Introduction to ISTQB Interview Questions and Answers
ISTQB i.e. International Software Testing Qualifications Board is a body that comprises representatives from the existing national board like ASTQB, the American Software Testing Qualification Board. ISTQB brings a truly international standard for software testers. There are programs arranged at the advanced level, supported by ISTQB Certified Tester, that can fulfill the gap between industry practices and research efficiently. Two-level are being introduced for this certification: Foundation level and Advanced level certificates. Former certification program does not require a work experience, it marks the certificate holder’s level of knowledge of concepts of software testing and all related terminology, whereas Advanced Level certification is more intensive and in-depth, ensure the certificate holder’s knowledge about testing more thorough, not just in theory but on practical level as well.
Below are the top-most questions asked in the interview:
Now, if you are looking for a job which is related to ISTQB then you need to prepare for the 2019 ISTQB Interview Questions. It is true that every interview is different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important ISTQB Interview Questions and Answers which will help you get success in your interview. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – ISTQB Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic ISTQB Interview Questions and Answers.
Q1. What are the types of software testing?
- Black-box testing – This type of testing is on an abstract level. To perform this type of testing, the tester does not need to have a thorough understanding of the internal working of the components comprising the software under testing. It is being performed at a higher level and has nothing to do with the internal working of components. Example – System testing is one of the fine examples, where system component interaction is being tested rather than testing the component.
- White-box testing – This testing is being performed at an inner level, unlike Black-box testing. The functionality of core components is also being tested thoroughly. Example – Unit testing was done at the developer level is one such example of White-box testing.
Q2. Why is software testing necessary?
This is the basic ISTQB Interview Questions asked in an interview. No software in this world is without faults or bugs. The existence of a bug or defect is inevitable, which every developer and tester must go through. Fault-detection is mandatory to ensure a smoother software operation. Fault-detection eventually leads to fault-correction. A static test can be performed early on the software creation process, which would perform early fault-detection from requirements and designs. Later on, further detection can be done by executing the dynamic test. Thus, software testing becomes a necessary feature, since no software can be done away with faulty and buggy piece of code.
Q3. Which type of testing is applicable for Web testing?
Testing any web application is very important to ensure a smooth-running web application. Two types of testing are mandatory – performance and security testing. Web applications are highly vulnerable to form of attacks, which may appear in the form of a virus. So, security testing is an important part to consider, while testing a web application. On the other side, a web application can server many users, concurrently accessing the application, in the form of innumerable request thread from users. So, load testing and stress testing are equally important to test the performance aspect of a web application. There are various tools available, which can simulate many threads at the same time, to test the load a web application is able to bear functionally. Example of one such tool is famous JMeter for any Java-based web application, which can simulate the multiple threads.
Let us move to the next ISTQB Interview Questions.
Q4. What are the different test planning activities?
There are several steps associated with a test planning activity. These steps can be mentioned as follow: –
4.5 (1,035 ratings)
- The first step could decide the purpose or objective of testing, and what is the scope of planned testing.
- How one should approach the testing i.e. defining the entry and exit criteria of testing.
- Which feature of application would be tested by which resource, these kinds of decision can be taken a moment, once the approach is finalized.
- Test design session can be scheduled among testers, once resources are finalized.
- Tools can be decided for the required testing feature once test design session is done.
- Current progress of testing can be reported thereafter by all testers responsible for their feature.
- Once testing is being done, exit reports can be produced by respective testers with their functionalities.
Q5. What is the relevant piece of information, which can be included in a defect or bug report?
A bug report is an outcome after all the efforts put in by the tester during his/her testing process. Any bug report should consist of the following points:
- Summary of the defect.
- Time period at which, a defect was being found and raised.
- Reporter of the defect.
- The severity of the defect.
- A defect is assigned to which component.
- Description of the defect, with steps to reproduce it.
- Any screenshot was taken or attached, if deemed necessary.
Part 2 – ISTQB Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced ISTQB Interview Questions.
Q6. What are the testing techniques available with their purpose?
Purpose of any testing technique is very fundamental, and it addresses basically two points: reduce the number of test cases and assist in identifying the defects.
Equivalence partitioning is one such testing technique, which helps in attaining above mentioned point. It can help cut down the number of test cases, by recognizing the different sets of data which are unique, and only executing test from each set of data.
State Transition testing uses various input data and it validates allowed and disallowed state and perform transitions from one state to another.
Boundary value analysis is used to understand the behavior of a system, at the boundaries of permissible data.
Q7. What are the ways to test the login feature of a web application?
Multiple ways can be described to test the login feature of any web application.
- First, perform a sign in with a valid login, then do a sign-out and then go back to the login page to check if you are logged out or not.
- Sign in with a valid login, close and reopen the browser and check if you are still logged in or not.
- Sign in from one browser, open another browser window to test if you need to sign in again or not.
- Sign in with a valid login and then change the password, log out and then test if you can log in using an old password or not.
Let us move to the next ISTQB Interview Questions.
Q8. What is Agile testing?
There are certain agile methodologies which are being implemented for a project, to perform the testing part, which is being referred to as agile testing. Test-driven development or TDD is one such methodology, where test cases are pondered over by a think tank, various scenarios are being considered before doing the actual development. This approach is beneficial, which would reduce the number of defect or test cases after development is being finalized. Alternatively, one can say that development is treated as the customer of testing.
Q9. What is Adhoc testing?
This is the frequently asked ISTQB Interview Questions in an interview. A tester can randomly access the system’s functionality while trying to break the system. This phase of testing can be cited as Adhoc testing. Example – Negative testing one such example, which can fall under the category the ad-hoc testing.
Q10. What is Acceptance testing?
An agreed acceptance criterion is usually discussed with the customer, which involves points to meet in order to accept a software product. Then, testing is performed to validate the software meet, as per acceptance criteria. This type of testing is called acceptance testing.
This has been a guide to the list of ISTQB Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these ISTQB Interview Questions easily. Here in this post, we have studied top ISTQB Interview Questions which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –