Difference Between JSON vs SOAP
Before taking a digging dip into the topic what is JSON and what is SOAP. Let’s discuss some introductions about JSON vs SOAP.
Build Structure of JSON:
- The format maintained in JSON is a collection of key/value pairs. In different languages, it is realized as an object, record, struct, dictionary, hash table, keyed list, or associative array.
- It could be an ordered list of values. In different languages, it is realized as an array, vector, list, or sequence.
Now coming to the part of data exchange between browsers and servers, we all know that data can only be text.
This is a very simple method by which we could send and receive the message and set up a communication between the server and browser with no complicated parsing and translations.
SOAP is an acronym stands for Simple Object Access Protocol. It is messaging protocol for exchanging information among computers and it is XML-based.
Following are the few characteristics of the SOAP protocol.
- SOAP is a communication protocol and it is designed to communicate over the Internet.
- SOAP can be used for XML messaging by extending HTTP.
- SOAP provides the mechanism for data transport via. Web services.
- SOAP has the ability to exchange complete documents or it can call a remote procedure.
- SOAP can even be used for message broadcasting.
- SOAP is language independent and it could run on any platform i.e. platform independent.
- With the SOAP, it is possible to define what information is sent and how.
- It has the ability to connect the client’s application to remote services and even can invoke remote methods.
As mentioned above that SOAP messages are platform and language independent because it is written entirely in XML format.
The basic structure of SOAP, being written in XML so it contains the following elements along with other elements:-
- Envelope− It is a mandatory element. It used to indicate the start and the end of the message.
- Header− It is an optional element. It may contain any number of optional attributes of the message used for processing, either at the middle point or at the end point.
- Body− It is also a mandatory element. It basically contains the XML data that need to be sent.
- Fault– It is an optional element. This element plays the role of throwing the error messages when the fault occurs which processing the messages.
Head To Head Comparison Between JSON vs SOAP (Infographics)
Below is the top 12 difference between JSON vs SOAP:
Key Difference between JSON vs SOAP
Both JSON vs SOAP are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between JSON vs SOAP:
- SOAP is a protocol which means a set of rule. JSON is an object.
- SOAP can use JSON for communication but the reverse is not at all possible.
- SOAP uses XML format whereas JSON uses a key-value pair.
- The error message can be declared with SOAP but the same is not possible with JSON.
- Comparison between JSON vs SOAP.
"GTerm": "XML language",
"Acronym": "SGML","Abbrev": "ISO 8879:1986",
"para": "A meta-markup language, used to create markup
languages such as DocBook.",
"GSeeAlso": ["GML", "XML"] },
<!DOCTYPE glossary PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
<GEntry ID="SGML" SortAs="SGML">
<GTerm> XML language </GTerm>
<para>A meta-markup language, used to create markuplanguages such as DocBook.</para><GSeeAlso OtherTerm="GML">
NOTE: The examples used above are taken from https://json.org.
JSON vs SOAP Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between JSON vs SOAP.
|It is an object.||It is a protocol.|
|Cannot communicate to servers or browsers by itself.||It has the ability to communicate to both browsers and servers.|
|It maintains a format of the key-value pair||It maintains an XML format|
|It cannot be. It is itself the message.||Can be used for messaging by extending HTTP.|
|It contains the message only.||It contains envelop, header, body, faults etc. Some of the elements are optional.|
|It lacks the ability as it is just an object.||Has the ability to connect to client’s application in the remote location.|
|It cannot be used.||It can be used for message broadcasting.|
|JSON cannot use SOAP.||SOAP can use JSON.|
|Lighter than SOAP.||Heavier as compared to JSON.|
|Language independent.||It is also language independent.|
|East to understand the format.||Technical knowledge is required to understand completely.|
Conclusion – JSON vs SOAP
So after the discussion, we can come to the conclusion that SOAP vs JSON both are very different things and it beyond Comparable. During our discussion, we have come across some basic facts about both JSON vs SOAP and we find that one is an object and the latter is a protocol. JSON uses key-value pair whereas SOAP uses XML. SOAP can use JSON but the reverse is not true. I have also tried to explain with examples and thus the above point proves that both JSON vs SOAP are two different things and are not comparable.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between JSON vs SOAP. Here we also discuss the JSON vs SOAP key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more