Introduction to Joomla Version
The following article provides an outline for the Joomla version. Joomla is a result of a dispute between the Mambo Steering Committee, founded in 2005. In 2000, a proprietary CMS (Content Management Systems) called Mambo was developed by an Australia – based company Miro. It was released for free for the general public. Since it got so much support and recognition quickly, and due to dispute, a new entity, Open Source Matters and code fork of Mambo, was developed, which is called Joomla. Joomla CMS has evolved over time, and its many new versions were released one after another in just a few years.
Different Joomla Versions
As we know, Joomla was a result of the dispute of Mambo, which was formed as a non-profit organization with the intention of protecting the project from lawsuits. It is used widely to create both simple and complex web applications. Joomla is a spelling of Swahili “jumla”, which means “all together”. In September 2016, the first official version of Joomla was released with some major bug fixes. It was basically a rebranding version. Over 3 years, many new versions with so many updates and new changes were released.
1. Joomla 1.x Series
- Joomla 1.0: It was the first-ever release of Joomla on 22 September 2005. It is basically for the rebranding release of Mambo. The basic motive of this release is rebranding with major bug fixes. By voting in the community members, the company decided on the logo of Joomla on 29 September 2005.
- Joomla 1.5: It was the first major version of Joomla, which was released on 22nd January 2008. This version has got new features and new power levels in the world of CMS (Content Management Systems). It has got full support and enthusiasm from the public. In this version, Joomla has got APIs as well, which helped it to become international CMS. This is the version of Joomla, which has got long term support from the public. Joomla 1.5 was officially ended in April 2012 with the release of Joomla 3.0. The last version of Joomla 1.5v was 1.5.26, which was released on 27th March 2012.
- Joomla 1.6.0: This version of Joomla was released on 10th January 2011. Many advanced level features were added in this version, enhancing its capability and attracting the public towards it. Features like improvement in Admin interface, a hierarchy of user-defined category, full access-list control, etc.
- Joomla 1.7.0: This version of Joomla was released in July 2011. This version added some new and important features related to the security and improved migration tools. Features added in this version were very quite important from the user perspective.
2. Joomla 2.x Series
Joomla’s 2.x version was released in 2012 and was one of the major revisions announced after the version 1.x release.
It has got some necessary improvements like:
- Making new APIs making it easier for the users to use the application.
- Adding the feature for the user to update the data in just one click.
- One of the major features of multi-language was added in this release.
- Bug fixes like registration form on the login page, display of currencies, light box for product images, etc.
- SSL features for different pages like login, register, title, etc., were added.
- Image resizing and adding new events for plugins were added.
This version of Joomla is an LTS (Long Term Support) release.
3. Joomla 3.x Series
The release of Joomla 3.x was started in 2012. Joomla 3.0 was released in September 2012.
This version focuses on some of the important features like:
- The more intuitive backend of the website.
- Mobile-friendly websites for the users.
- Fixing some major bugs of the 2.x release.
After six months of the release of Joomla 3.0, Joomla 3.1 was released for the users. It included one of the important features of tagging for the users. With the release of Joomla 3.2 and 3.3, which released in November 2013 and April 2014, respectively, it became one of the most popular versions of Joomla making. Other versions obsolete as it helps in the ease of access of websites for the users.
Some features given below were introduced in this version of Joomla:
- Ease of navigation in the website.
- Editing the content of the website.
- A search was added for the various website pages.
- Checking the products in stock before ordering.
- Ability to unlock an unfinished item on the website.
Various discussions were done to develop the CMS series, which is easy to maintain and less cumbersome as the Joomla website was fat and quite difficult to maintain in future. Joomla 3.7 was finally released in April 2017. New features like editing features in the admin panel, adding delivery time in shipping prices, adding and removing add-ons, inserting video code, notification for the new version to the users, etc., were added.
4. Joomla 4.x Series
With all the chaos that happened in the Joomla 3.x series, the team decided to develop a stable build to improve the relationship between the members. After long discussions on the current situations and the changes that needed to be done, the team was more productive and made many changes in the project.
Some of the features that were added in this release were:
- Focused on the usability of the backend interface of Joomla 4.
- Support for PHP5 was removed.
- Support for SQL server has been removed.
- The team members made a new strategy for the development.
- Active engagement of team member in testing rather than criticizing the previous releases.
- Admin code refactoring was done, along with some major bug fixes.
Conclusion – Joomla Version
The above description clearly explains the full version history of Joomla. It is one of the most popular and widely used systems for content management and designing of software. It is used worldwide and is considered one of the most reliable, easy to use and secure applications to use. It has got wide support and a lot of enthusiasm from the people in such a short period of time.
This is a guide to Joomla Version. Here we discuss the introduction and different Joomla versions for better understanding. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –