Updated March 22, 2023
Who is a Hadoop Administrator?
Hadoop Administrator is the person who helps in managing data storage, preserving the resources that are available in the Hadoop framework. Hadoop Administrator is responsible for the implementation of the ongoing administration of Hadoop infrastructure, setting up new Hadoop user by working with the delivery teams, Cluster maintenance, Performance tuning, managing and reviewing Hadoop log files, installation of operating system and Hadoop update patches by collaborating with the application teams and many more, along with all these responsibilities hadoop administrator is the only point of contact for the vendor escalation.
Why do we Need Hadoop Administrator?
IT has been observed that Hadoop has become a higher priority in IT sectors all over the world. Probably, Hadoop implementation has a production of a large number of clusters with a greater number of nodes and they require an administrator to monitor their performance. Their day-to-day activities involve keeping track of all the Hadoop jobs which is scheduled. Clusters are activated towards failures offer and provide test performance and the admin must have an eye on the cluster tasks.
This framework purely makes business domain get the proper information by searching and visualizations which in turn need Hadoop admin. Admin receives detailed information about the data nodes with the help of the interface. A complete distributed file system could be navigated from the admin interface. We can have much explored being a Hadoop administrator. It is a quite challenging career when it comes to a non-programmer. Also, they give hands-on manual setup when Hadoop works with open source projects.
Roles and Responsibilities of Hadoop Administrator
Their role provides to access and monitor a running application and their state information. Their duties are to typically set up the network in the Hadoop cluster and other utilities like software and hardware installation, repairs in the Hadoop. Previous working knowledge on Linux gives an excellent position for the Hadoop administrator. Their role is to watch the resource allocation and de-allocation for better optimization. A developer can take up the role of Administrator. Their key activities involve checking database connectivity and batch jobs.
Following are the part of the Hadoop administrator responsibilities:
- Maintenance of file system.
- Hadoop clustering managing and monitoring and reports the user (includes name node and data nodes).
- Monitoring a Hadoop cluster throughout the time.
- Determining the size of the cluster based on HDFS.
- Adding and removing of new nodes and their availability.
- Maintaining high data security and privacy on an excellent authentication also adding valid users and promoting permissions on the clusters.
- Helps in implementing and configuring Hadoop infrastructure.
- Doing Hadoop updating and installing the operating system.
- Maintaining HDFS file system Performance on Hadoop balancer and Fine-tuning on effective tasks and deploying Hadoop job flows.
- Helps in the installation of Hadoop.
Skills Required to Become Hadoop Administrator
Below are the skills proficient to become a Hadoop admin and forms an essential requirement:
- Hadoop runs on Linux environment and HBase, therefore, strong knowledge of them and experience in a shell is mandatory.
- Hands-on knowledge of Hadoop and educational background on mathematics. Understanding Hadoop architecture gives them an overview of the working of the nodes and clusters.
- A clear understanding of SQL to use hive components and maintenance tasks like back-up and recovery.
- Basic skills in networking, cluster monitoring, and configuration management abilities.
- Microsoft certifications and any certifications programs, licenses. Furthermore, the required training on memory management, clarifying bottlenecks.
- We need to know how Hadoop’s functionality works, and the components give us a better role in this.
- Responsibility on managing log files of Hadoop.
- It should pose multitasking, problem-solving, and good analytical skills.
- Candidate should have hands-on experience in Hive and Ozzie Problem solving skills.
- Good understanding with troubleshooting of core java is required.
- Familiarity with OS management will be an added value to this role.
Career Path for Hadoop Administrator
According to research analysis, it is viewed Hadoop administration has a market share of nearly about 21.5% and Hadoop is rapidly growing in the IT industry covering the highest paid job in big data analytics. And this area is very easy to get into it and in the market, they provide plenty of job opportunities in big data too. The career path of admin is divided into two sectors: DBA responsibility and data warehousing responsibility. In different business sectors, Hadoop admin has vast vacancies according to statistics. Many companies like TCS, Verizon, GE corporate, Amazon, Horton works, Walmart is hiring Hadoop administrators and they have been offered good salary.
Delegates who have good responsibilities and optimizations as Hadoop admin has a better scope. Also, the recruiters see on experience with system operations, monitoring resource utilization, and rectifying memory utilization. Most of the companies seek performance of duties on the data system and their job role is much strength to take care of clusters. Data administrators in various domains can also learn Hadoop administrators and works with them. A certified professional gets a huge dollar as an average salary.
In this article, we have gone through the principles of Hadoop administrators. We have seen overall information details about the cluster nodes, running applications, and HDFS. The core objective is we can understand concepts on big data and Hadoop distributions. Hadoop is been part of many corporate companies like yahoo, Quantcast, facebook, netseer, etc and to all these domains we need an administrator for storing and processing any amount of bulk data. Many factors should be taken into mind when they are involved in the performance of a business. Perhaps, they are not limited to that, their works are not visible to other parts of the section in the IT industry. Furthermore, it helps to continue the safety of Hadoop clusters.
This is a guide to Hadoop Administrator. Here we discuss who is hadoop administrator, why do we need it, skills required, career path along with roles and responsibilities. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –