test Litespeed implementation will demonstrate higher performance than the hybrid nginx. The nginx web server will resource slower as compared to the Litespeed. The Litespeed will resource faster as compared to the nginx.
- Nginx web server contains less CPU and memory in the process of more robust scaling. The LiteSpeed web server has less CPU and memory in the process of stronger scaling. Therefore, using an Nginx web server, we can transfer files with less CPU and memory consumption.
- We can transfer files with less CPU and memory consumption using the LiteSpeed web server.
- Nginx web server will never reach the throughput of the TCP level when it contains a low bandwidth. The Litespeed web server will reach the throughput of the TCP level when it includes a low bandwidth. Therefore, the throughput of the nginx web server is less as compared to the Litespeed server. The throughput of the LiteSpeed web server is less than the nginx web server.
Nginx vs LiteSpeed Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Nginx vs LiteSpeed:
|1||In terms of the request, nginx is slower as compared to the Litespeed web server.||In terms of the request, Litespeed is faster as compared to the nginx web server.|
|2||Nginx is slower as compared to LiteSpeed in overall performance.||Litespeed is faster as compared to nginx in overall performance.|
|3||Nginx contains features of the fastcgi caching module.||Litespeed will come with a built-in caching module.|
|4||Nginx will support the mod security, which is open source.||Litespeed will support the mod security, which is open source.|
|5||Apache migration by using nginx is a very challenging task.||We can use Apache migration with LiteSpeed very well.|
|6||Nginx with Apache migration is not a good choice.||Litespeed with Apache migration is a good choice.|
|7||We can install the nginx web server by using source and binary.||We can install the LiteSpeed web server by using source and binary installation.|
|8||Nginx is less fast as compared to Litespeed.||Litespeed is faster as compared to nginx.|
|9||We can use nginx to host multiple websites on a single server.||We can use Litespeed to host multiple websites on a single server.|
|10||Nginx server is important while hosting web-based applications.||A Litespeed server is important while hosting web-based applications.|
|11||Nginx is essential to host the website.||Litespeed is essential for hosting multiple websites.|
Nginx and LiteSpeed web servers are essential and valuable at the time of developing web-based applications because they provide the feature of robust security and high performance. Moreover, Nginx and LiteSpeed will manage to outperform most of the benchmark rivals by testing them frequently.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Nginx vs LiteSpeed” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.