Difference Between Graphs vs Charts
Graphs and charts are almost similar terminology and used widely by the corporates or in any other business proposals, presentations for various purpose, etc. for representing either numbers, reports or performance etc. Line graphs, pie charts, nautical charts, circle graphs: Graphs and charts as mentioned sometimes they seem to be the same, but at times they can seem to be very different. The confusion over graphs vs charts might appear to be frustrating at first instance, but it’s easy to learn the variances and clear up the confusion.
A graph is a type of diagram and a mathematical function which can also be used about a diagram of the data which is statistical. A diagram that is showing the relation between the variable quantities, typically of 2 variables, and where each will be measured along 1 of a pair of the axes at the right angles.
On the other hand, a chart is a form of graphic representation of the data, where a line chart is one kind of the form. A chart does represent the numeric data in a tabular form and can also represent functions or some type of qualitative structure and can provide different information.
Head To Head Comparison Between Graphs vs Charts (Infographics)
Below is the top 6 difference between Graphs vs Charts
Key Differences Between Graphs vs Charts
Both Graphs vs Charts are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between Graphs vs Charts
- The major key difference between the graphs vs charts is that graph is a type of diagram which will represent a system of interrelations or connections among the 2 or more than 2 things by several distinctive lines, dots, bars, etc. and whereas the chart as stated earlier is a type of graphical representation of the information or the data, in which “the data that is represented by the symbols, like the lines in a line chart, bars in the bar chart, or the slices in a pie chart”.
- Graphs are the subset of the charts as the charts are the larger version of the same.
- Graphs represent the mathematical connections or interrelationships between the different set of the data whereas the charts represent the diagrams where one can find the depicted information or the data.
- As mentioned earlier all type of graphs are charts, but on the flip side, not all charts are graphs.
- Charts are the larger group of methods for depicting or representing the data or the information while to the contrary the graphs provide one of those methods (that charts use to represent the information) by presenting the data in a visual format.
- A chart will illustrate the information or the data by using only one quantitative coordinate whereas to the flip side a graph is a type of method of relating one qualitative variable to the other quantitative variable, and generally its time.
Graphs vs Charts Comparison Table
Below is the 6 topmost comparison between Graphs vs Charts
|The Basis of comparison between Graphs vs Charts||
|Basic Definition||A graph is a kind of diagram which represents a system of interrelations or connections among 2 or more things by several distinctive lines, dots, bars, etc.||A Chart is a kind of graphical representation of the data, in which “the data which is represented by the symbols, like the lines in a line chart, bars in the bar chart, or the slices in a pie chart”.|
|Representation||Graphs will show the mathematical connections or interrelationship between the sets of data.||Charts will present the information or the data in the form of diagrams, graphs or tables.|
|Are they same?||All kind of graphs are charts; hence graphs are one kind of chart.||All kind of charts is not graphs.|
|Scope||Graphs also provide the visual form by using one of those methods (i.e. the larger group of the charts) by presenting data in a visualized format.||Charts are the larger group of methods that are used for presenting the data or the information.|
|What they do?||Graphs will make pictures of the numerical data or numerical information.||Diagrams that are used in the charts can show the sequential events such as the history of the U.S.A. government’s nutritional guidelines or the rock cycle.|
|Their Types||Pie charts, bar graphs, line graphs etc. all are types of graphs and are used for many different purposes.||As stated earlier graphs are the subset of the charts and hence charts do not have their own type but however, there are Examples of charts such as using the maps to include drunk driving statistics or volcano and earthquake locations.|
Conclusion – Graphs vs Charts
Charts are one of the most appropriate for the quantitatively comparing the groups of data or the discrete categories. The most popular charts are a bar, column, line, and the pie charts. A bar chart will be particularly useful for displaying the information or the data about the gender, occupation, ethnicity, types of discharges, and treatment categories. Bar charts are useful or appropriate for displaying the categorical information or categorical data. Bar charts will compare groups or categories by using some of the quantitative measurement.
4.5 (335 ratings)
Graphs, on the other hand, can be simple, or they can turn out to be quite complicated, but they must be always selected to represent their information or the data as clearly as possible. Sometimes the 2 graphs can be better than one graph if each of the graphs shows a different aspect of the same set of information or the data set. Not all the graphs that are created equal, however. The kind of graph that will be used will depend upon the kind of data set.
Most of the common graphs that are used: are histograms and frequency polygons. Quantitative continuous data can be displayed via a graph.
Charts are for when there’s one qualitative variable (Like the type, gender or preference) and 1 quantitative variable (Like age, time or amount). These shall include bar charts and pie charts. Whereas the graphs are for when one has 2 quantitative variables.
One may not find graphs in the following kind of charts.
- Eye testing chart
- Look-up chart
- Pie chart
This has been a guide to the top difference between Graphs vs Charts. Here we also discuss the Graphs vs Charts key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more