GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel (Table of Contents)
GETPIVOTDATA in Excel
As the name itself suggests GETPIVOTDATA means, Get the Data from Pivot Table. It is a kind of pivot table lookup function. It is categorized under Lookup and Reference function. This function helps in extracting data from specified fields in a Pivot Table. Pivot Table is an analysis tool, which summarises a large amount of data to readable manner.
Getpivotdata can query a pivot table and retrieve specific data based on the table structure instead of the references.
GETPIVOTDATA Formula in Excel
The Formula for the GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel is as follows:
This function consists of Data Field, Pivot Table, [Field1, Item1], [Field2,Item2], [Field3,Item3].
Before explaining, the syntax one by one let us looks into the simple example.
In the above function, we are looking for Grand Total Amount of the Region East.
4.9 (307 ratings)
Data Field: in the above example, the data field means what is the heading total you are looking for. In the above example, we are looking for Sales Amount Total. This is not an optional argument but a required argument.
Pivot Table: This is a reference to your Data Field cell. In the example, shown above data filed i.e. Sales Amt is residing in the cell A3 that is why it is taking a reference as A3.
[Field1, Item1]: We are looking for a Grand Total of Sales Amt for the Region (i.e. [Field1]) East (i.e. Item1).
How to Use GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel?
GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel is very simple and easy to use. Let understand the working of GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel by Some Examples.
GETPIVOTDATA in Excel Example #1
If you have Region in column 1, Project in column 2, Sales Person in column 3 and Sales Values in column4. You need to get the total of Mr. Sanju using Getpivotdata. Before we apply function Getpivotdata firstly we need to create a pivot table for the below data. Go ahead and apply the function.
After applying the pivot table your table should look like this.
Pro Tip: There two ways you can apply Getpivotdata function in excel.
- One is by just clicking equal sign (=) in any cell (apart from pivot table cell) and select the desired cell in the pivot table field.
- Secondly manually enter the formula just like other formulas in excel.
Type 1: Click on any cell and select the desired result cell in the pivot table. This will give you a value of 2,16,444.
Type 2: Enter equal sign on any cell and enter Getpivotdata function.
Now in the Data_Field section type “Sales Amt”. In Pivot_Table section type “I1”(reference cell where your Sales Amt resides, in my case it is I1). In the [Field 1]section type “Sales Person” and in [Item1] section type “Sanju”. This will give you a value of 2,16,444.
GETPIVOTDATA in Excel Example #2 – Get Pivot Table Sub Totals
Use the same data table but insert a below kind of pivot table to use the multi-criterion Getpivotdata function. Your pivot should look like this.
Now the requirement is to get the value of Mr. Ramu for Project 2.
=GETPIVOTDATA(“Sales Amt”,$A$20,”Project Code”,”Project2″,”Sales Person”,”Ramu”)
Data_Field: Sales Amt is the data filed.
Pivot_Table: Cell reference of Sales Amt.
[Filed1] & [Item1]: Project Code is Filed we are looking for and under project code, we are looking for Project 2.
[Filed2] & [Item2]: Sales Person is filed, under this, we are looking for Ramu.
That means we are looking for the total sales amount of Mr. Ramu for Project 2.
Please note the overall sales amount for Mr. Ramu is 3,92,051 but for Project 2 it is 3,52,519.
GETPIVOTDATA in Excel Example #3
Below is the monthly sales data for the Company XYZ. With the use of pivot table find the Total Sales Amount for the date 26-02-2018.
Pivot Table Fields & Values
- Apply pivot table for the above data.
- Row data should be Date
- Value Field should be Sales Amt.
Pivot Table will look like this.
By using this table, find out the sale of 26th Feb 2018.
To get a correct answer while typing a date below is the Getpivotdata Formula.
The sale of 26th Feb 2018 is 643835.
Things to Remember About GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel
- You cannot change the first argument of the function i.e. Data_Field to a cell reference. If so result will throw an error as #REF.
- By default Excel will take date format as DATE (2018,2,26) but you change this by just entering the date in “dd-mm-yyyy” format i.e. “26-02-2018”.
- A function will return a value of #REFerror in case of incorrect supply of data_field. you cannot give a cell reference to this section.
- All the characters of the syntax must begin with double quotes (“) and should end with the same.
- Apart from data_field for all the remaining fields, we can give a cell reference. This also will give the same result.
- Calculated fields or items and custom calculations are part of this function.
- All the fields should be visible to get the desired result. If the data is not visible then the function will return a #REF error type.
- This function will work across Grand Total & All the Sub Total of the Pivot Table.
You can download this GETPIVOTDATA Function Excel template here – GETPIVOTDATA-Function-Excel-Template
This has been a guide to GETPIVOTDATA in Excel. Here we discuss the GETPIVOTDATA Formula in Excel and how to use GETPIVOTDATA Function in Excel along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –