Introduction to Metadata Management Tools
The detailed information about the data itself is called metadata in the system. There are many tools used to manage the metadata and to make the information readily available to the users. These Metadata Management Tools help to know the data well and to manage them according to the users’ needs. Data analysis, data management, and data governance can be done easily with the tools as they manage better than the humans themselves. The tools are used to know the data well and to use them when they are asked for. Various rules are incorporated while using these tools.
Importance of Metadata Management Tools
- Any data, be it basic or metadata, should be managed properly to make future forecasts and to see the past performance. Only then, companies can make proper decisions to know the growth and to make necessary arrangements to analyze the business graph. The tools in metadata management help in this aspect.
- Most of the organizations should be GDPR compliant and hence it should know the origin and details of data. Metadata can give all the details regarding the data and can save time rather than toiling through other folders or registries.
- It is not possible always to know the user’s details while logging into the system. They cannot be monitored always and this creates problems when the system is attacked by malware or virus. Origin of the virus cannot be traced and now metadata comes to rescue in the form of login details and the time spent in the system and the links checked by them.
- All the data elements should be correlated to know the data well and this helps in collecting the linked elements to form insights about the data. Metadata management helps in performing these tasks well and to make them available whenever needed.
- If the data is not managed well, it will be difficult to trace data and to make them trustable as a useful source in the organization. Data by itself is critical and it becomes complicated if they are not managed well.
- Many tools available today are based on vendors and hence data management based on the user cannot be done. Time should be spent to check the data, discover the patterns, and to make them work whenever decisions have to be made on data.
- Metadata management makes the work of BI analysts easier than ever due to the volume of data they have to analyze from the huge data lake. They can filter the data easily from the tools and use them to create BI data reports. Without tools, the task is time-consuming and complicated with the amount of data.
- It is difficult to locate the data manually with keywords. Also, it is difficult to check data when a calculation is involved. With the proper management of tools, this task can be done creatively and productively.
- BI people can focus more on the data and the intelligence derived from the data can be used for the analysis. This helps data analysis in a faster manner.
Types of Metadata Management Tools
- Collibra tool is used mostly in data governance to handle huge data in the entire enterprise. All the data can collaborate so that the metadata can be managed well. Interactions with the data can be managed well and can be collaborated with most of the digital technologies such as artificial intelligence, internet of things. This makes data management easier and flexible.
- The Alation tool helps to automate data and to create a catalog so that the data can be managed easily. Data scientists find it easy to approach the tool and use it as data inventory in the system. It provides proper data warnings and collaborations so that the data can be managed and cataloged well.
- IBM has a data management tool called InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog that has different tools to create an environment for authoring the documents and to create a central catalog to manage the data. Filters and data relationships are known and managed in the sites to keep informed about the data developments. Different industries and data domains can be checked with the help of this tool.
- The Windows registry serves as an actual registry in real life where all the information is kept for future use or for past reference. Here, the data is stored and settings are kept so that it can be checked in between and modified if needed. This makes the system to work efficiently with all the data in hand.
- ASG enterprises have developed a tool called Enterprise Data Intelligence that provides a platform for almost all the data related stuff such as reference data, cataloging, governance, analysis, and data delivery. A portal is provided to access data and the vendor makes sure that the data is secure in the portal. System performance is monitored and workloads are automated so that performance is not affected in the system. Data compliance is monitored regularly so that users need not worry about the same.
- Through Informatica, different views of metadata are provided with proper display of relationships and the number of users. Technical and operational management of data can be done with this tool. All the data can be connected end-to-end and encrypted properly so that the data could be analyzed. Also, data relationships can be identified in the tool. The governance approach is flexible and analytics methods are used to manage the data.
- Oracle has different approaches to manage data such as Oracle Enterprise Metadata Management, Oracle Data Relationship Management, and Oracle Enterprise Data Management which is a cloud platform. The data requirements are identified and checked into the tool. They act as a repository to store data and also as a tool to integrate data.
Data is managed in all varieties with the tools so that the user can access it whenever needed. The entire lifecycle of the data can be monitored and known by anyone who accesses metadata. Analysis and governance can be done with data management and make the organization compliant to all GDPR laws.
This is a guide to Metadata Management Tools. Here we discuss the introduction to Metadata Management Tools along with importance in detail and types. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –