Difference Between Magento vs WooCommerce
The following article provides an outline on Magento vs WooCommerce. Magento is a powerful online e-Commerce platform used by both small businesses as well as big businesses. Magento offers both an Enterprise edition for large businesses which is a free edition and a free Community edition which is best for small businesses. Magento provides high scalability and it is enterprise focused. Magento provides 24/7 support through real team and even a dedicated account manager is assigned to optimise subscriber’s site. Magento provides high security through PA-DSS feature. The framework used to develop Magento is Zend and it is written in object oriented PHP. It was initially launched on 31 March 2008.
WooCommerce is an open source and flexible e-Commerce built on WordPress and it is an open-source. WooCommerce helps both medium as well as small businesses to build an online store and sell online. With the help of WooCommerce one can add e-Commerce functionality to ones WordPress website through which one can have an online store. It is very easy to turn WordPress website into fully functional e-Commerce website. WooCommerce is very easy to use and can be easily used by beginners. The installation of WooCommerce is very simple. WooCommerce is also written in PHP language. On 27 September 2011 it was released.
Head to Head Comparison Between Magento vs WooCommerce (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between Magento vs WooCommerce:
Key Differences Between Magento vs WooCommerce
Let us discuss some of the major key differences:
- Cost: WooCommerce is a free plugin that can be downloaded by anyone while Magento’s Community edition is only free but if one is looking for advance features in their website they have to go for Magento Enterprise Edition which is the paid premium version of Magento.
- Ease to Use: Magento is not for the beginners and it is not easy to install as the installer language of Magento is too developer centric hence one with great coding knowledge can set several crucial settings. While WooCommerce is very easy to install and many WooCommerce hosting suppliers will automatically installed along with wordpress.
- Payment Options: Cash on Delivery, Authorize.net, purchase order, PayPal, etc. payment methods are available in Magento by While in WooCommerce doesn’t have all major payment gateways by default, they are made available with the help of extensions or add-ons. WooCommerce by default have Stripe payments and PayPal payment gateways.
- Integrations and Extensions: Magento has an active community of freelancers, agencies and developers. Plenty paid as well as free third party extensions are available for Magento but the extensions available for WooCommerce are high in numbers as compared to Magento. The extensions available for WooCommerce are both free and paid in nature and all are third party extensions.
- Scaling: If one has a thought of increasing a business in future one has to invest for Magento Enterprise edition which will cost a huge amount of approximately $15,550 per year while in WooCommerce one can increase the size of business very easily by keeping a cost very low.
- Security: Magento is more secure as compared to WooCommerce because of the availability of wide variety of options of payment within Magento itself but for WooCommerce one has to rely on third party extensions.
Magento vs WooCommerce Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison:
|SEO Capabilities||Magento is known for its SEO extension and SEO capabilities which attract more amount of traffic to website.||WooCommerce lacks in the feature of SEO capabilities.|
|Costing||Magento has both free as well as paid editions. If one wants out of the box features on the website they have to go with Enterprise edition which is paid in nature.||WooCommerce is free and open source platform, so one can add out of the box features without paying any extra cost for them.|
|Technical Support||There is 24/7 technical support available by real team and dedicated account manager.||There is no technical support available in WooCommerce.|
|User Interface/ User Experience design||Magento provides great User Interface/ User Experience as the templates and themes are present by default in Magento.||WooCommerce provides basic User Interface/ User Experience for advance UI/UX one has to use third party extensions.|
|Coupon Codes and Discounts||One can create out of the box coupon codes and discounts because of the advance features available in Magento itself.||Only basic coupon codes and discounts can created in WooCommerce.|
|Multi-Language Support||Magento supports several languages which is a built-in feature of Magento.||To build a website with WooCommerce which supports multiple languages one have to buy WPML through which one can run WooCommerce in multiple currencies and multiple languages.|
|Extensions and Plugins||Magento’s extensions and plugins provide advance features to the website but one have to pay high cost for them.||WooCommerce’s extensions and plugins are both paid and free in nature hence one can add advance features to website at very less cost.|
|Scalability||Magento provides great out of the box features if one is looking for increasing the small business site to big business site, but this features come at a cost.||With the help of WooCommerce one can increase business site from small level to medium level at free of cost.|
|Data Analysis and Reporting||This is an out of the box feature available in Enterprise edition of Magento to keep a track of Customer wish lists, private sales, etc.||WooCommerce doesn’t have this feature within it.|
On the basis of above discussion, both Magento vs WooCommerce are unique in their own way. If one is looking for some great features at minimal cost, then WooCommerce is a platform to build the business website while if one is looking for out of the box features on the website and costing is not an issue then Magento would be a great platform to build a business website. Magento is most secure platform for the payment methods as compared to WooCommerce. Studies shows that WooCommerce based sites are more likely to be hacked as compared to Magento based sites. Magento is not for the beginners and is not easy to install while WooCommerce is very easy to use and can be easily installed by the beginners itself.
This is a guide to Magento vs WooCommerce. Here we discuss the Magento vs WooCommerce key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –